Keto Confessions

Options
Violet_Flux
Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
Just wondering if there's anything about keto or low carb WOE that folks have never quite been able to do, eat, or grasp.

For example, there's a few things that I see come up numerous times, that I realize I'm a bit of an oddball about.

I don't like butter. I cook with it sometimes, but I've never put it on sandwiches; I prefer my corn-on-the-cob plain and dry. (Not that I eat sandwiches or corn these days.) I've been LCHF since last August and I have yet to get through the pound of butter I bought at the time.

And I don't particularily like bacon. I can eat it when it's on or in something, eg. a slice or two of bacon on a burger patty, or bacon bits on a salad, but I don't like it when it's the main attraction. I've only bought bacon once since I went LCHF, and ended up throwing half of it away.

Please don't take away my LCHF membership card or kick me out of the clubhouse! :smile:

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Haha, you don't have to like bacon or butter to do LCHF. Avocado, nuts, coconut oils, etc, there are lots of other ways to get your fat fix. I actually don't like butter much except during Shark Week when it is all I can do not to eat 5 pieces of GF toast slathered with LOTS of butter (eaten hot before the slightly crisp toast gets soggy - yeah, I'm picky even at that time of the month). Mainly I think it's about the toast though, because I have always eaten my toast dry (must be crispy on the outside, but soft and warm on the inside) and never used mayo or butter on my sandwiches because of sogginess.
    Also not a fan of most pork and my bacon MUST have no trace of bendy flabbiness. Firmly crisp only (baked in the oven).
    So I know where you are coming from...
    It's a pretty forgiving bunch on here ;)
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't like butter unless I am cooking with it either, never have!

My confession - I haven't tried BPC because it sounds incredibly nauseating lol
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I hate true BPC because I cannot stand coconut oil. It tastes like sweet fat to me and it's horrid. I can't cook with it either. Lots of people talk,about "keto coffee" with hwc or other fats and I do like HWC in coffee. Delish.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I love bacon but I only eat it maybe on a Saturday morning when my OH makes brunch. Too many calories for too small a serving for me. I do use a lot of butter though. I have it mainly blended in my coffee, maybe go through 250g a week. Sometimes if I'm under my calories I'll eat a cube like cheese :P
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with butter, bacon and coffee with coconut oil in it. My thing is I still remove chicken skin. I have not eaten it for so long, I just don't enjoy it. Instead, I put it in with the bones for chicken bone broth.

Does it really matter what we eat as long as it is LCHF/Keto (or anything else for that matter)? I like that is group is a safe haven for people who eat the way we do.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I hate true BPC because I cannot stand coconut oil. It tastes like sweet fat to me and it's horrid. I can't cook with it either. Lots of people talk,about "keto coffee" with hwc or other fats and I do like HWC in coffee. Delish.

I use 1/4 C of HWC in my coffee! love it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I could deal with butter melted, but cold, BLECH. I finally can tolerate it blended with cream cheese, which I also used to hate, but by itself, unflavored? No, thanks.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't think your an oddball! What makes this way of eating so great is you can easily tailor it to your specific likes. I'll confess I can not stand meat fat. I don't like the feel of it in my mouth. To me it's gristly, greasy, slimy and it will make me gag! I still cut it off my meat *shrugs* ... I get my fat through other ways.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Pickles and pickle juice - I know it's heresy but no can do. Yuck!!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think I want to do BPC either. Cream is all I need in coffee.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I don't think your an oddball! What makes this way of eating so great is you can easily tailor it to your specific likes. I'll confess I can not stand meat fat. I don't like the feel of it in my mouth. To me it's gristly, greasy, slimy and it will make me gag! I still cut it off my meat *shrugs* ... I get my fat through other ways.

Haha, me too. Never liked meat fat due to mouthfeel. Never touched chicken skin either, even the battered kind like KFC, lol, pre-celiac or LCHF.
    I could totally live off avocados and cheese, and my coconut oil must be the unflavoured kind although I love the fattiest coconut milk in my Thai curries.
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tried BPC for a week and hated it! Now I just use heavy cream.

I also don't like avacados. I keep buying and trying them in different variations but I just can't seem to like them, I really want to though!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

I also don't like avacados.

How could I have forgotten avocados? I really want to like them because they are so healthy and versatile, but no, nope, no! Not plain, not in a dip, not in Mexican food. I can't disguise enough to be able to eat it.

• hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Avocado makes me gag! And butter and cheese that's not melted.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

I also don't like avacados.

How could I have forgotten avocados? I really want to like them because they are so healthy and versatile, but no, nope, no! Not plain, not in a dip, not in Mexican food. I can't disguise enough to be able to eat it.

Not the biggest fan of avocados but they are ok with enough Cholula sauce on them.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Ditto the avocados, can only stand them if they're in guac.
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever had amy type of the forbidden fats in my house. It was so weird for me to start using butter and eating bacon. Still have a hard time with all the fat (healthy or not) but I have to say...I really enjoy my food now! I never new the creamy deliciousness of butter added to my coffee or my chicken soup!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain avocado at all and won't eat it that way because to me it has no flavor. I don't understand how people can eat it plain this way. If it's mixed up together with something, then yeah, I'll tolerate it like guacamole, or avocado mixed with some kind of mayo and spread on a piece of LC friendly bread as an open-faced sandwich topped with bacon, or worked into bacon cheddar deviled eggs (the recipe calls for some avocado).

I don't like plain dried/shredded coconut at all and won't eat it that way. I don't like the flavor of coconut oil by itself but I will and do use it in my cooking (I choose NOT to use the refined version). I'll tolerate dried coconut in recipes unless there's so much coconut in the recipe that it becomes coconut overkill to the point where all you can taste is coconut...that I cannot do. I will and do use coconut milk in my cooking, but I will not drink it plain...I usually choose to flavor coconut milk with some capella drops combined with a couple drops of liquid sucralose to sweeten it up a bit a cover the awful coconut flavor. I tolerate coconut more now than I ever did before simply because so many LCHF friendly recipes call for it.

Growing up, I couldn't stand white chocolate either. I have since learned to tolerate it. I also will and do use cacao butter (i.e. the basis of white chocolate) in some LCHF recipes. I do not like the way it tastes plain melted by itself (blergh)! Actually, I don't like the flavor of most oils melted by themselves, not even olive oil or lard. lol Butter is probably the one exception to that because I do like butter though my favorite kind of straight pure fat still remains HWC.

The funny thing is, I've never cared for any of these foods even as a child, even when I could eat anything I wanted.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If anyone can recommend a coconut oil that doesn't make every single food item it touches taste like coconut, please let me in on the secret. The flavor of coconut is okay for some things like certain chicken recipes. But wrecking havoc in my tomato sauce or my coffee, eee-yuck!!! My first (and last) jar of coconut oil wound up doing duty as hair masque and cuticle oil and even then I didn't care for the scent.