Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    But.... if everyone with prediabetes or T2D were to test themselves 2-4x daily and get A1c tests every 3 months, as weakly suggested somewhere in the CDC brochure, then correlate the lab results with what they've eaten (as all of us T2D's here have done), what a dramatic and effective educational device that could be.

Timely, effective, individualized attention could be such a boon.

This is why I'm looking forward to the upcoming technological revolution that is on the horizon for the medical industry. Have a look at Dr. Eric Topol's stuff, I think you might be interested in it. There's a lot of low-cost stuff that plugs into smartphones to do all sorts of stuff, like constantly measure blood glucose levels and whatnot. It's really cool stuff.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A guy on my Facebook had a post about finding out he was pre-diabetic. He was eating a "healthy" lunch using a guide book his doctor gave him. The southwest salad from McDonald's (with corn, tortilla strips, and carby dressing), chicken nuggets, and a fruit and yogurt parfait! His book is obviously a guide to needing pharmaceuticals to control your blood sugar!!!! That's more carbs than I eat probably in two days for one meal!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming technological revolution that is on the horizon for the medical industry. Have a look at Dr. Eric Topol's stuff, I think you might be interested in it. There's a lot of low-cost stuff that plugs into smartphones to do all sorts of stuff, like constantly measure blood glucose levels and whatnot. It's really cool stuff.

Great stuff - thanks for the tip!

FYI, here are links to Dr. Topol's TEDTalk, The Wireless Future of Medicine and his website, the Creative Destruction of Medicine
  • RalfLott
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    A guy on my Facebook had a post about finding out he was pre-diabetic. He was eating a "healthy" lunch using a guide book his doctor gave him. The southwest salad from McDonald's (with corn, tortilla strips, and carby dressing), chicken nuggets, and a fruit and yogurt parfait! His book is obviously a guide to needing pharmaceuticals to control your blood sugar!!!! That's more carbs than I eat probably in two days for one meal!

I wonder who published that lovely guide book....the Sugar Association, among others, comes to mind.

Any chance he hasn't already burned it and could produce the title and publisher?
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    (...)

Taken from page 4...
    "Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes
    You may recall having some of these signs before you found out you had diabetes:
     Being very thirsty.
     Urinating a lot—often at night.
     Having blurry vision from time to time.
     Feeling very tired much of the time.

 Losing weight without trying.
     Having very dry skin.
     Having sores that are slow to heal.
     Getting more infections than usual.
     Losing feeling or getting a tingling feeling in the feet.

 Vomiting."

How many of you T2D's were "losing weight without trying"?? Even being very thirsty and urinating a lot is referencing the state of Ketoacidosis associated with complete failure of the beta cells in a T1D... If it does apply to T2D, it's not nearly in the same way.

(...)

You know, this is not such a bad list of symptoms. I had had all of them for years, except for the "losing weight" and the "vomiting". And I often felt like I was going to/needed to vomit, only I could never do it.

I was one of those people that "are never thirsty" and I drank very little (of course, being a vegetarian most of my food had a high water content). And then, suddenly, maybe a year or so before I was diagnosed I developed an all consuming thirst, my throat felt dry, rough, parched like no water (or orange juice) could ever be enough, and I woke up 4 and 5 times every night to urinate. This thirst clearly was not "normal" and it was the first symptom I connected with diabetes and the main reason I was not that surprised when I got the diagnostic.

And the sudden effortless weight loss, though not as common, does happen. A friend of mine who has always been average weight lost a lot of weight during the last year. She didn't worry about it because, you know, "you can never be too thin". And then she found, by accident, using a friend's meter at a party, that her BG was 500+ and the meter couldn't read it. At the hospital she was told she was lucky to not be in a coma or to not "wake up dead" and that to have those levels of BG she has to have been diabetic for many years, probably more than ten. She has a family history of diabetes and yet, probably because she was never overweight, no doctor ever thought of including an A1c or FBG, much less a glucose tolerance test, in her routine check-ups.

Given the prevalence of the diabetes epidemic I can't understand why they're not testing everyone. Except that if they did it maybe more people would reverse it on their own without spending the rest of their lives paying for very expensive medication. :grimace:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    (...)

