April Q and A thread

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Also regarding Susan (the first person I posted, not the shredded one) -- the after photo is 15+lbs heavier -- just pulled stats and she's 158 in the before photo and ~174 in the after.
  • SideSteel
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So her before photo is before her cut?, so she must had got pretty lean before starting her bulk. Results are fantastic though.

But this is all in line with what I was thinking..., someone who is very lean probably wouldn't benefit from recomp like someone with a higher BF% would.

Yes, the before was when she first contacted me. She was already lean but wanted to get leaner before moving into a surplus. We cut from 137 to 129 then did a really patient and small surplus and we are still at it.

But it's worth noting that a lot people CALL a really small surplus a "recomp" even though by definition it's really not.

Regarding Jen above, she hasn't gained any noticeable fat. Now, I'm sure she DID gain SOME fat SOMEWHERE, since you're not going to get perfect nutrient partitioning obviously. It's just not really noticeable.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So her before photo is before her cut?, so she must had got pretty lean before starting her bulk. Results are fantastic though.

But this is all in line with what I was thinking..., someone who is very lean probably wouldn't benefit from recomp like someone with a higher BF% would.

Yes, the before was when she first contacted me. She was already lean but wanted to get leaner before moving into a surplus. We cut from 137 to 129 then did a really patient and small surplus and we are still at it.

But it's worth noting that a lot people CALL a really small surplus a "recomp" even though by definition it's really not.

Regarding Jen above, she hasn't gained any noticeable fat. Now, I'm sure she DID gain SOME fat SOMEWHERE, since you're not going to get perfect nutrient partitioning obviously. It's just not really noticeable.

Yea I am just getting out of a very slow bulk, but ya I wouldn't call it a recomp because I have gained 12 lbs over 8 months. I have definitely gained fat, but I don't look bad.. just.. bigger. My first bulk was similar to hers where I really didn't have to cut after (but I did). But I also started really low weight the first time.

Her results are amazing, she definitely responds well to whatever you are doing :)

I just see women who get super lean and frustrated with that last bit of fat.. (I was/am one of them) and all you want to do is cut.. but you know that isn't going to help...and then I felt like recomp was just not for me because of how little fat I had to work with.. so I ended up bulking. And I definitely made the right decision.. for me at least.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    As an amusing addendum to my previous posts regarding RTS and TRAC: according to the TRAC interpretation of my data, I recover far worse from squatting than I do from deadlifting, even though I hammer my pulls much harder, just because I can.

Apparently I live in opposite world.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    As an amusing addendum to my previous posts regarding RTS and TRAC: according to the TRAC interpretation of my data, I recover far worse from squatting than I do from deadlifting, even though I hammer my pulls much harder, just because I can.

ETP's very own special snowflake?
  • Gallowmere1984
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Not necessarily. Apparently guys like Konstantinovs, who have a notably better pull than squat have similar outcomes. Hell, Bob Peoples deadlifted roughly four to five times per week, and it was in the pre-roid era, but gave very few *kitten* about training any other lifts.

Makes me wonder if it's something psychological (you think squats are going to *kitten* with you so they do), or physiological (the posterior chain somehow recovers at a stronger rate than quadriceps in some), or if it's just how the wave is running due to a relatively small data sample, and that it will smooth out between the two over more time.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Thanks. The really lean client (jen) is a freak of nature as far as metabolic rate goes. She maintains weight on something like 20 cals/lb. It's stupid as hell lol

That is insane. I'd be eating like 5000 cals a day to maintain. That would be AMAZING
  • DopeItUp

Not necessarily. Apparently guys like Konstantinovs, who have a notably better pull than squat have similar outcomes. Hell, Bob Peoples deadlifted roughly four to five times per week, and it was in the pre-roid era, but gave very few *kitten* about training any other lifts.

Makes me wonder if it's something psychological (you think squats are going to *kitten* with you so they do), or physiological (the posterior chain somehow recovers at a stronger rate than quadriceps in some), or if it's just how the wave is running due to a relatively small data sample, and that it will smooth out between the two over more time.

