20 Weeks of Strength Building - Team Finish_No_Matter_What

Options

Replies

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @tiffanylacourse I eat low carb but not keto. After the first few days, it got really easy for me. It's worth dealing with the first few days to have smoother blood sugars and be able to eat in a deficit without feeling like I'm starving all the time! There's also a Low Carb Daily group that has a lot of info and recipes.

Workout:
    Squats 3x5@ 145. Still heavy but only felt like the last couple reps were really grindy. Still probably a smidge shy on depth for some reps though, so staying here at least one more day before I worry about increasing.

Bench press: 5x5 @ 77. I probably could have done 80 but the smallest plates at my gym are 2.5 lb and a 5 lb jump is a lot for upper body for me. I may try it next time though.

Wretched rows: 5x5 @ 92. I still hate them, but I think the heavier weight is actually making it easier to do them properly. I feel my back working more instead of it being all arms, so that's something.

We're supposed to get up to a foot of snow in my area this week so I'm not sure how that'll affect my workouts--hopefully not too much.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 - Thanks. I think I would do low(er) carb - probably not keto. I just know I can't go THAT low on carbs. I'm a huge believer in everything in moderation. I just have been epically failing at the moderation end of things. :expressionless:
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here doing low carb? My doctor's new recommendation is as follows:

"Discussed with pt BMI. Pt advised to execise daily and to limit desserts, juices, soda, bread and carbohydrates"

To be honest, soda I can avoid without any hesitation. I don't really like pop or drink it that often. BUT CARBS? I love pasta, bread, potatoes, desserts, etc.

How do you do it? Any recommendations/tips?

Tiffany, I eat only animal products like meat, eggs and dairy. No grains, sugar, fruits or veggies. When I started a few months ago, the cravings were hard. The cravings do go away if you abstain long enough though. I got a bag of chocolates a few weeks ago, and that caused me to crave it again and I ate the whole bag in about 10 days, I just wanted some everyday! Since then I havent bought anymore so it doesnt trigger cravings.

You certainly dont have to be as extreme as I am, but I have issues with grains and sugars so this works for me. The point is, it is doable!
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

I love to eat meat fish dairy butter bacon eggs cheese!
    This is essentially all I eat! Drink coffee with heavy cream and water with an occasional glass of wine but very little else.

• amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 - Thanks. I think I would do low(er) carb - probably not keto. I just know I can't go THAT low on carbs. I'm a huge believer in everything in moderation. I just have been epically failing at the moderation end of things. :expressionless:

Yeah, keto is too low for me. I don't like the stevia/aspartame sugar replacements so I just account for using regular sugar and some vegetables. I'm also not willing to give up fruit forever, so low carb works for me. I plan to stay LCHF indefinitely since it helps my PCOS/IR and hypothyroid symptoms and feels very sustainable for me. I miss things like oatmeal and a really good sourdough bread, but I really struggle to moderate when I eat them, so abstinence is better for me there.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Yeah, keto is too low for me. I don't like the stevia/aspartame sugar replacements so I just account for using regular sugar and some vegetables. I'm also not willing to give up fruit forever, so low carb works for me. I plan to stay LCHF indefinitely since it helps my PCOS/IR and hypothyroid symptoms and feels very sustainable for me. I miss things like oatmeal and a really good sourdough bread, but I really struggle to moderate when I eat them, so abstinence is better for me there.

I think I definitely need to look into LCHF moreso than keto. Thanks!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm sorry I completely fell off the wagon for a few weeks but I'm back. I haven't weighed in but I'm thankful that despite my convenience eating and lack of exercise my skinny jeans still fit. Whew. I'm guessing all the work I've been doing on my house helped to offset my diet.

Also thankful I didn't lose any strength. I actually felt really strong
    Squat 115
    Bench 75
    Row 80

Amy I'm am so impressed by your squat. Congrats to everyone still pushing!

Btw we accepted a full price offer on our house today so exciting! We didn't even put up a for sale sign yet. So thankful I can now get back to my routine!
  • cherrybomb333
    cherrybomb333 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the house, @rachel5576! And sorry to everyone that I didn't have a chance to post last week. Making the switch to hypertrophy for Phase 2 of my program has been fun, but challenging. I definitely prefer heavy weights/low reps/longer rest periods, but I'm hoping the shock to my usual routine will bring good results!

Week 11: Day 1

Barbell Squats
    95lb x 12 x 3 sets

Incline Barbell Chest Press
    65lb x 8 x 3

Barbell Row
    55lb x 12 x 3

Dumbbell Shrug
    30lb x 12 x 3

Dumbbell Curls
    15lb x 10 x 3

Triceps Press
    70 x 12 x 3

Hanging Leg Raise
    Bodyweight x 8 x 3

Seated Calf Raise
    40 x 12 x 3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-19X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Nicer weather today! Just getting ready to go on the first of my 2 mile walks today! 2-2 mile walks!