Taken from page 4...
    You may recall having some of these signs before you found out you had diabetes:
     Being very thirsty.

 Having very dry skin.

 Vomiting."

How many of you T2D's were "losing weight without trying"?? Even being very thirsty and urinating a lot is referencing the state of Ketoacidosis associated with complete failure of the beta cells in a T1D... If it does apply to T2D, it's not nearly in the same way.

(...)

You know, this is not such a bad list of symptoms. I had had all of them for years, except for the "losing weight" and the "vomiting". And I often felt like I was going to/needed to vomit, only I could never do it.

I was one of those people that "are never thirsty" and I drank very little (of course, being a vegetarian most of my food had a high water content). And then, suddenly, maybe a year or so before I was diagnosed I developed an all consuming thirst, my throat felt dry, rough, parched like no water (or orange juice) could ever be enough, and I woke up 4 and 5 times every night to urinate. This thirst clearly was not "normal" and it was the first symptom I connected with diabetes and the main reason I was not that surprised when I got the diagnostic.

And the sudden effortless weight loss, though not as common, does happen. A friend of mine who has always been average weight lost a lot of weight during the last year. She didn't worry about it because, you know, "you can never be too thin". And then she found, by accident, using a friend's meter at a party, that her BG was 500+ and the meter couldn't read it. At the hospital she was told she was lucky to not be in a coma or to not "wake up dead" and that to have those levels of BG she has to have been diabetic for many years, probably more than ten. She has a family history of diabetes and yet, probably because she was never overweight, no doctor ever thought of including an A1c or FBG, much less a glucose tolerance test, in her routine check-ups.

Given the prevalence of the diabetes epidemic I can't understand why they're not testing everyone. Except that if they did it maybe more people would reverse it on their own without spending the rest of their lives paying for very expensive medication. :grimace:

Have either of you talked to your doctors about LADA? It's an "atypical" variation of Type 1 Diabetes that can occur in adults. Basically, you develop autoimmunity over a much slower time than typical T1D.

According to this paper -- http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/54/suppl_2/S68.full -- LADA is the actual culprit in as much as 25% of Diabetics that were original diagnosed with Type 2.

I suspect that this is a big reason the same symptoms are used for both Type 1 and Type 2. Two big differences are that LADA Diabetics have antibodies (true Type 2s don't), and LADA Diabetics don't respond to oral diabetes medications like Metformin.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options

Have either of you talked to your doctors about LADA? It's an "atypical" variation of Type 1 Diabetes that can occur in adults. Basically, you develop autoimmunity over a much slower time than typical T1D.

According to this paper -- http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/54/suppl_2/S68.full -- LADA is the actual culprit in as much as 25% of Diabetics that were original diagnosed with Type 2.

I suspect that this is a big reason the same symptoms are used for both Type 1 and Type 2. Two big differences are that LADA Diabetics have antibodies (true Type 2s don't), and LADA Diabetics don't respond to oral diabetes medications like Metformin.

@Dragonwolf thank you for suggesting LADA. I had never even considered it and I don't think it could be my case. My last A1c was 5.4% and even my FBG is now rarely above 90 (that took more than a year to achieve!). I take no medication except for Glucophage (metformin) if I intend to go off plan.

But I'll suggest to my friend to look into it. She also needs to find a good doctor. Her diagnosis was very much a surprise, the doctor that saw her scared her with the stupid usual remarks (it's forever, get used to it, it has no cure, it will only get worse, it's very likely you'll need insulin), prescribed a ton of drugs with awful secondary effects and scheduled another appointment for 3 months later.

She's still in shock. I'm one of the very few people that knows, her family is not taking it seriously and she's confused and depressed. I'm trying to help but honestly, with all the drugs she's taking, I'm not comfortable suggesting she goes very low carb. I gave her a bunch of books that helped me, she knows I have my diabetes controlled and I'm available to help but it's her body and it has to be her research and her decision.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    (...)

Taken from page 4...
     Being very thirsty.

 Having very dry skin.

 Vomiting."

(...)

