Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
In trawling for good summaries to share, the first site I came across looks like a worthy candidate for the booby prize. But there must be others.....

Of all the publications one might not expect to rival Mad Magazine or The Onion, the National Diabetes Education Program has some pretty funny writers.

From 4 Steps to Manage Your Diabetes For Life:
Eat well.
  • Eat foods with more fiber, such as whole grain cereals, breads, crackers, rice, or pasta.
  • Choose foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, bread and cereals, and low-fat or skim milk and cheese.
  • A plate of food with proportions listed
    4steps_7.jpg
  • When eating a meal, fill half of your plate with fruits and vegetables, one quarter with a lean protein, such as beans, or chicken or turkey without the skin, and one quarter with a whole grain, such as brown rice or whole wheat pasta.

[All the metformin (and imodium) in the house wouldn't keep my BG down if this were my diet....]

If this is the advice for those of us who've already been diagnosed, one might wonder what the suggestions are for prediabetics and others at risk for T2D.

From Make Healthy Food Choices (to lower risk and delay onset of diabetes):
When it comes to eating healthy to lose weight, the three most important steps are:
  • Take in fewer calories than you burn during the day.
  • Eat less fat (especially saturated fats and trans fats) than you currently eat.
    Saturated fat is found mostly in foods that come from animals like fatty cuts of beef, lamb, pork, poultry with skin, whole and 2% milk, butter, cheese, and lard. It can also be found in palm and coconut oil.
  • Eat smaller portions of high fat and high calorie foods than you currently eat. Portion sizes are often smaller than we think.
Healthy eating tips
  • Choose foods that are not fried. Instead of fried chicken, try it grilled or baked. Instead of greasy french fries or potato chips, slice potatoes, mix them with a little bit of oil, herbs, and pepper, and bake them in the oven.
  • Lighten your recipes by using reduced-fat (light) or fat-free versions of items such as sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheese and salad dressing.
  • For dessert, eat a piece of fruit. Also, try fat-free or low-fat frozen yogurt or sherbet instead of ice cream. Instead of cakes or brownies, have one scoop of vanilla fat-free frozen yogurt with a tablespoon of fat-free chocolate sauce on top.
Focus on fruits. Eat a variety of fruits—whether fresh, frozen, canned, or dried—rather than fruit juice for most of your fruit choices. For a 2,000-calorie diet, you will need 2 cups of fruit each day (for example, 1 small banana, 1 large orange, and 1/4 cup of dried apricots or peaches)

Make half your grains whole. Eat at least 3 ounces of whole-grain cereals, breads, crackers, rice, or pasta every day. One ounce is about 1 slice of bread, 1 cup of breakfast cereal, or 1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta. Look to see that grains such as wheat, rice, oats, or corn are referred to as “whole” in the list of ingredients.

Recommended Calories and Fat Grams Daily
  • 120 –170 pounds-
    1,200 calories a day
    33 grams fat a day
  • 175 – 215 pounds-
    1,500 calories a day
    42 grams fat a day
  • 220 – 245 pounds-
    1,800 calories a day
    50 grams fat a day
  • 250 – 300 pounds-
    2000 calories a day
    55 grams fat a day

Replies

• RalfLott
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Yes, that's standard advice. They don't seem to notice that it does NOT work.

My grandmother died of diabetic complications, that's what she ate all her life. Bland, tasteless, boring, depressing food, until she was nothing but skin and bones and had to make an effort to eat. She never cheated, not even at Christmas or birthdays. No matter what everyone else was eating, she had her own food. Still died after having first a foot, then a leg, amputated. When I got the same advice I said no, thank you.

I am SO MAD at the lies being spread around by doctors and diabetes "educators" that should know better, and so sad for all the people trying their best and still getting worse every day.

It is just infuriating.

I am only one person, but at this point in my life, I am pretty sure I'm not very unique in any respect. If LCHF produced a significant, near-immediate improvement in my BG and lipid profile, there must be millions in the same boat.

Yet sources most of us would have in our first circle of trusted references tell us to load up with carbs. This includes not only the NIH, but Mayo Clinic and Consumer Reports.* Eegads!

*The ADA was never in that tier to start with, but it's got the same stripes.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Diabetic Magazine has recipes with up to 65 carbs per portion in it. That is pretty close to what many eat in the SAD.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Yes, that's standard advice. They don't seem to notice that it does NOT work.

My grandmother died of diabetic complications, that's what she ate all her life. Bland, tasteless, boring, depressing food, until she was nothing but skin and bones and had to make an effort to eat. She never cheated, not even at Christmas or birthdays. No matter what everyone else was eating, she had her own food. Still died after having first a foot, then a leg, amputated. When I got the same advice I said no, thank you.

I am SO MAD at the lies being spread around by doctors and diabetes "educators" that should know better, and so sad for all the people trying their best and still getting worse every day.

