Low carb protein shake recipes

Options
Figaver
Figaver Posts: 69 Member
Asking for my husband. He was lifting at the gym during his lunch hour and getting a protein shake afterwards from whatever juicer place that was there. But now We decided to set up a home gym in the basement and work out together in the evenings instead. I have no idea what kind of protein shake I should be making him. He is a type 2 diabetic, so I'm assuming I should be keeping the carbs low? I found some recipes that sounded delicious and had 40+ grams of protein per shake, but they also had the same amount or more of carbs. Does anyone have any insight on what amounts of nutrients are the right blend for muscle building or good recipes they could share?

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Aldi sells protein powder that is low carb but I haven't tasted it so proceed at your own risk. I often add an egg to BPC if he likes that.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    as far as powders go I like this one as it blends well and doesn't have it's own strong flavor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128VQT6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

There are many powdered options out there though and people who are far more versed than I who can give you good recommendations.

For shakes not made with powdered protein supplements I like using Fage total 2% plain yogurt as a base: 8g carb/20g protein/4g fat.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Figaver - 40g sugar for a diabetic = :scream:

I wouldn't (personally) take 8g, either, though full-fat Greek yogurt has a lower lactose level than normal dairy, especially the reduced-fat stuff.

There are genuine experts around who may be able to offer insights. @cstehansen @Gallowmere1984 @midwesterner85
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes to share, but if you're interested in a powder Isopure has a line of zero and low carb options. 50g protein per serving, blends with water very easily, and the flavors I've tried tasted good enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHZA4O6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That is a whole lot of carbs for a protein shake... I've never even heard of protein shakes having as much carbs as protein. However, this reminds me of the difference between protein bars and energy bars. In fact, many energy bars are actually marketed as protein bars. The difference is that a protein bar has usually around 20g-40g of protein and maybe 3g-5g carbs. An energy bar has about as many grams of carbs as it does protein, and as much as twice the carbs as it has protein.

I think you might have an energy shake that is marketed as a protein shake. Try switching to a quality casein protein powder / shake instead. 40g of carbs would make most type 2's end up with high BG for hours; though there are different levels of insulin resistance and treatment regimens among type 2's (so results are not going to be consistent... can't be good still, it's just a matter of how bad it is).
  • Figaver
    Options
    gcminton wrote: »
    I don't have any recipes to share, but if you're interested in a powder Isopure has a line of zero and low carb options. 50g protein per serving, blends with water very easily, and the flavors I've tried tasted good enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHZA4O6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

This may be what I need to get. I had looked at it before, but didn't order because of the price. If it truly tastes good mixed with water though, it's worth paying that much.
  • Figaver
    Options
    That is a whole lot of carbs for a protein shake... I've never even heard of protein shakes having as much carbs as protein. However, this reminds me of the difference between protein bars and energy bars. In fact, many energy bars are actually marketed as protein bars. The difference is that a protein bar has usually around 20g-40g of protein and maybe 3g-5g carbs. An energy bar has about as many grams of carbs as it does protein, and as much as twice the carbs as it has protein.

I think you might have an energy shake that is marketed as a protein shake. Try switching to a quality casein protein powder / shake instead. 40g of carbs would make most type 2's end up with high BG for hours; though there are different levels of insulin resistance and treatment regimens among type 2's (so results are not going to be consistent... can't be good still, it's just a matter of how bad it is).

These recipes were from an article I found titled "7 Muscle Building Smoothie Recipes". So I guess to be fair they weren't trying to market them solely as protein shakes. But most of them had 35-45g of protein and anywhere from 35-60g carbs.
    My biggest issue is that I'm pretty confused on what the correct balance of nutrients is he should be eating to help gain muscle. He does have type 2 diabetes, but for him it had more to do with genetics than lifestyle. He is 6'3" and 175lbs. He doesn't take any medications, just manages it with diet and exercise. His A1C is in normal range now. He's a tall and lanky guy who would like to gain more muscle definition. Maybe I should have him message his doctor and see what they say.
    Thank you for the information regarding protein vs. energy bars. That makes a lot of sense!
  • Figaver
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    as far as powders go I like this one as it blends well and doesn't have it's own strong flavor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128VQT6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

There are many powdered options out there though and people who are far more versed than I who can give you good recommendations.

For shakes not made with powdered protein supplements I like using Fage total 2% plain yogurt as a base: 8g carb/20g protein/4g fat.

This one isn't whey protein, right? Is there a reason why someone would choose this kind over another?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Figaver wrote: »
    These recipes were from an article I found titled "7 Muscle Building Smoothie Recipes". So I guess to be fair they weren't trying to market them solely as protein shakes. But most of them had 35-45g of protein and anywhere from 35-60g carbs.
    My biggest issue is that I'm pretty confused on what the correct balance of nutrients is he should be eating to help gain muscle. He does have type 2 diabetes, but for him it had more to do with genetics than lifestyle. He is 6'3" and 175lbs. He doesn't take any medications, just manages it with diet and exercise. His A1C is in normal range now. He's a tall and lanky guy who would like to gain more muscle definition. Maybe I should have him message his doctor and see what they say.
    Thank you for the information regarding protein vs. energy bars. That makes a lot of sense!

