In Ketosis - Fat Fast Help

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
So I am in ketosis and would like to do a 3 day fat fast.
My question is: instead of following a "normal" fat fast diet (as one shown on ruled.me), can I get all my fat from coffee and HWC? I am planning on drinking 5 coffees and HWC a day during my fasts. This will land me with 1000 calories, 100g fat, 5g protein and 0g carbs.
does this sound ok?

I am aiming for a 3 day water fast, but want to see how I do with this type first. I am dying for the energy a fast can produce!

Replies

• rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    yes sounds like fat fast. I just want to say be careful doing fat fasts. From my experience...I ate LCHF for 2 years and lost a lot of weight, but also a lot of muscle. You've probably heard of "skinny fat". Be sure to eat enough protein to preserve/build muscle. That's what I'm in the process of attempting now....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree on eating enough protein. I had a thread earlier on here about zero carb and fueling for the brain (will have to come back and post the link). The short explanation is that your brain / central nervous system need glucose; and protein is an efficient place to get glucose. While you may not need quite as much while in ketosis, you still need some glucose. If you aren't eating protein, your body will take muscle for conversion to glucose. At 0g carbs, and 5g protein, you will lose muscle.

ETA for link to the other thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39087178
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    I agree on eating enough protein. I had a thread earlier on here about zero carb and fueling for the brain (will have to come back and post the link). The short explanation is that your brain / central nervous system need glucose; and protein is an efficient place to get glucose. While you may not need quite as much while in ketosis, you still need some glucose. If you aren't eating protein, your body will take muscle for conversion to glucose. At 0g carbs, and 5g protein, you will lose muscle.

ETA for link to the other thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39087178

from my own research, I have to disagree. My body has enough storage to last the 3 days plus many more. But losing muscle, at my body weight/type right now just makes absolutely no sense. maybe if my numbers were much lower, but not now.

This is a decision I made for myself, from my own research. If it blows up in my face, at least I tried. The #1 issue with fasting is people throw the idea out the window before giving it a chance. "Don't knock it until you try it" - so I am trying it.

I was more so looking for info on whether I can get all my fat from the HWC or if I need to add other sources.

I am gearing up for an extended water fast.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

from my own research, I have to disagree. My body has enough storage to last the 3 days plus many more. But losing muscle, at my body weight/type right now just makes absolutely no sense. maybe if my numbers were much lower, but not now.

This is a decision I made for myself, from my own research. If it blows up in my face, at least I tried. The #1 issue with fasting is people throw the idea out the window before giving it a chance. "Don't knock it until you try it" - so I am trying it.

I was more so looking for info on whether I can get all my fat from the HWC or if I need to add other sources.

I would also like to do an extended water fast - for autophagy and immunity boosting. I love that HGH is elevated during that time which easily allows LBM preservation. Do you listen to Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore and Jason Fung?

I IF and don't know if I'm just going to jump in with a water fast, or do a few days fat fasting which can make a water fast easier.
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

I would also like to do an extended water fast - for autophagy and immunity boosting. I love that HGH is elevated during that time which easily allows LBM preservation. Do you listen to Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore and Jason Fung?

I IF and don't know if I'm just going to jump in with a water fast, or do a few days fat fasting which can make a water fast easier.

I have read/watched pretty much all of Dr. Fungs fasting podcasts/videos and it makes perfect sense. I am on a normal 18:6 IF schedule so I am hoping these 3 days aren't too bad.
  • Cadori
    Options
    If you want a fasting buddy, let me know! I almost tried it this week (M-Th would be the easiest timing with my schedule) but didn't. My main concern is dinnertime with my family.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I think it's more accurate to say the body will take lean mass for conversion. She will lose lean mass but it can be extra skin and connective tissues just as easily as it could be muscle. So lean tissue will be lost for sure. But it won't all be actual muscle loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you listen to Jason Fung then you have no doubt heard him speak of fast and feast. I think that's an important thing to be aware of.
    All fasting protocols should include a feasting period as well. Megan Ramos speaks about this often on fasting talk. She says that's the number one thing women especially do wrong with fasting. They fast one or several days then eat at a deficit all other days. They never feast.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Yes to this. Dr. Fungs research says that there is little to no muscle loss. That happens when situations gets severe (starvation).
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you listen to Jason Fung then you have no doubt heard him speak of fast and feast. I think that's an important thing to be aware of.
    All fasting protocols should include a feasting period as well. Megan Ramos speaks about this often on fasting talk. She says that's the number one thing women especially do wrong with fasting. They fast one or several days then eat at a deficit all other days. They never feast.

Interesting.....I'm sure that's true......When dieting us women don't like to think we are messing things up by eating too much.....
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    If you want a fasting buddy, let me know! I almost tried it this week (M-Th would be the easiest timing with my schedule) but didn't. My main concern is dinnertime with my family.

I am planning a 3 day fast next week, so sign me up too as a potential buddy.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »

I am 46? hours into my 72 hour fast and so far so good!!!

I am planning Mon to Wednesday next week. I am quite excited actually :)
  • Cadori
    Options

Ack...I want to do this too! I'm tentatively committing to it. Will yours be water only or will you have fats? Have you fasted before?
  • abowman0870
    abowman0870 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting - may give it a go when kids are gone for Spring Break....
  • Bonny132
    Options

Ack...I want to do this too! I'm tentatively committing to it. Will yours be water only or will you have fats? Have you fasted before?

Mine will be a waterfast. I have done a number of 1-2 day fasts but not a 3 day water fast. Usually due to work stress as opposed to planned ones.

When are you thinking of doing yours?
  • Cadori
    Options

Mine will be a waterfast. I have done a number of 1-2 day fasts but not a 3 day water fast. Usually due to work stress as opposed to planned ones.

Thinking of starting Monday. I've only IFed so we'll see how I do!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I really need to get around to doing more fasting research. I really wish I could remember what I read on here a while back that made me think fasting was contraindicated for people like me. (I don't remember in what way they were like me ... the PCOS? IR? MS? Hypotensive? Insomniac? So that makes it harder to google. ;) )
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I really need to get around to doing more fasting research. I really wish I could remember what I read on here a while back that made me think fasting was contraindicated for people like me. (I don't remember in what way they were like me ... the PCOS? IR? MS? Hypotensive? Insomniac? So that makes it harder to google. ;) )

I expect it would be best to get into relative good health before a long fast. I do just fine on IF but LCHF is a form of fasting if one is getting into Ketosis daily.
  • Bonny132
    Options

Thinking of starting Monday. I've only IFed so we'll see how I do!

So far so good for me, work is really busy so perfect time for it, I did not even realize I had not eaten all day before it was nearly 8pm