Adding even more fuel to the confusion fire, what if deadlift recovery is hampering your squats? :D
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Loving the recomp info and pics, since that is my goal (starting after my race on 5/13) and I'm not sure what to expect or how patient I can manage to be. (Hopefully it will help that I very much want to get stronger and care more about that than about aesthetics, though aesthetic changes would be great, too. And since I've never been very strong, there is loads of room for improvement. ;) )
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I love seeing progress pics, inspiration in a photo, and I can always use a bit more of that!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Adding even more fuel to the confusion fire, what if deadlift recovery is hampering your squats? :D

I wondering if this is the case for me. My DL is making some really good improvements but my squat is very slow to make progress.
  • Gallowmere1984

That's entirely possible, though honestly, if my recovery capabilities ever put me in a position to have to choose between the two, the squat can die in a fire. I love deadlifts more than a parent could love a child. Squats...ehhh, not so much.

I suppose it's just the "real world application" obsession that I've always had. The deadlift gets used by most people on a daily basis. The loaded squat? Pretty much never. The bench? Eh, maybe if your friend needed help getting a transaxle into his car, and was too cheap to buy another jack?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    @SideSteel
    Didn't one of your Ambers do an unintentional recomp too?
  • SideSteel
    _benjammin wrote: »
    @SideSteel
    Didn't one of your Ambers do an unintentional recomp too?

Yep. I don't have before/after photos but I'm pretty sure she had some pretty significant measurement changes at the same BW.

I'm of the opinion that unless you're highly advanced you're very likely to successfully recomp to some extent if you keep training and making progress and you don't have a completely idiotic diet.

• DopeItUp
    edited April 2017

That's entirely possible, though honestly, if my recovery capabilities ever put me in a position to have to choose between the two, the squat can die in a fire. I love deadlifts more than a parent could love a child. Squats...ehhh, not so much.

I suppose it's just the "real world application" obsession that I've always had. The deadlift gets used by most people on a daily basis. The loaded squat? Pretty much never. The bench? Eh, maybe if your friend needed help getting a transaxle into his car, and was too cheap to buy another jack?

Absolutely. Deadlifts and loaded carries of any kind have pretty much the best carryover I can think of. What do we do in real life? Pick up heavy sh1t and carry it around.

I still believe squats can have carryover to my deadlifts and I also don't want to be that pusssy that can't squat 405 so Imma keep working on them.
  • Gallowmere1984

Absolutely. Deadlifts and loaded carries of any kind have pretty much the best carryover I can think of. What do we do in real life? Pick up heavy sh1t and carry it around.

I still believe squats can have carryover to my deadlifts and I also don't want to be that pusssy that can't squat 405 so Imma keep working on them.

Most definitely. My squat to dead ratio is way out of balance (295:435, bodyweight: 169.1), but since I'm still only at 8.5 months of lifting, I expect as much. My lifestyle prior to last summer wasn't exactly conducive to quad strength. There were many years of sitting on my *kitten* in a truck all day. Frankly, I'm lucky that I never developed a nasty pelvic tilt to contend with.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Was just diagnosed with achilles tendinitis, and knowledge is limited to google. Any tips on how to continue lifting with achilles tendinitis? My instructions as of now are ice, anti-inflammatory and stretching for aprox. two weeks. Since full recovery can take a long time, I do not want my progress to fall behind, and want to work within my limitations. Any recommendations on intake and lifting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    giusa wrote: »
    Was just diagnosed with achilles tendinitis, and knowledge is limited to google. Any tips on how to continue lifting with achilles tendinitis? My instructions as of now are ice, anti-inflammatory and stretching for aprox. two weeks. Since full recovery can take a long time, I do not want my progress to fall behind, and want to work within my limitations. Any recommendations on intake and lifting.

Lighten the load. You may not sustain your total strength, but it's better than worsening the condition...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2017
    I've dealt with achilles tendinitis. My doctor and PT (physical therapist, not personal trainer) both told me to keep lifting and only back off on activity if it got to a 4 out of 10, pain-wise. I was able to keep lifting throughout it and the only thing I had to do was not wear high heels (though my squat shoes didn't bother me) and not sprint.

Are you feeling it all the time? Are you doing any PT for it? I had 4-5 weeks of PT and still do several of the exercises at home.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    The area is swollen 24/7, I've been taking the anti-inflammatory before bed and in the morning I can actually see my ankles BUT by the time I'm finished getting ready for work, swollen again. She did recommend PT, but had such a bad experience I'm putting that on hold and doing the stretching exercises at home.
    I like my heels :'(
    Did you limit walking and/or cardio, how long till you resumed lifting, how long till the swelling subsisted for you?
    Will definitely lighten the load at first. I was imagining months to recuperate, you both made me feel better!