Oatmeal or no oatmeal

Options

Replies

• varia2u
    varia2u Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »
    Could it also be needing more sodium that is the hunger signal?

Hard to say. I just checked my logs. Sodium was slightly over the first two days since I started LC, but a lot under for the reminder of the week.
  • varia2u
    Options
    I'm actually wondering about the fat intake being too low?

Fat intake ranged from 50 to 110 this week so far thanks to using almond flour.
  • varia2u
    Options
    can111 wrote: »
    What a great community we have here!

I am a low-carb person, not keto. I regularly enjoy an oatmeal breakfast. I limit myself to 1-2 grains per day but not white flour. My favorite breakfast is 1/2 c. old fashioned oats, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 cup sugarfree almond milk, about 8 almonds, 6 oz fruit (raspberries!). I eat this cold. It can be made the night before (minus the nuts) and then is a grab and go in the morning. I stay satiated until lunch! Best wishes on your journey!

Thanks for the comment and support! Once I can confirm it doesn't spike my blood sugar levels I plan to put it on the breakfast rotation. I've never been a huge meat lover so adjusting to eating more of that and fewer carbs is a challenge.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I hate oatmeal. in no form do I enjoy it. Texture is gross, taste is gross, barf-o-rama. But my kids and husband love it. LOVE IT. Would eat it daily. Steel cut, rolled, anything but instant they love it so we have it around but I wouldn't know what to do with it if it jumped out of the cupboard and said "EAT ME!" I'd probably just chuck it in the bin and tell it to quit scaring me.

This is me. It is vile. Makes me gag.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    varia2u wrote: »

Hard to say. I just checked my logs. Sodium was slightly over the first two days since I started LC, but a lot under for the reminder of the week.

A couple thoughts -

Have you read through the stickies for the LCD group on Sodium and the LCD Launch Pad? The recommended starting point for sodium intake is 5g per day - I hope that's close to the goal you're using. ??

Also, if you're doing keto for BG control, I would suggest not adding any carbs over about 20-30g net carbs/day until you establish that you can get your BG under control. If 20-30g net works for you, you can start raising the carbs slowly. (Note that Dr. Bernstein in Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution recommends only 6g for breakfast, 12g for both lunch and dinner.)

Veganhealth.org has a lot of good tips for folks who don't get their protein from meat.

Good luck!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Haven't had oatmeal in over a year but when I did, I put peanut butter and walnuts in it. @baconslave and @mmultanen sorry if that grosses you out :D
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal. in no form do I enjoy it. Texture is gross, taste is gross, barf-o-rama. But my kids and husband love it. LOVE IT. Would eat it daily. Steel cut, rolled, anything but instant they love it so we have it around but I wouldn't know what to do with it if it jumped out of the cupboard and said "EAT ME!" I'd probably just chuck it in the bin and tell it to quit scaring me.

@mmultanen I'm with you! I though steel cut was actually worse than regular oats for texture.

I never could eat it unless it had lots of sugar, flavoring and nuts added in.
  • varia2u
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

A couple thoughts -

Have you read through the stickies for the LCD group on Sodium and the LCD Launch Pad? The recommended starting point for sodium intake is 5g per day - I hope that's close to the goal you're using. ??

Also, if you're doing keto for BG control, I would suggest not adding any carbs over about 20-30g net carbs/day until you establish that you can get your BG under control. If 20-30g net works for you, you can start raising the carbs slowly. (Note that Dr. Bernstein in Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution recommends only 6g for breakfast, 12g for both lunch and dinner.)

Veganhealth.org has a lot of good tips for folks who don't get their protein from meat.

Good luck!

Not doing keto. That would unsustainable for me. I did read all the stickies. I will have to see when I talk to a nutritionist.
  • RalfLott
    Options

A couple thoughts -

Good luck!

Not doing keto. That would unsustainable for me. I did read all the stickies. I will have to see when I talk to a nutritionist.

YMMV with nutritionists. The ones that get LC are few and far between. :'(
  • varia2u
    Options
    @RalfLott Wow, really? Why, if docs are telling patients to go low carb .
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott Wow, really? Why, if docs are telling patients to go low carb .

Well, there aren't that many docs on board, either. :( I have talked with around 10 dietitians/nutritionists and have found just 1 who really knows her stuff and is supportive of LC.

By analogy, it took 15 years after irrefutable studies were published before physicians incorporated H. Pylori tests and antibiotics into their treatment of ulcers....

Health care pros tend to move at glacial speeds, if they move at all, to embrace new ideas and insights that don't line up with what they learned in school or with what everyone else is doing, and few of them pay much attention to what their patients tell them.

In the case of diabetes, prediabetes, and metabolic syndrome, the American Diabetes Association has for decades dispensed advice almost guaranteed to lead people into lifelong insulin habits. Inertia, fear of liability, and extremely lucrative revenue streams from pharmaceutical and food companies (like its "partner", Coca-Cola :s) are probably to blame.