That the shakes you found were promoted as 'for muscle building purposes' would explain the number of carbs being that high. Traditional muscle building wisdom is to match carbs with protein to maximize the effect on muscle (I think even Gallomere has discovered that it is easier to bulk with more carbs than most low-carbers are comfortable with.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I used to have these all the time. Now, I realize I am much better served just eating a few hard boiled eggs. Better nutrition, cheaper, easier, etc.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

That the shakes you found were promoted as 'for muscle building purposes' would explain the number of carbs being that high. Traditional muscle building wisdom is to match carbs with protein to maximize the effect on muscle (I think even Gallomere has discovered that it is easier to bulk with more carbs than most low-carbers are comfortable with.

Yes, and this is an area where I'm not quite as knowledgeable. My assumption is that muscle growth suffers on a low carb diet because protein is prioritized to convert to glucose for central nervous system functions. As such, one would need to eat a whole lot more protein on a low carb diet (compared to a moderate or high carb diet) in order to grow muscle at a decent rate for a prolonged period of time.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

This one isn't whey protein, right? Is there a reason why someone would choose this kind over another?

Casein is the other protein in milk, besides whey. Casein is considered in the bodybuilding community to be a "slow" protein, and frankly, you usually want a mix of both for muscle gain purposes.

Most real protein powders (not to be mistaken for "meal shakes") will be low carb, but always check the ingredients to be sure. I'm personally a fan of Jay Robb or Union brand whey protein powders.

From there, just pick your favorite liquid base. I usually do milk, though almond milk or water works, too. Pro tip -- be mindful of any gums in both the milk drink and the protein powder, I've found that when both contain things like xanthan gum (used to give the drink a creamier mouthfeel), it really thickens up. If you get a gum+gum combination, just be sure to put in some plain water so you don't end up with what is essentially viscous jell-o.

Yes, and this is an area where I'm not quite as knowledgeable. My assumption is that muscle growth suffers on a low carb diet because protein is prioritized to convert to glucose for central nervous system functions. As such, one would need to eat a whole lot more protein on a low carb diet (compared to a moderate or high carb diet) in order to grow muscle at a decent rate for a prolonged period of time.

The Ketogains guys beg to differ.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    He does have type 2 diabetes, but for him it had more to do with genetics than lifestyle. He is 6'3" and 175lbs. He doesn't take any medications, just manages it with diet and exercise. His A1C is in normal range now.

Did a doc ID the genetic issue? Just out of curiosity, what sort of A1c is he running? (In my hard-won experience, many PCPs extend the upper range of "normal" into what many T2Ds would consider beyond pre-diabetic and into full-blown diabetes.) Good for him if he's got it under control with diet & lifestyle changes!
  • Figaver
    Options

Did a doc ID the genetic issue? Just out of curiosity, what sort of A1c is he running? (In my hard-won experience, many PCPs extend the upper range of "normal" into what many T2Ds would consider beyond pre-diabetic and into full-blown diabetes.) Good for him if he's got it under control with diet & lifestyle changes!
    [/quote]

I didn't attend that specific appt with him, but I believe what his doctor was saying that with his family history he was likely genetically predisposed to getting type 2. When he was initially diagnosed, his a1c was 6.8. He did take metformin for 3 months and completely changed his lifestyle. The medicine was awful for his stomach and he dropped weight quickly and he stopped taking it because he couldn't stand it anymore. His a1c at his last appt was 5.5. It's been about 2 years since the diagnosis. He can go through spurts where he is awful with his diet, but he does try to stay consistent with exercise atleast.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Figaver, an FYI, just in case...

There's a huge difference between gentle name brand Glucophage B) and the more explosive :s of the many cheap generic Metformins on the market.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394798/t2d-glucophage-name-brand-metformin-generic
  • Figaver
    Options
    @RalfLott
    Wow! I wish I had known this back when my husband was still taking the medicine. His sister still takes it, so I'm going to forward this information on to her.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott
    Wow! I wish I had known this back when my husband was still taking the medicine. His sister still takes it, so I'm going to forward this information on to her.

Great!

Dr. Bernstein" videos and his book Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution are fantastic resources - highly recommended for everyone with diabetes (a disease you beat with knowledge!).

His guiding principle is that diabetics are entitled to the same BG - and the same lower risk for cardiac diseases, Alzheimer's, etc. - as non-diabetics, and he targets his advice accordingly.

PS That kind of advice is not something you can readily find in the ADA's pamphlets and cookbooks. :s

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346123/official-diabetes-diet-misinformation-any-candidates-for-the-darwin-awards
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    GNC's Wheybolic Unflavored Extreme 60: one scoop (26 GR) = 20 G protein and 2 G carb (zero G sugar). Truly flavorless (and that's what you want, you can always choose from a variety of your own flavoring agents) and completely disappears into a smoothie. Never found a "vegan" protein powder that doesn't have the mouth feel of sand.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Yeah, definitely the case for me. I tend to run about 350g carb, 215-230g protein, and about 50g fat per day on non-lifting days. Carbs go up close to 500, and everything else stays similar on training days. I also do all of this via 90%+ whole food, because apparently I hate myself. :D

As for the protein, I generally just use MyProtein's Impact Whey Concentrate now. Much cheaper than Isopure, and it's still only 1g carb to 19-20g protein. They have a huge range of flavors, some great, some not so much.
  • pyxis953
    pyxis953 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    gcminton wrote: »

This may be what I need to get. I had looked at it before, but didn't order because of the price. If it truly tastes good mixed with water though, it's worth paying that much.

I'm late to the party and new to the group, but I use isopure in many forms - especially the unflavored and the chocolate. The chocolate actually tastes great in just water. It's not as tasty as the muscle milk chocolate, but it's totally palatable in my opinion. Sometimes I'll have a frozen one (frosty style) for dessert.