Introduce yourself - again

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• loriarty
    loriarty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm Lori and I'm 26, about to be 27. I've been here a while and been in this group for a hot minute too. My starting weight was 347, and I'm down to 278. I've had my ups and downs, but I've super determined. I've started back working out 2 weeks ago and already feeling better both physically and mentally so I'm very excited to continue my journey.
  • tatt2fatsean
    tatt2fatsean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. My name is Sean I live in Bremerton WA I am 456lbs and I've been on here since December last year. I logged, ate less, lost 30lbs and realized this would work and put it down and picked a fork. My life is insane. I'm a recovering addict that isn't going to overeat today. We can do this. I feel that as long as I keep putting in the effort someday it may happen for me. I do stepwork in a 12 step program for overeating. I love everyone in the world and I want the best for everyone. I'm a single dad of two teenage girls that support me in everything I'm trying to accomplish.
  • Metallifan79
    Metallifan79 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Colin from Kelso, Washington. I'm 6'7" and currently 346 pounds, but was 430 pounds at my highest. I lost 170 pounds about 9 years ago and got down to 260 pounds, but put back on 120 pounds. I hope I can be of some help.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Hi Sean and Colin, hope you enjoy our group!
  • Metallifan79
    Metallifan79 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • BrutalMeHonest
    BrutalMeHonest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My name is Melissa and I've struggled with my weight my whole life. (short intro story)

I'm a fat Canadian woman married to a thin American man, and my life has sure changed over the last 7 years. I've always been big, but shortly after I married in 2010, I fell down a flight of stairs which left me bedbound for almost a year. I've developed back issues due to my accident + gaining weight, and am now at my heaviest ever, over 400 LBs.
    As I've been getting older, I've noticed my body giving me signs of "hey it's time to make a freaking change". I've tried and tried and tried to lose weight over the years. Nutritionists, dietitians, personal trainers, fasting, yoyo diets, you name it. Nothing ever stuck, and I always fell back into bad habits and not caring.
    This last new years something changed though, I made a lifestyle change and strangely enough.. it's stuck. I've moved to eating a vegetarian diet, something I've never before had an interest in. I didn't even do it for health reasons, I just made the decision and ever since Jan 1st 2017 I've stopped eating meat. I wasn't very good at it at the start though (macaroni and cheese is vegetarian right?), so I didn't see any difference in my weight. I was still bingeing and eating tons of junk food.
    What brought me back to MFP is funny actually. I was doing some research because I was told Parmesan cheese is not vegetarian (wow it actually isn't *mind blown*), which lead me to MFP. Decided to start back up again, with no real goals in mind. I figured I'd probably just drop it again like I always did in the past, but strangely enough I've been really having fun logging my food every day. I'm on my longest MFP streak ever, and since I started looking really hard at what I'm consuming every day to not only log the food, but be sure I'm eating vegetarian meals, I've started seeing progress.
    Switching to a vegetarian diet really made me take an extra minute every day to plan my meals, and even when I go out to eat, I'm more careful than I've ever been in what I order.

tl;dr 400 lb meat and junk food junkie switches to vegetarian diet, starts using mfp daily. Goal: lose 200 lbs.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you Melissa, and best wishes for success!

I know what you mean by it not sticking and then suddenly just clicking. I lost about 90 lbs in 2012 by calorie counting on a different site. Then I had thyroid issues which turned out to be thyroid cancer, and then went through the whole followup process of having it removed, etc, and I'm still working with the doctor to find what's good for me. In the process, though, I could see my weight creeping back up until I was within 6 lbs of my original starting weight.

I could see it coming back on slowly, but depression and stress set in and undermined each of my attempts to try to stop it. I'd start calorie counting again, only to give up a few days or weeks later. I started walking in 2015, but then moved and didn't start it back up.

Finally, though, back in January, something clicked and I started calorie counting again and stuck with it. I switched to a Mediterranean style diet and focused on cutting out most of my added sugar and trying to get fruits and veggies in and to restrict my carbs moderately. Surprising to myself, it's been 4 months and I'm still at it and now 50 lbs lighter!
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm Clare. Here's a little about myself so we can get acquainted.

Like many here I've always been overweight. I've never really dieted before though. I was too perfectionistic to give it a try! Lately it's all been clicking and I finally know how to approach this. I've been of MFP since Feb and am trying to build a community of people who are moving towards the same things. I am looking for friends! I'm super positive, librarianesque about data, a lover of many sports, and a giant nerd. Not in the hot way. In the "i need to look up the name of the kid who played the son of the Equalizer on the 80s tv show because I think he was the evil kid in karate kid 1". It's a sickness.

So hello and hope to hear from you!

• pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I was doing some research because I was told Parmesan cheese is not vegetarian (wow it actually isn't *mind blown*), which lead me to MFP. .

WHAT???? All my illusions are shattered!

• BrutalMeHonest
    BrutalMeHonest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    pnece wrote: »

I was doing some research because I was told Parmesan cheese is not vegetarian (wow it actually isn't *mind blown*), which lead me to MFP. .

WHAT???? All my illusions are shattered!

Right??? lmao
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    So... I was looking at groups and stumbled upon this one. For over a decade I weighed over 300lbs topping out at 403 in Feb 2014. In March 2015 I had vertical sleeve Gastrectomy. Through major changes in eating and exercising habits, and educating myself about health, I now weigh 198lbs. I'm supportive of anyone trying to keep or stay healthy regardless of weight. And I'm always open to learning more about diet and nutrition. Feel free to add me especially if you have any questions about my surgery.
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Head hung low been MIa for a while . On shaky grown I come once again to try and succeed in this journey . Taking small steps. Will weight I. The morning and go from there first goal is 10 lbs . And adding water lots of water .
    Kat