That's exactly what I was about to say! You're friend probably doesn't have T2D.
    You simply don't lose weight with the T2 symptoms. You're friend was no doubt quickly approaching Ketoacidosis. Which could have caused coma.
    If she does have LADA low carb can help prolong the period of time that her pancreas does still function.
    My point was just that they don't even include all the symptoms of T2D and they lump all of them together even if they don't all apply to both. Someone could easily think, "well I don't have that because I'm losing weight". Especially if they don't want to believe it.
    Plus it adds to the constant confusion between the types.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options

That's exactly what I was about to say! You're friend probably doesn't have T2D.
    You simply don't lose weight with the T2 symptoms. You're friend was no doubt quickly approaching Ketoacidosis. Which could have caused coma.
    If she does have LADA low carb can help prolong the period of time that her pancreas does still function.
    My point was just that they don't even include all the symptoms of T2D and they lump all of them together even if they don't all apply to both. Someone could easily think, "well I don't have that because I'm losing weight". Especially if they don't want to believe it.
    Plus it adds to the constant confusion between the types.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Sorry, I didn't understand you before but you are right. That may very well have happened with my friend. Her mother was diabetic, she must have seen some signs. But no one wants to believe they have such a devastating disease, it's human to act as if without a diagnosis there's no disease. Especially when all the info available makes it look like it'll be all downhill from there.

