Magnesium supplements ranking

Options

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    just bought myself some Mag Citrate to start taking but its not on the list at all (mind you I am in UK and its a UK company who makes it) - is it best to take at night or in the morning? have also got some probiotics due to my duodenal issues

At night before bedtime, it will help you sleep. And you're most likely to get a leg cramp early in morning, so that will help prevent them...

Dan
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Magnesium in general is recommended to be taken twice a day for optimum absorption, since it stays in the system for about 12 hours. When I was taking a chelated citrate, it made me tired if I took it during the day. But the glycinate in a pill? I take it twice a day, no problem, though I'm alternating, almost at random, with the bulk carbonate I bought that I'm not crazy about...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Magnesium in general is recommended to be taken twice a day for optimum absorption, since it stays in the system for about 12 hours. When I was taking a chelated citrate, it made me tired if I took it during the day. But the glycinate in a pill? I take it twice a day, no problem, though I'm alternating, almost at random, with the bulk carbonate I bought that I'm not crazy about...

You don't like the bulk carbonate? That's been my favorite form so far.
    I take it 2 or 3 times a day myself.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

LOL - the day I took it three times, I was a bathroom disaster for about the next 12 hours. Plus, I'm not a sipper of drinks, so chugging chalking crap isn't that appealing, tbh... I'm just mixing it in. I can't figure out a good dose, and taking more of that one to ease the muscle/bone pain that I get when I'm low mag just isn't fun for my ... already irritating bathroom dramas... Plus, according to Asprey, I think it was, it's one of the least absorb after oxide...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    And add to that that I'm taking so many things now that I feel like a walking pharmacy, and timing things gets a bit overwhelming! Like I don't think I'm going to end up getting my probiotic in today. Or I'm going to have to skip something else. I need an alarm for my alarms anymore! UGH. So yeah, dosage and timing struggles are my NOT FUN stuff right now...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

LOL - the day I took it three times, I was a bathroom disaster for about the next 12 hours. Plus, I'm not a sipper of drinks, so chugging chalking crap isn't that appealing, tbh... I'm just mixing it in. I can't figure out a good dose, and taking more of that one to ease the muscle/bone pain that I get when I'm low mag just isn't fun for my ... already irritating bathroom dramas... Plus, according to Asprey, I think it was, it's one of the least absorb after oxide...

I add about 1/2 tsp to a 16 ounce bottle of water twice a day along with 1 tsp of ascorbic acid.
    Sometimes I just can't drink that much water so I mix it with less and chug it. The C makes it super sour! I add a little sweet leaf water drops to help that. But the mag on its own didn't seem to have much flavor.
    In one of the resources we previously shared around here somewhere it noted that magnesium chloride was the highest absorbed and that carbonate turns into chloride in our stomach acid so on that source it was recommended as another highly absorbed option. But much cheaper for me
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @baconslave @dragonwolf -

Consumerlab.com posts reviews and ratings of many supplements.

From what I've been able to discern without a paid subscription, it looks like an interesting and useful service.

Q - would it be within the guidelines set by MFP and the LCD Group to inquire of Consumer Lab whether a group discount might be available for MFP users or LCD group numbers?

More info under Group Subscriptions tab here:

https://www.consumerlab.com/m/contact.asp/
  • rachelbl72
    rachelbl72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm Uk too Cath and struggle to find stuff I managed to mag citrate from Holland and Barrett made by Solgar quite pricey then found them on Amazon a lot cheaper so ordered some on there. Since then I've read the report and they are on the list but it says they have quite a lot of arsenic in them soooo me being an anxiety person I've returned the ones to Amazon and ordered the Thorne make which was higher on the list too but it might not make any difference to the effects.
    Anyway the mag citrate is good for regulating bowels for me but useless for aiding sleeping, I'm seeing my GP today cos I haven't slept for 5 days properly even on the sleeping tablets he gave me, I doubled the dose last night, did sleep better but have now woken up with a raging headache and a disgusting metal taste in my mouth that won't go. My GP doesn't like sleeping tablets so am sure he won't be very helpful.
    I take 2 Mag Citrate at night before I go to bed but I have seen your supposed to take them with food cos of the acid effect on your stomach or something, but I don't think it matters cos my stomach is full of food after supper anyway before I go to bed.

just bought myself some Mag Citrate to start taking but its not on the list at all (mind you I am in UK and its a UK company who makes it) - is it best to take at night or in the morning? have also got some probiotics due to my duodenal issues

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @baconslave @dragonwolf -

Consumerlab.com posts reviews and ratings of many supplements.

From what I've been able to discern without a paid subscription, it looks like an interesting and useful service.

Q - would it be within the guidelines set by MFP and the LCD Group to inquire of Consumer Lab whether a group discount might be available for MFP users or LCD group numbers?

More info under Group Subscriptions tab here:

https://www.consumerlab.com/m/contact.asp/

Hrm, you know, I don't know. There's nothing that says not to, that I know of. However, it is probably something that's supposed to be handled by MFP as a company, so you'll probably have to talk to them. It's a pretty neat idea, though. Hopefully they're agreeable.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I was shocked to see Calm with such a low grade. It has a good reputation and has been recommended to me by many. Guess I will be changing my magnesium supplement.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My Best brand came today. They are in tablet form but were not hard for me to take with water.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @dragonwolf - Thanks for the suggestion. FYI, I sent an inquiry to MFP via the online email form, and I'll let you know what comes back.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Thanks to @Mongo5918 for posting about labdoor.com, which evaluates (and sells..) supplements, including magnesium.
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium

There's quite a gap between the top and bottom of the list (in contrast to fish oil, for example).

Thx, @nvmomketo for the reminder.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The arsenic in mine is quite alarming. What?!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Wow, I only recognize 3 or 4 brands that are also here in Canada. I wonder if there's a site that tests Canadian supplements?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I just got restocked on my supply of Doctor's Best Magnesium.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my brand was next to last on listing. I think my body would prefer the non arsenic version better. Maybe this is why even doubling up, I get muscle cramps and little "congestion" relief. Ordered the Dr.s Best, via Amazon, will be switching Tuesday when it arrives.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Wait! I don't see epsom salt on the list.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I understood epsom salt causes diarrhea? My dad used to use it for constipation like 40 years ago.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I understood epsom salt causes diarrhea? My dad used to use it for constipation like 40 years ago.

Epsom Salts fits right in with magnesium since magnesium reportedly causes diarrhea if you take too much. Magnesium Oxide is the most well known for that unpleasant side effect.