Terrified I'm going to gain even more weight..

Options
2»

Replies

• stit60
    stit60 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    sbom1 wrote: »
    59 years old, and same story as many have cited... Harder and harder to lose, rebound to even higher weight. Had full lab work up done, thyroid OK, cortisol OK, not insulin resistant or pre diabetes. Vit D very low, cholesterol high (already knew). Started on vit D and estrogen gel. Hope to see some results from diet and exercise over the next month. Doc feels I will, fingers crossed!

Hi. Just wondered how you're doing since the vitamin D. I had the same thing...very low. Since starting 4000mg vit. D daily, I've at least stopped gaining.
  • MnTuna
    MnTuna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are open to a suggestion I have one or two. First - talk with an Register Dietitian not a nutritionist. A nutritionist in most states in not regulated or does not have to pass specific test that establish they know what they are instructing people to do. That protects us as consumers of health information. A R,D has a four year degree, has to pass specific test to establish they know what they are talking about and they have to take ongoing training to establish they are continuing to learn about new research and strategies to help us gain our health. Okay now after saying that... my thought ( I am a clinical social worker and I have worked on in and out-patient eating disorder programs) is that by slowing your metabolism down to 850 calories you have put your body into starvation mode. (below 1000 calories which is the basic caloric intake a body needs to function) once a body is in starvation mode the body slows its metabolism making it harder to lose wgt the metabolism is slowing in order to burn calories and to make the body survive. When a person starts to eat at higher level - the metabolism continues to be slowed - not burning calories - not losing wgt. That will remain until the body has consistent caloric intake. Menopausal women have a tougher time because our metabolism has slowed and we have to alter that by good nutrition and exercise. Lynda652017's information is similar to what we gave out to patients. Stress causes us to hold on to fat because the cortisol is increased. Cortisol supports the fight or flight =-keep the fat so that we use the energy units to protect ourselves, Not sleeping well - disrupted sleep or short on hours produces the cortisol. If you are sleeping 8 hours and not feeling rested then there is a possibility you have sleep apnea. Great studies on this -(Stanford aesthetes is the most cited). Just by getting good sleep we can lose weight! Again Lynda's info about stress management. Feels good and stops the cortisol imbalance the body needs the sleep to produce Serotonin that we need for balanced mood. Vitamin D is needed to support the Serotonin that supports the balance of the cortisol. Mix reviews in studies re: when to take Vit D, before bed or in the AM. I take it at night because it supports Serotonin production. Long winded - and... that's what I do when I get concerned for people's Health. Pubmed.gov has good info. Talk to a dietitian at this point your insurance - even medicaid insurance - would probably pay for the dietitian referral and an endocrinoligist