What are you training for?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    JustSomeEm - Are you thinking about the B&A for your March half? I plan to be at the full, but I haven't signed up for it either. My first two years of running, I paid for 3 HMs that I wasn't able to run because of injury (different injuries), so I became really wary of signing up too far in advance. I do small races where you can sign up later so I don't lose money on a race I can't run. There is still some risk of the race filling up, but so far I've been lucky.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 - Have you done the Flying Pig before? I have run the full twice and the half once. It is my favorite race.

I've not been around, just saw this. No, I haven't done it before, but I've heard great things about it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    JuliaH728 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Did New Orleans Marathon at the end of Feb, and now going to do a couple of half marathons before the triathlon season here gets started in earnest. Sly Fox in St. Charles, IL on April 23, and then Sunburst in South Bend, IN on June 4. My next marathon is going to be Seattle on Thanksgiving weekend, since my dad wants to do the half and it would be fun to do the same event while he can (he will be 73 when it happens).

I ran rock n roll Seattle last June and it was so great. For such a hilly city, the course was surprisingly flat!

This wasn't rock n roll, but the one in November -- I think the course is different. I ended up doing the half with my dad instead of the full because I'd been having a tendon problem and couldn't train much, but I wanted to do it with him. Worked out well, because I was able to help him pace. I don't know how the courses compare, but parts of it were hilly (I say knowing that as I am in Chicago my judgment of hills cannot be trusted!).

Anyway, it was a great race and we were extremely lucky as it didn't rain at all until after it was over (rained when we were driving up from my dad's place near Portland the day before and then after the race). Apparently no rain for the race at that time of year is unusual.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    JustSomeEm - Are you thinking about the B&A for your March half? I plan to be at the full, but I haven't signed up for it either. My first two years of running, I paid for 3 HMs that I wasn't able to run because of injury (different injuries), so I became really wary of signing up too far in advance. I do small races where you can sign up later so I don't lose money on a race I can't run. There is still some risk of the race filling up, but so far I've been lucky.

@spiriteagle99 - yes, the B&A is the one I'm thinking of for end of March. :) Good luck with the full!
  • sharde8691
    sharde8691 Posts: 29 Member
    Broad Street 10 miler May 7th
  • nats2508
    nats2508 Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2017
    Training for 10k in May then I have a 10 miler in June / (would like to do Ragnar when it comes to the UK September so that's a maybe) and a half marathon in Oct.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Finished the Chilly Willy HM in February with a PB 2:12:36 and AG 2nd. Of course of the 6 people registered in my AG only 2 of us finished. Still a win in my book. Especially considering the weather matched the name - -20C plus wind chill.

Training for the Jasper HM April 8. Mountain Park event which scares some people because when they hear Mountain they think of Big Peaks and big climbs. In reality it is a fairly flat-gentle rolling terrain except for the river crossing.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    I got a place through the lottery in the NYC marathon in November. I have plenty of time to train but I was starting from scratch after having my baby so right now I'm building my base and readjusting to running. I'm super psyched and would love to hear from people that have run NYC before!

I need to find some shorter races to keep my training up in the meantime.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    iofred wrote: »
    My first HM on 1st of May ... hoping for sub2hrs, which might be a challenge @54 and 16 stone :) ... oh well, we'll see

It's not Milton Keynes by any chance? Can't be too many halves that day. I'm doing the full.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Now I have a 50k added to the mix. My June marathon is something if a stand alone, but I'll be hoping to get back to running pretty soon after. My September marathon will now be run as a training run, since its 4 weeks before the 50k.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    I have a 30K this weekend and I'm really nervous. I've been sick a lot and have missed a lot of training. I ran 14.6 miles last weekend and it was rough the last couple of miles.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    I have a 30K this weekend and I'm really nervous. I've been sick a lot and have missed a lot of training. I ran 14.6 miles last weekend and it was rough the last couple of miles.

I was in that situation when I ran my first (and so far only) marathon. I revised my goals to be realistic to the circumstance. Instead of targeting sub 4 hours, I merely wanted to get to the finish without stopping. Easing the pace made that possible and I was very happy on the day to come in at 4:15.

You might consider something similar; challenging but achievable.
  • leannamvaughan
    leannamvaughan Posts: 44 Member
    I have just started running about a year or so ago. I wanted to start training for a 10k this year, maybe even a half marathon. I'm around 5 miles and young the distance around half a mile per week right now. Is anyone else closer to the beginning of their running journey? All encouragement and advice from longer term runners is welcome too!
  • MNLittleFinn
    I have just started running about a year or so ago. I wanted to start training for a 10k this year, maybe even a half marathon. I'm around 5 miles and young the distance around half a mile per week right now. Is anyone else closer to the beginning of their running journey? All encouragement and advice from longer term runners is welcome too!

The jump from 10k to HM is pretty big, but doable, if you plan things right and give a while for build up. I ran my first 10k 3 months after I got into running, and my first HM the month after, with the caveat that the 10k was a planned race incorporated into my HM training plan. The HM was the goal. Also, I had been doing other cardio for a few months before I got into running.

I started running (for real) last year in like February, so I'm newish to running too. If you keep at it, you'll be amazed at the progress you can make when you remain dedicated and don't let the hard days get you down....They come, but they make the good days all the sweeter.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    sjb74uk wrote: »

I was in that situation when I ran my first (and so far only) marathon. I revised my goals to be realistic to the circumstance. Instead of targeting sub 4 hours, I merely wanted to get to the finish without stopping. Easing the pace made that possible and I was very happy on the day to come in at 4:15.

You might consider something similar; challenging but achievable.

That's exactly what I did. I have had the mindset all along of just finishing (have my first full marathon in 3 weeks). I just enjoyed the scenery and listened to podcasts. I took walk breaks as needed. It took a really long time (3:40), but I finished and I actually feel pretty good today!

My goal for the marathon is to make the cutoff time of 6 hours, lol!

• camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RnR New Orleans Marathon on 2/28 (too soon!).

How was it, I want to do the one next year in March. It'll be my first Marathon. To help me train for it I'm working on strengthening my 10k time and then I'm going work from there. I have a Fair 10K in July, an 8 mile trail run in October, and the Magnolia Half in in November planned. Then I'll run the Rock n Roll New Orleans Marathon March 3rd, I'm super excited.
  • akasharuns
    akasharuns Posts: 8 Member
    New here ! I am training for my second 5K. Its on the 14th. I ran my first in 25 minutes and 59 seconds. I am hoping to run my second in 23-24 minutes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    My race number came in the post today... my half is a week on Sunday! Exciting!

I am busy ignoring a slight groin injury, hoping it will go away with a week of rest!
  • MNLittleFinn
    My race number came in the post today... my half is a week on Sunday! Exciting!

I am busy ignoring a slight groin injury, hoping it will go away with a week of rest!

That's the thing to do. Rest it.