Oh that's awful! How infuriating! I am so sorry to hear this.

My husband was told when he was diagnosed with T2 to switch to low fat foods and to strive for about 60 gm of carbs per meal and 10-20 gm for snacks 2-3 times a day. It's really really scary, and these instructions come with very real consequences.
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article that cited the ADA as a source; it recommended people with T2 diabetes eat 45-60 grams of carbs PER MEAL!!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KaseyDH83 wrote: »
    I recently read an article that cited the ADA as a source; it recommended people with T2 diabetes eat 45-60 grams of carbs PER MEAL!!

Whew!

And what.... eat lightly and have, uh, 8 or 10 meals per day. Let's see, that's hmmm.. up to 600 carb grams/day?

Ok, so it's only 3 meals and 135-180 per day. That's still nuts (and rice and pasta and cereal and.... BG spikes).

On Sisson's Carb Curve, posted in LCHF a few days ago, 135-180 hovers between
    "Effortless weight maintenance" (not the goal, duh) and "Insidious Weight Gain" (really not the goal!).

Carb-Curve-300x300.jpg

It is not even within hailing distance of the "Weight Loss Sweet Spot !"

Damn!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!

There are some pretty good TED Talks on diabetes and diet, including Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines by Sarah Hallberg (which popped up first in the on-deck circle when I loaded Peter Attia's video).
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan , the more I read about obesity research over the last 150 years, the more I want to punch some of these 'scientists' and 'doctors' in the face. It's like it's easier to blame the obese for their condition, and write it off as a character defect, rather then treat the problem. We had the keto/Adkins type diets since the 1800s, and they WORKED, in clinical studies, every time, but always got laughed out of town.
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/carb-counting-101/?pos=1&xid=nl_EverydayHealthManagingDiabetes_20160216

This is the link to the article I referred to above. The title of the article is "How to Count Carbs for Better Blood Sugar Control." It then goes on to state that carbs should make up 40-60 percent of your diet; and recommends 45-60 grams per meal.

For someone like me, who is prediabetic, this is terrible advice.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    KaseyDH83 wrote: »

Whew!

And what.... eat lightly and have, uh, 8 or 10 meals per day. Let's see, that's hmmm.. up to 600 carb grams/day?

Ok, so it's only 3 meals and 135-180 per day. That's still nuts (and rice and pasta and cereal and.... BG spikes).

On Sisson's Carb Curve, posted in LCHF a few days ago, 135-180 hovers between
    "Effortless weight maintenance" (not the goal, duh) and "Insidious Weight Gain" (really not the goal!).

Carb-Curve-300x300.jpg

It is not even within hailing distance of the "Weight Loss Sweet Spot !"

Damn!

Have you ever pictured the grain/starch recommendation in actual food? I did that once. Turns out that the general USDA recommendation of 6-11 servings is roughly a loaf of bread.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Have you ever pictured the grain/starch recommendation in actual food? I did that once. Turns out that the general USDA recommendation of 6-11 servings is roughly a loaf of bread.

when i was in elementary school in the 1970's (yes, i'm THAT old) the RDA was
    3-2-4-4
    i can still remember singing the little song
    "have a 3-2-4-4 day!"

3 dairy
    2 meat
    4 grain
    4 vegetable/fruits

MY HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED!affaj9qndikt.jpg

• MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    NOW THE RECOMMENDED IS

3 dairy
    3 meat
    11 grains
    9 fruit/vegetables
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2016
    Options
    when i was in elementary school in the 1970's (yes, i'm THAT old)...

A babe in arms!

When I was in elementary school in the 1960's, there was a lot of tasty, high-carb library paste to snack on, at least at the beginning of the year, but the jingles we learned were mostly bible songs. I'm envious!

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The excuse I hear the most as to why medical professionals don't recommend LCHF is because it's not sustainable. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. This is the most sustainable woe I have ever tried! Eating rice, cake, bread and French fries is going to sustain me right into a grave. LCLF - now that's unsustainable, I think too many diabetics who know carbs are bad end up down that path for too long, I know I did. The fat is what makes this so sustainable.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The excuse I hear the most as to why medical professionals don't recommend LCHF is because it's not sustainable. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. This is the most sustainable woe I have ever tried! Eating rice, cake, bread and French fries is going to sustain me right into a grave. LCLF - now that's unsustainable, I think too many diabetics who know carbs are bad end up down that path for too long, I know I did. The fat is what makes this so sustainable.

So true!!!! I have tried it all. My husband and I have been at this for a year, I can't say I've even considered sticking with anything else for half that long.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic's entry for the Darwin Award in the "Deadly Diabetes Diet" category.

Both 70+ carb-gram breakfast menus look like products of unnatural selection to me.....

This gem emanates from a dietitian and specialty editor for the nutrition and healthy eating guide at Mayo. (Note that protein doesn't even get a footnote....)

so4dbdhotk56.gif