I'll be with her next week and I'll talk about this issue. I also asked her to start a food/BG diary so she'll have more data. She eats next to nothing, what she calls "a meal" is what I'd call "a snack". On top of that since her diagnosis she was trying to control carbs without upping fats and I'm not sure I convinced her she was going to starve. I hope she read some of the books I gave her, she's not the internet type.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @KetoGirl83 I keep thinking about your friend. I suddenly remembered meeting Sean Busby at last years Type 1 Nation Summit. He went 6 years as a latent onset (LADA) T1D with a bad T2D diagnosis, mostly because he was 19 years old when diagnosed. http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2012/feb/snowboarder-sean-busby-shreds-tough-slopes.html
    This article doesn't even mention LADA, which makes it seem like T1D isn't really that serious if someone can go 6 years before finally being treated properly! But, he was speaking at the conference, representing LADA and discussing misdiagnosis and how even doctors are not well enough aware.
    It really goes to be even further reveal the disconnect between the very real symptom of weight gain with T2D. Any doctor that thinks someone that is wasting away from T2D is an idiot! It's a disorder of energy storage. The person is starving nutritionally, because the body is storing too much and won't use the energy for actual needs, because of too much insulin, and of course telling them they are hungry all the time. That's why everyone wants to blame someone for getting fat and that being the reason they got T2D, not the other way around. T1D is not a metabolic issue at all. There's no storage problem. The person is starving, literally, because the body cannot move any of the energy into storage or use. So, while they could eat 10000 calories a day, their body will still be using ketones, breaking down fat and muscle like crazy, because there is no ability to use the glucose flooding the blood because there is no insulin. These things are polar opposites, and so are their symptoms.
    The confusion that creates misdiagnosis like Sean Busby and probably your friend had, comes from, amazingly enough, doctors that don't understand this most basic difference. And charts that lump all the symptoms together of 2 entirely different things, one an autoimmune disease and the other a metabolic disorder simply because they both result in high blood sugar is the dumbest thing I've ever known!
    I was at the doctor today for a check up and I just saw the nurse practitioner for it. We started just chatting about my daughter Emily (T1D) and how she's doing on the pump and low carb and how much she has reduced insulin. Anyway, I mentioned how she's overly concerned about her weight and how scary thin she was at one time. So first the nurse says, wow that's crazy! That's a lot less insulin that many of the T2D patients I see use. Then she started talking about how weight is so crazy because I mentioned how Emily isn't eating enough calories to gain actual weight but appears to have actually put on real weight, not just water. Then she says "yes, it can do crazy things. One of my T2D patients is losing weight like crazy lately without even trying, but of course that's a good thing in his case".... Ugh.... She was basically realizing that her formerly overweight patient was looking crazy thin all of a sudden, like the photo I was showing her of my daughter, and wasn't making any connection that it didn't sound right. I just said, huh, it sounds like he has type 1, or at least LADA. And of course that was the end of that.
    I find it absolutely terrifying that these very common things are so incredibly misunderstood.
  • KetoGirl83
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @KetoGirl83 I keep thinking about your friend. I suddenly remembered meeting Sean Busby at last years Type 1 Nation Summit. He went 6 years as a latent onset (LADA) T1D with a bad T2D diagnosis, mostly because he was 19 years old when diagnosed. http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2012/feb/snowboarder-sean-busby-shreds-tough-slopes.html
    This article doesn't even mention LADA, which makes it seem like T1D isn't really that serious if someone can go 6 years before finally being treated properly! But, he was speaking at the conference, representing LADA and discussing misdiagnosis and how even doctors are not well enough aware.
    It really goes to be even further reveal the disconnect between the very real symptom of weight gain with T2D. Any doctor that thinks someone that is wasting away from T2D is an idiot! It's a disorder of energy storage. The person is starving nutritionally, because the body is storing too much and won't use the energy for actual needs, because of too much insulin, and of course telling them they are hungry all the time. That's why everyone wants to blame someone for getting fat and that being the reason they got T2D, not the other way around. T1D is not a metabolic issue at all. There's no storage problem. The person is starving, literally, because the body cannot move any of the energy into storage or use. So, while they could eat 10000 calories a day, their body will still be using ketones, breaking down fat and muscle like crazy, because there is no ability to use the glucose flooding the blood because there is no insulin. These things are polar opposites, and so are their symptoms.
    The confusion that creates misdiagnosis like Sean Busby and probably your friend had, comes from, amazingly enough, doctors that don't understand this most basic difference. And charts that lump all the symptoms together of 2 entirely different things, one an autoimmune disease and the other a metabolic disorder simply because they both result in high blood sugar is the dumbest thing I've ever known!
    I was at the doctor today for a check up and I just saw the nurse practitioner for it. We started just chatting about my daughter Emily (T1D) and how she's doing on the pump and low carb and how much she has reduced insulin. Anyway, I mentioned how she's overly concerned about her weight and how scary thin she was at one time. So first the nurse says, wow that's crazy! That's a lot less insulin that many of the T2D patients I see use. Then she started talking about how weight is so crazy because I mentioned how Emily isn't eating enough calories to gain actual weight but appears to have actually put on real weight, not just water. Then she says "yes, it can do crazy things. One of my T2D patients is losing weight like crazy lately without even trying, but of course that's a good thing in his case".... Ugh.... She was basically realizing that her formerly overweight patient was looking crazy thin all of a sudden, like the photo I was showing her of my daughter, and wasn't making any connection that it didn't sound right. I just said, huh, it sounds like he has type 1, or at least LADA. And of course that was the end of that.
    I find it absolutely terrifying that these very common things are so incredibly misunderstood.

@Sunny_Bunny_ wow, that's scary. I hadn't even looked into LADA before @Dragonwolf and you both mentioned it. If it is so difficult to get good support when you have a relatively common disease like T2D, what are the chances she'll get a proper diagnosis if she does in fact have LADA? One of the books I gave her "Blood Sugar 101", has some info I'd previously skipped because it didn't look relevant to me, but I'll be sure she brings it to her doctor. Thank you so much for caring.

::flowerforyou::
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Today is American Associationof Diabetes Alert Day! As someone signed up to be notified to participate in advocacy programs, I got an email asking me to share the online risk assessment, which is all fine and dandy, I'm sure it will help lots of people discover they may be at risk. But here are the tips to stay healthy so we can all prevent or delay our inevitable doom. :wink:
    https://doihaveprediabetes.org/reverse-prediabetes.html

Make sure to stay clear of fat and sodium if you're at risk for this glucose metabolism disfunction. You apparently don't need to be concerned at all about eating things that raise the glucose that you cannot metabolize. Whew! That's great news!
    This obviously means that lactose intolerant people don't need to avoid lactose either. Cuz that just doesn't make sense right? I mean everybody knows milk is good for you. Duh!
    I think you're ok if you just don't eat fat and salt. Clearly fat and salt are horrible for you! Geez! Every condition tells you to stay away from those bad boys of the food pyramid!
    So all you nut allergy folks, eat up those peanuts! We must have gotten wrong info about avoiding what's actually making us sick. We just have to avoid fat and salt and everything is fine.
    Wow! Thanks American Association of Diabetes for helping me dodge that bullet!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I did their risk assessment. Apparently I am at low risk. Ha! Tell that to my blood glucose monitor.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I did their risk assessment. Apparently I am at low risk. Ha! Tell that to my blood glucose monitor.

