Stroke Rate: Fast v Slower - A journey of exploration

Options
2»

Replies

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Wow, that change from 50 or so to 72 happened in just a few days. Interesting. I am at 50/51 strokes per minute right now. The trick is not to lose efficiency while increasing stroke rate, a mix of strength and being in shape I think.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wow, that change from 50 or so to 72 happened in just a few days. Interesting. I am at 50/51 strokes per minute right now. The trick is not to lose efficiency while increasing stroke rate, a mix of strength and being in shape I think.

I'd have to be in incredible shape to hit 29 seconds for one lap, never mind 141 laps.
  • dwisehart
    dwisehart Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I'd have to be in incredible shape to hit 29 seconds for one lap, never mind 141 laps.

Yeah, that would definitely be world class: 141 laps of 50 meters times 29 seconds would be 68 minutes for just over 7,000 meters. Katie Ledecky's record is 1,500 meters in 15-1/2 minutes. Sun Yang has done the same in 14-1/2 minutes.
  • dwisehart
    dwisehart Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wrong topic. Delete this post.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    dwisehart wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Yeah, that would definitely be world class: 141 laps of 50 meters times 29 seconds would be 68 minutes for just over 7,000 meters. Katie Ledecky's record is 1,500 meters in 15-1/2 minutes. Sun Yang has done the same in 14-1/2 minutes.

A girl on a high school team did the mile at a meet in under 16 minutes supposedly. It was on the news.
    I did start asking some 50 sprints a few times here in China. I plan to keep that up at home. Boy does that get my heart rate up!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks AQ! Properly food for thought. I'm still very much a beginner, but it gives some shape to what my impromptu 'coach' was talking about. Probably need to hit the weight room soon!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    So it's 2022.
    I stopped swimming for quite a number of years and just got back into it last year.
    Gone back to the drawing board. Slowed everything down again (in the stroke rate department) and concentrating on correct form and stroke length as I rebuild my stamina!
    Then I'll start tweaking up the stroke rate bit by bit. No sudden changes this time.