Jason's OMAD Journal

Replies

• Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    I ordered a Misfit Shine yesterday, I have used the trackers before and they really help me get up and move during the day.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Great posts, keep 'em coming!!!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    What does the tracker do?
  • Vanguard1
    Steps, sleep, in theory a more accurate picture of calories burned.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Trackers are the best! They really do motivate you to get all your "steps" in or whatever else you strive for! I sit on my rump 9 hours a day at work so I know I'm not getting the minimal movement I need. The struggle...ha!! Happy to see you are having fun and finding new ways to motivate you!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I've got a garmin 230 and really like it. I can look at it and think if I eat under that today, I should lose some weight or I can eat up to that and not gain!
  • Brendalea69
    I guess I need to look up those two trackers...Thanks :)
  • leveejohn
    I like the fitbit HR, because I think heart rate and duration are what it's all about . . . . says the fat guy who is still trying to get in shape in his 50's . . . :p
  • blambo61
    I don't know if heart rate tells how many calories we burn or not. If someone is in good shape their heart will be slower for the equivalent amount of power output than someone who isn't in as good of shape. Do they take that into account?
  • LittleForestOwl
    LittleForestOwl Posts: 35 Member
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    27 Feb 17 - 225.8
    06 March 17 - 224.2
    13 March - 217.6
    20 March - 214.2
    27 March - 214.3

My clothes fit much better and co workers say they can see a difference. I guess the workouts are causing the stall, but I feel great and am loving the OMAD lifestyle!!! I cant wait for April 1 to take my measurements.

I bet that feels great! You're progress is brilliant! I look forward to your update :smile:
  • Vanguard1
    1 month in update:

27 Feb 17 - 225.8
    06 March 17 - 224.2
    13 March 17 - 217.6
    20 March 17 - 214.2
    27 March 17 - 214.3
    31 March 17 - 216
    So I made through my first month trying OMAD, I figured I would put down a recap for anyone interested, and so I have an archive. I successfully practiced OMAD all month with the exception of 3 Fridays, which is traditionally team lunch day at work. I had a great loss the first 2 weeks, then it slowed, then I gained a couple of pounds. I also resumed my workouts this month so I am sure that helped with any progress made. I DO NOT blame the workouts on me gaining weight at the end of the month, I am still a firm believer in CICO. My weight gain near the end is merely a result of eating more calories than I expended, although I didn't expect that with OMAD.

The great part is really feel in control of food now, I truly realize how we use food as a social tool, or pleasure activity, as opposed to nutrition for the body. I am truly in control, and proved it with such things as making my girls pancakes on the weekends and not even being tempted to eat! My clothes fit better (I will do waist measurement in the morning), and people say they can notice a difference in my appearance.

So... long story to ay that OMAD works, is doable for me, and I think I can maintain this for as long as I see a need to!!

This is a wonderful group, I love the interaction and support I get here and it really helps motivate me!!

Jason
  • ShannonOMAD
    ShannonOMAD Posts: 122 Member
    I am very grateful for you putting up this honest update! I just started OMAD this week, and it is so easy to get swept up in the promises and dreams of fast easy weight loss! Your post is still hopeful, but it helps remind me that I may still stall, I may still gain... I just need to pay attention to why and keep on going!
  • blambo61
    Last weight gain could be from water retention due to exercise. Not a thing that will grow. You've done very well!

Here is my thoughts on CICO. We MUST lose at least as much as a deficit demands no matter what is going on including exercise, what we eat, etc.. because the energy has to come from somewhere. I do think we can lose MORE than what a deficit demands though by what we eat, and when we eat and other factors. The MORE part of the weight loss, I do think can be effected by many things but not the part we lose to the deficit.
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    I have a garmin vivofit, best $50 Ive spent lol 1 1/2 years in and ive only had to replace the strap ($1.50) Because I sit all day at work, I love that it tells me when Ive been not active for too long.
  • Vanguard1
    I am very grateful for you putting up this honest update! I just started OMAD this week, and it is so easy to get swept up in the promises and dreams of fast easy weight loss! Your post is still hopeful, but it helps remind me that I may still stall, I may still gain... I just need to pay attention to why and keep on going!

I'm glad it helped! The first week will be rough, but stick with it and trust me, I gets a lot easier! It is a great sustainable program, and like @blambo61 said, there really is no telling what the scale is thinking. If you look at overall big picture, it is a loss, and a pretty big loss for 30 days. I can't wait to see where the next month gets me to!
  • Vanguard1
    27 Feb 17 - 225.8
    06 March 17 - 224.2
    13 March 17 - 217.6
    20 March 17 - 214.2
    27 March 17 - 214.3
    31 March 17 - 216
    3 April 17 - 313.3

Back to Monday weigh ins, the 313.3 is the average of three times I stepped on the scale this morning. I did lose 3 inches off my waist during March, and everything fits better, so this IS working. I work out 3 times a week with barbells and dumbbells, getting increasingly heavier, so I am not sure how/ when that will factor in here. Overall I feel great, have little trouble maintain the IF program (although every once in a while I do want a bowl of cereal before bed).

I love the OMAD group and the accountability it gives!
  • leveejohn
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I don't know if heart rate tells how many calories we burn or not. If someone is in good shape their heart will be slower for the equivalent amount of power output than someone who isn't in as good of shape. Do they take that into account?

I don't really look at calories burned, mainly because I don't trust their algorithm, but also because I'm not tracking calories to do a deficit/surplus balance.

Heart rate is important because it's a good measure of the proper intensity of exercise for each of us as individuals. Cardio zone for a very fit person will look very externally different than cardio zone for a beginner or someone out of shape...but for their circulatory system it would be exactly the same intensity of exercise.

I think calories expended strictly as a measure of work performed would have more to do with body weight and range/speed of motion, but I'm not certain how relevant an accurate number would be, since BMR is a huge unknown and does indeed vary depending on diet and exercise. I think the unknowns are simply too large to depend too closely on calorie balance calculations.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    213.3 dear Jason, I think you are 213.3. WTG on your workouts!!
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    amflautist wrote: »
    213.3 dear Jason, I think you are 213.3. WTG on your workouts!!

I was going to say the same thing :o Great loss this week!!! :)
  • blambo61
    Way to go Jason!