I guess we are at equal risk even though I've never tested a high blood sugar ever.
    Makes perfect sense huh? Lol
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Did you notice that there are no questions that address things like sugar/carbohydrate intake, measured glucose levels, A1C or anything like that? That risk assessment is like having a fire risk assessment that asks everything except whether the thing is flammable or if there's flame around... "Is it painted blue? It's at risk, because blue things tend to catch fire more."
    Today is American Associationof Diabetes Alert Day! As someone signed up to be notified to participate in advocacy programs, I got an email asking me to share the online risk assessment, which is all fine and dandy, I'm sure it will help lots of people discover they may be at risk. But here are the tips to stay healthy so we can all prevent or delay our inevitable doom. :wink:

Make sure to stay clear of fat and sodium if you're at risk for this glucose metabolism disfunction. You apparently don't need to be concerned at all about eating things that raise the glucose that you cannot metabolize. Whew! That's great news!
    This obviously means that lactose intolerant people don't need to avoid lactose either. Cuz that just doesn't make sense right? I mean everybody knows milk is good for you. Duh!
    I think you're ok if you just don't eat fat and salt. Clearly fat and salt are horrible for you! Geez! Every condition tells you to stay away from those bad boys of the food pyramid!
    So all you nut allergy folks, eat up those peanuts! We must have gotten wrong info about avoiding what's actually making us sick. We just have to avoid fat and salt and everything is fine.

Ugh, I know, right?! That has always baffled me. Diabetes is a disorder of glucose handling. Why does it not stand to reason that it would be glucose intake that you'd want to control? What's even more baffling is that they know consuming sugar raises blood sugar, they tell you that, outright! And yet, the actual recommendations go right back to recommending the very things that cause the problems.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Did you notice that there are no questions that address things like sugar/carbohydrate intake, measured glucose levels, A1C or anything like that? That risk assessment is like having a fire risk assessment that asks everything except whether the thing is flammable or if there's flame around... "Is it painted blue? It's at risk, because blue things tend to catch fire more."

Ugh, I know, right?! That has always baffled me. Diabetes is a disorder of glucose handling. Why does it not stand to reason that it would be glucose intake that you'd want to control? What's even more baffling is that they know consuming sugar raises blood sugar, they tell you that, outright! And yet, the actual recommendations go right back to recommending the very things that cause the problems.

That's the best! It's exactly the same thing!
    Except that some of the symptoms, like being overweight, are caused by the condition, so the fire risk assessment should also ask..

1.) Is it smoldering/smoking?
    And clearly it should let you know to keep water far away from any fire as that may damage whatever has caught on fire.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Except that some of the symptoms, like being overweight, are caused by the condition, so the fire risk assessment should also ask..

And clearly it should let you know to keep water far away from any fire as that may damage whatever has caught on fire.

I think you folks are on to something!

Add a cartoonist and videographer and you'll soon have The Diabetic Onion ready to launch.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I think you folks are on to something!

Add a cartoonist and videographer and you'll soon have The Diabetic Onion ready to launch.

WOW! What a great idea! I'd pay to see that site! Maybe we could make a MFP discussion group named that? (LOL!)

Dan
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • jellybelly4327
    jellybelly4327 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was told last week I am pre-diabetic. I see the nutritionist at the end of April. I am curious as to how many carbs you guys nutritionist's suggested for you daily. I am a vegetarian. No eggs, meat. I am in love with cheese. My glucose is high every time I take it. Yes, I was trying to limit my carbs to 45 per meal. I see that does not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.