Rude friends

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I understand that the skin may be less form looking but if you go looking at progress photos of people that have lost weight, I generally think they look younger.
    To me it's way more than just the texture of the skin. When we lose weight we tend to get an emotional boost. A little more confidence. We start feeling better and doing more and we carry ourselves a little differently and tend to smile more in photos.
    All of that exudes youth to me and I feel like I can see it!
    Think about older actors/actresses that just seem young. Like Betty White for example, she's 80 or something and I have no idea if she ever had any work done, but even if she did, she has plenty of wrinkles but overall she just seems youthful.
    I think people that lose weight successfully, especially if they haven't really been successful in the past, tend to take on youthful behaviors and a level of confidence greater than what they previously had. This WOE comes with added benefits of improved health, less pain, more energy and so much more too!
    I have no doubt your "friend" was seeing all of these things in you but her inner green monster focused on one tiny detail so it was an easier pill to swallow.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    You could also just tell them straight up: "That was hurtful and rude, you need a filter between your mind and your mouth."

Yes, there IS that approach....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Obviously there's a typo in your original post. What you meant was "former friends." These people need to be either out of your life or pushed as far towards the perimeter as possible. Life's too short to deal with morons. "You are dead to me" comes to mind as a courteous rejoinder.

Having said that, facial exercises can be very effective. I'm 71 and (I'm told) look in my early 60's. Genetics is partly to thank and lots of protein is a help. But a year of daily facial exercises, only ten minutes a day, has made a significant improvement. However, promise me you'll do this for your own self-esteem, not to impress those strangers.

I don't do all of the exercises in this book, only the ones that through trial and error seemed to be the most difficult.

https://www.amazon.com/Facial-Fitness-Exercises-Techniques-Healthier/dp/140278046X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493201970&sr=1-2&keywords=facial+exercises

I was going to say something alone the lines of this, too. There's a fine line between tough love/telling it straight, and just being a straight up rude jerk/inconsiderate/hurtful, etc.

I'm not Willy Wonka AND I'm low carb, so I don't candy-coat ANYTHING. But, I can say things politely and in a civil tone without being a suck up, kiss butt, or getting so annoyed at having to placate someone's tender feelings that I want to relegate them to Generation Butthurt, regardless of birth year... Sometimes it's just not worth being polite.

But friends will couch truthful tough love in actual loving statements. Being blunt is not the same as rudeness... Rudeness is believing that they themselves, their opinions, and their words - are more important than yours. Anyone who can't stop being a jerk isn't a friend of mine. Not anymore.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You could also just tell them straight up: "That was hurtful and rude, you need a filter between your mind and your mouth."

@MzLazyBones - I'm SOOO stealing this.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I just look at them like they've just sprouted antlers and then stare at them in disapproval for a moment to make them feel awkward, and then change the subject.

I believe that's what Miss Manners suggests. Seriously.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I just look at them like they've just sprouted antlers and then stare at them in disapproval for a moment to make them feel awkward, and then change the subject.

Oh, my. What does the gentle MM recommend for doctors and dietitians who wag their "low sodium" and "don't eat fat" fingers (other than a muzzle)?

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Oh, my. What does the gentle MM recommend for doctors and dietitians who wag their "low sodium" and "don't eat fat" fingers (other than a muzzle)?

a baseball bat applied liberally about the head and shoulders :smiley:
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

a baseball bat applied liberally about the head and shoulders :smiley:

(Theirs, not yours. Although such comments can drive anyone to distraction.....)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    To me these kinds of people aren't rude so much as clueless. Civilized people don't comment on someone's appearance unless they're asked or have something positive to say.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 42. When I was fat people thought I was about 30. They didn't believe me when I told them I had grown children and now a grandchild. Now that I'm 90lbs lighter I look 42. People don't question my age anymore. I don't actually give one fig what they think either way.
  • Goddess0921
    Goddess0921 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If it hurts - you have every right to tell them so. "Well thank you for being so insensitive; I'm losing weight because I want to. Just like you're staying fat because YOU want to.....Such comments are a classic angle from those who are usually envious. So if you like, I can tell you how to be less pudgy, how does that sound?"

Personal remarks are both thoughtless and tactless, and are bound to hurt your pride, but yes, I have often found that if you point out to people that their comments feel barbed, it's come about that in actual fact, there's a small streak of envy....

I think this is perfect.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with thoughtless people. Congratulations on your success so far!!!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Looking younger is not the same thing as looking better. People sometimes look worse after plastic surgery when they do it just to look younger. There are a LOT of people that actually look better as they get older. I personally think that most of the time a slimmer, older face is more attractive and healthier, than a younger, pudgier face.

Sometimes good friends can be a little too honest. I would probably give them the benefit of the doubt that it was meant as constructive criticism, but nicely let them know that it stung a little. If your skin hasn't tightened up after a while (it probably will) there are always products and things that can help if it still bothers you.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    ...Or sometimes, you can pass off their comments with humour. This obviously depends on how you really feel, but perhaps something like "Oh, really? Well do you have a stapler handy? I can fix that right now!" Or "Yes, my face may look thinner, but you should see my butt! I can crack nuts between those cheeks!" or even "Yes, my cosmetic surgeon tells me I need plenty of room for the polyfiller and araldite to get a grip...."

Or even, try suddenly contorting your face, doing facial exercises and then saying, "Are they working yet....?"
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ...Or sometimes, you can pass off their comments with humour. This obviously depends on how you really feel, but perhaps something like "Oh, really? Well do you have a stapler handy? I can fix that right now!" Or "Yes, my face may look thinner, but you should see my butt! I can crack nuts between those cheeks!" or even "Yes, my cosmetic surgeon tells me I need plenty of room for the polyfiller and araldite to get a grip...."

Or even, try suddenly contorting your face, doing facial exercises and then saying, "Are they working yet....?"

You just triggered the "Is that better?" scene where the Edgar suit is speaking to Edgar's wife, when she says his skin is loose, in Men In Black. LOL.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    LOL!! Oh Lordy, yeah, I remember that....! That's made my day!!