For a collection of horrible advice to diabetics....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346123/official-diabetes-diet-misinformation-any-candidates-for-the-darwin-awards

• varia2u
    Options
    Well this is an eye opener. I shouldn't be surprised though. I've always thought the powers that be are out to poison us.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Well this is an eye opener. I shouldn't be surprised though. I've always thought the powers that be are out to poison us.

The ADA is definitely not out to find a cure for diabetes.... You can search high and (mostly) low on the ADA's website and IRS 501(c)(3) returns and barely find a mention of the C-word, and even then, it's only in passing. (WTF... :'( )

On a positive note, you might enjoy a good guidebook - for anyone with concerns about blood glucose, Dr. Bernstein's book is fantastic.

But you can also catch dozens of his highly insightful videos on YouTube (search for "Bernstein diabetes university").

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

This is me. It is vile. Makes me gag.

That's funny. I like it fine, only steel cut (texture thing), more in savory preparations than sweet, but mostly I find it pleasant but bland (which is something I sometimes enjoy). I don't crave it (except on rare occasion when I'm sick I want that blandness), don't miss it, prefer eggs most days, but to me it's unremarkable enough that I can't understand people having a strong reaction to it. (It's like when a friend told me she hated celery. Celery? It's just kind of unnoticeable.)

I just think taste things are funny, though -- I really hate cold cereal, all kinds, with milk or without, and even though you'd think I'd consider that boring and unremarkable I have a rather strong negative reaction to it (probably because it was pushed on me as a kid and everyone else seems to love it). Oh, well. ;-)

Anyway, if doing oats with lower carb/high fat macros I'd do a savory preparation (with an egg) or else take advantage of the ability to have nuts in it. For OP, if you feel good despite eating it and aren't hungry soon after, maybe the fiber is sufficient to balance it or it just isn't something you react to, since glucose response seems to vary.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

The ADA is definitely not out to find a cure for diabetes.... You can search high and (mostly) low on the ADA's website and IRS 501(c)(3) returns and barely find a mention of the C-word, and even then, it's only in passing. (WTF... :'( )

On a positive note, you might enjoy a good guidebook - for anyone with concerns about blood glucose, Dr. Bernstein's book is fantastic.

But you can also catch dozens of his highly insightful videos on YouTube (search for "Bernstein diabetes university").

What do you expect from an organization that blatantly calls T2D a chronic and progressive disease? It's like they've never noticed that a year of table pushaways and fork putdowns will fix it 100% of the time. Granted, "stop stuffing your face" doesn't do much to sell synthetic insulin in the long run.
  • RalfLott
    Options

What do you expect from an organization that blatantly calls T2D a chronic and progressive disease? It's like they've never noticed that a year of table pushaways and fork putdowns will fix it 100% of the time. Granted, "stop stuffing your face" doesn't do much to sell synthetic insulin in the long run.

I expect further sophistry and illusion (and that's the extent of my optimism). .

Where the *kitten* are the fancy *kitten* brochures on fasting, fighting carb addiction, avoiding hypos on LC diets, and tight BG control?

We'd be better off if all "charities" had a limited shelf-life and some, any sense of urgency to accomplish their professed purposes before they pumpkin (rather than self-perpetuating and feathering the nests of their overpaid stewards.... ).
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Funny I had oats yesterday with cocoa, full cream milk and cream! I have gone low carb and for the last 3 weeks have been having a fried egg with processed cheese on for breakfast so I classed the oats as a cheat but it was so nice! I think it was about 30 carbs in total and I was craving sugar all day but this may be a monthly thing. The egg seems better for keeping me satiated. If you wanted to be in ketosis I don't think oats are allowed as your carbs need to be under 50 or even 20! So far it seems easier to me to be very low carb as once they start creeping in (even if I ate just a carrot) the sugar craving carb train starts and I obssess about sweet things all day.

It sounds like you are still getting used to low carb if you don't feel right so need more time to adjust. Just my unqualified opinion.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    Funny reading through this. Oatmeal is like crack to me - LOL! Any form, all kinds. I would eat it until my stomach explodes. Plain, cream and sugar, hot, cold, salted, just butter, brown sugar and raisins - you get the idea. I haven't kept in my house for about 6 years because I can't be around it. Super weird, I know. I've even eaten handfuls of it dry & uncooked right out of the container. There, I said it - full confession.

You are not alone. I've eaten it by the dry handful myself. Pleased to meet you. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    Funny reading through this. Oatmeal is like crack to me - LOL! Any form, all kinds. I would eat it until my stomach explodes. Plain, cream and sugar, hot, cold, salted, just butter, brown sugar and raisins - you get the idea. I haven't kept in my house for about 6 years because I can't be around it. Super weird, I know. I've even eaten handfuls of it dry & uncooked right out of the container. There, I said it - full confession.

You are not alone. I've eaten it by the dry handful myself. Pleased to meet you. :)

I lived on those little instant oatmeal pouches as a kid. Maple sugar or peaches and cream? I ate them dry too.

OP, I am lchf for BG reasons too. I won't touch oatmeal because I assume it will raise my BG. My morning numbers tend to be higher than I would like anyways so adding carbs to that does it help. KWIM?

Are you testing BG? I am curious how oatmeal is affecting you.