I lost another 0.4 lbs yesterday! The keto diet is fantastic! Today I am having cheese curds and deep-fried mini pork shanks dipped in ranch dressing! This is not a diet for me it is the way I love to eat! Eat fat burn fat and cholesterol drops! Unbelievable!

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Rachel, congrats on the house!

Cherrybomb, your routine is similar to mine but you are lifting a lot more weight. Great job!

Mary, your weight loss is unbelievable. That's so crazy-cool how you drop nearly daily. Mine has been going well too but because it's something new I'm afraid to claim victory but hopefully I can claim a small one the week we post our next 4 week results. I love your result posting -- so motivating. Keep up the great work! I can't wait until my results are good enough to post a picture.

Go Team Finish_No_Matter_What
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-14X 10 X 35
    I have increased the weight of the Kettlebell from 30 pounds to 35 pounds.

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Finally a beautiful day today! Getting ready for my first of two-2 mile walks for today. I might go for three!

I was excited to see a 0.4 lb loss today! I'm still a fat burning machine! Eating this way for me really drops the weight quickly and steadily.

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Week: 11 Workout: 2

All exercise 3 x 12 with 30 secs rest.
    Kettle bell Goblet Squat
    DB Press
    DB Bent over row
    DB Upright Row
    DB Alt Hammer Curl
    Barbell Tricep Extension

Go Team Finish_No_Matter_What
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Aww, thanks @rachel5576! Nothing for me today, our area is recovering from a snowstorm and there's tons of ice everywhere. Should be back in the gym tomorrow, though!
  • rachel5576
    Options
    I was pretty sore from Monday's workout so I deloaded some, kept squat same
    Squat 115
    OHP 45 (guess I'm back where I started)
    Deadlift 125

Did my first run of the month yesterday. Feels good to be back at it!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-10X 7X 35

Walk every day! Today I am taking a minimum of 2 - 2 1/2 mile walks.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Bit of a mixed bag in the workout today. I may have messed my back up a little, will have to see how it feels tonight/tomorrow. I did DL with the regular straight bar instead of the hex bar I usually use, and forgot to deload it a little to compensate for the slight differences in stance and setup. Definitely used my lower back more than I should have and failed a DL for the first time. Hopefully the soreness is just soreness and nothing more.

Squats: 3x5 @ 145
    OHP (standing): 5x5 @ 57. Skinny bar for the win, even standing!
    Deads: 1 @ 165 then failed the next. Deloaded to 155 and managed 1x4 but struggled and used my lower back too much.

I keep saying this, but I think I'm seriously going to have to consider switching to something like 5/3/1. The volume, even at 3x5 with squats, is just wearing me down lately. I'm sure being in a deficit makes lifting harder, but I think my legs being so fatigued also made it hard to DL properly. I've only been doing SL for 4-5 months but I feel like I've exhausted my noob gainz and am up against the wall on DL (sooooo close to bodyweight, argh!). Thoughts/advice?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X 10 X 35

Shopping today! I am going to walk the mall!
  • rachel5576
    Options
    I hope your back is ok Amy. You could try to mix up your reps. I've read from so many different places that it's really hard to gain muscle while being in a deficit (but not impossible). So for myself personally I'm just trying to maintain the strength I have and get stronger once I reach goal weight. If you find a way to gain strength after noob gains please let me know
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    rachel5576 wrote: »
    I hope your back is ok Amy. You could try to mix up your reps. I've read from so many different places that it's really hard to gain muscle while being in a deficit (but not impossible). So for myself personally I'm just trying to maintain the strength I have and get stronger once I reach goal weight. If you find a way to gain strength after noob gains please let me know

Thanks Rachel! My back is pretty sore but I think it's just muscle strain, not true injury. After talking to a friend who's a trainer, I'll stick with SL a bit longer but might try 3x3 as I move up in squats. My goals are to lose weight, gain strength, and maintain the muscle I have. I don't know that it's really possible to gain noticeable muscle in a deficit, but strength gains should be doable. From my understanding, the strength gains don't stop after the noob gainz end, they just slow down a lot. I do think my SL time is limited, and I'll probably move on within the next couple months at longest.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 3
    Russian kettle bell swing-13X7X 35

Nicer weather today! Just got back from the first of my 2 mile walks today! 2-2 mile walks!

Not really trying to increase the amount of weight on my lifts until I am done eating at a deficit. I did however increase the weight of my kettle bell. Supposedly it should tighten my muscles and increase strength. We'll see!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-26X 10 X 35

Finally a beautiful day today! It's supposed to get up to 50° today! Getting ready for my first of two-2 mile walks for today. I might go for three!