Jason's OMAD Journal

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I don't know if heart rate tells how many calories we burn or not. If someone is in good shape their heart will be slower for the equivalent amount of power output than someone who isn't in as good of shape. Do they take that into account?

I don't really look at calories burned, mainly because I don't trust their algorithm, but also because I'm not tracking calories to do a deficit/surplus balance.

Heart rate is important because it's a good measure of the proper intensity of exercise for each of us as individuals. Cardio zone for a very fit person will look very externally different than cardio zone for a beginner or someone out of shape...but for their circulatory system it would be exactly the same intensity of exercise.

I think calories expended strictly as a measure of work performed would have more to do with body weight and range/speed of motion, but I'm not certain how relevant an accurate number would be, since BMR is a huge unknown and does indeed vary depending on diet and exercise. I think the unknowns are simply too large to depend too closely on calorie balance calculations.

My heart beats very slow is why I asked. I'm normally in the 40's somewhere and if I've been running a lot and rested and am fasted, it will even go into the high 30's sometimes. That is why I'm also skeptical of looking at heart rates for calorie expenditure like you. One interesting thing I've observed is if I do eat a lunch my heart rate will immediately go from about 48 to 53-55 or so. I guess that is the load of digestion on the heart.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    amflautist wrote: »
    213.3 dear Jason, I think you are 213.3. WTG on your workouts!!

I was going to say the same thing :o Great loss this week!!! :)

I was a bit worried what to say haha. I don't even think its possible to gain 100 pounds in a week but was a bit worried hehe :)

Great loss
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    27 Feb 17 - 225.8
    06 March 17 - 224.2
    13 March 17 - 217.6
    20 March 17 - 214.2
    27 March 17 - 214.3
    31 March 17 - 216
    3 April 17 - 213.3

For my sanity... Thanks everyone!!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member

My heart beats very slow is why I asked. I'm normally in the 40's somewhere and if I've been running a lot and rested and am fasted, it will even go into the high 30's sometimes. That is why I'm also skeptical of looking at heart rates for calorie expenditure like you. One interesting thing I've observed is if I do eat a lunch my heart rate will immediately go from about 48 to 53-55 or so. I guess that is the load of digestion on the heart.
    What I think that means is the "standard " estimates of max heart rate do not apply to you. One way to estimate max HR is 220 -age = MHR

I have read that this does not apply to a significant fraction of the population. Some are just faster, some slower, and that's normal.

If MHR cannot be estimated, it can be measured directly with a stress EKG. That test confirmed for me that 220-age works fine in my case.

Once MHR is known, however, the advice to exercise at 70-85% MHR for cardio benefits is the same. Anything over 85% had better be an interval, because that's just stress.

Here is a good reference: The Ultimate Fit or Fat https://www.amazon.com/dp/0618002049/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ruN4yb98QZJCS
  • blambo61
    leveejohn wrote: »

What I think that means is the "standard " estimates of max heart rate do not apply to you. One way to estimate max HR is 220 -age = MHR

I have read that this does not apply to a significant fraction of the population. Some are just faster, some slower, and that's normal.

If MHR cannot be estimated, it can be measured directly with a stress EKG. That test confirmed for me that 220-age works fine in my case.

Once MHR is known, however, the advice to exercise at 70-85% MHR for cardio benefits is the same. Anything over 85% had better be an interval, because that's just stress.

Here is a good reference: The Ultimate Fit or Fat https://www.amazon.com/dp/0618002049/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ruN4yb98QZJCS

Thanks, I am familiar with the heart rate zones and all. I'm not sure what my max heart rate is now though. When younger, I've measured my heart rate over 200 multiple times doing hard track interval sessions (in late teens and early 20's). Then, I could go a little over the 220-age guestimate. Sad now that I'm closer to 220-55 =165. I used to warm up doing a couple of 7:30 miles which was a very easy pace for me then, do a hard track session, then cool down with a 2-4 mile jog at about the 7:30 pace. I can not run a single mile now at a 7:30 pace. I also weighed 155-160 lbs then which helped a lot!
  • Vanguard1
    27 Feb 17 - 225.8
    06 March 17 - 224.2
    13 March 17 - 217.6
    20 March 17 - 214.2
    27 March 17 - 214.3
    31 March 17 - 216
    3 April 17 - 213.3
    10 April 17 - 212.5

Scale is going the right way, just a little slower. To anyone newer to this than me, trust me, it gets a lot easier. Yesterday for example, I took my girls to breakfast before church at the donut shop, not even tempted. After church, headed to Toledo for a birthday party, BK first, not even tempted. At the party was all the normal party food, pizza, chips, dips, cake, ice cream, seriously, not tempted. When I got home I fixed myself something from the fridge and went to bed, that was 10:00. So all day was places where normally I would have eaten, but made it through no problem!!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    You're doing so well. Putting yourself in temptation and resisting the urge! Donuts are my weak spot!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Outstanding! For me, having the decision of whether to eat simply taken away because I've already made the decision not to eat enables me to enjoy food-related events without feeling tense. With a "normal diet" I would be worrying about, and thus counting, how many calories or carbs was in everything.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Your success is so good to hear!! Wonderful! Your story about the donut shop and the party - not tempted, fantastic! You give me hope that I can do this too.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Great work here!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Good job staying on plan through those parties!!! :)
  • blambo61
    You want it!
  • Vanguard1
    Trainwreck today, beginning with the movies at noon, then off the rails with eating. Reset tomorrow, ready for Easter.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Thats right, just reset and think of it as a splurge day...Joe said to make sure we dont have 2 splurge days in a row...I'm going to the movies today and I can't resist the popcorn so and it will be my meal for the day and maybe a Big Mac because I'm saving my splurge day for Easter :)
  • blambo61
    Easter is a mandatory splurge day in my book no matter what happens today! Monday we can get with it. If your worried about it, you could go lower carb tomorrow and that won't have as much of an effect. I've done a splurge day every sat and would gain 3 and then would lose 4 the next week. It will come off with 3-good days of OMAD.
  • Vanguard1
    edited April 2017
    27 Feb 17 - 225.8
    06 March 17 - 224.2
    13 March 17 - 217.6
    20 March 17 - 214.2
    27 March 17 - 214.3
    31 March 17 - 216
    3 April 17 - 213.3
    10 April 17 - 212.5
    17 April 17 - 222.4 (new Scale ?)

So I am not sure what happened, but I will blame most of it on a new scale. I did have 3 days of bad eating, but I honestly don't think it was 10 lbs worth of it. Anyway, it is what it is, I am going to take a week off of lifting and just do some light cardio, stick to OMAD, and see what happens.

I did manage to pick up a used Landice Treadmill for the home gym last week, so I am petty excited about that!!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Do you have anything around your home that you can test your new and old scales with? Ten pound gain in a week does seem impossible. You're doing really great though with your plan so far, congratulations!
  • Vanguard1
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Do you have anything around your home that you can test your new and old scales with? Ten pound gain in a week does seem impossible. You're doing really great though with your plan so far, congratulations!

I didn't even thin of comparing the 2, I will give it a try tonight.
  • blambo61
    Early last week I went from 211 to 218. In retrospect, I was eating a lot of sodium (baking soda and lemon juice) to try to stop a gout attack. Also I was on anti-biotics and ate more meals. After 3-days of OMAD and low carb, I was back to 211. Follow the plan you said and see what happens. And check the scale!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    You'll crack this! Even if it's just water from carbo snacking. It will come off quickly.