Of fasting, disordered eating, and confusion

Options
sisterlilbunny
sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
I'll try to stay away from triggers but just in case, there might be some in here.

Long history short, I have a history with all three of the big disorders (like age 11 start). LC/Keto has finally given me a freedom I haven't felt for a really REALLY long time. Yes it took (hell I still work on it) the brain a bit to switch over to fat being okay but still, I don't feel desperate if that makes sense? I normally average 1500 cal a day and have about 50lbs to go.

I am curious about the fasting to find your hunger idea. We were supposed to being having a big social dinner tonight so I over fed a bit yesterday (around 2000 total so not a ton). That isn't happening but I figured meh, I'll try this fasting thing for the day. Well my brain is going ape chit over here now. The whole what if's you know? What if this drops me back into the binge mode, what if this messes me up again, what if I blew it yesterday by over feeding. Logic doesn't work here as you can tell.

Obviously fasting while starving and fasting to offset a binge are totally different paths. I want to listen and learn from my body but I am just scared I'm conning myself you know? Any logic/reading/listening info you guys can provide would be awesome at this point.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How long have you been LC/Keto? Fasting shouldn't be stressful, so I'd say you probably could stand to ease in to it a bit before going for a 24h session.
    What was the overeating the day before a planned dinner based on? Were you thinking you'd skip breakfast and lunch to create more of a calorie budget for the social event?
    I'd probably try the "daily shortened eating" window version of IF to start ... skip breakfast and push lunch a little later. Still hit your planned calories and macros for the day, just in a shorter period of time.

Also you don't necessarily even have to do any form of fasting. There are many potential benefits, and many people find IF dovetails nicely with LCHF, but it's not required.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I just bumped a carb addiction thread featuring Jackie Eberstein - a must watch if this is one of your demons!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't push fasting if it is stressful for you. It isn't needed to find your hunger. It sounds like you are already doing well at a low-ish caloric deficit. If you are hungry, you should eat. If it is just very stressful, you can eat. If you are worried about too many calories, just have an egg or two, or veggies with some dip or dressing.

IF sounds like a better place to start if you want to use fating. Stop eating after dinner or skip breakfast when not hungry with the option of an early lunch.

I did not fall into fasting at all until I had been LCHF for at least 6 months. I dropped most breakfasts after a year LCHF.

I lost all of my weight without fasting. It doesn't work well for everyone, and even those who do it have not always used it or will continue to use it forever. KWIM?
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    Thank you guys for putting up with my crazy, it's really appreciated!

The over feeding idea was to not have to worry about eating during the day so I could enjoy a nice full dinner of steak and shrimp. With butter. Mmm...butter.

But I think y'all are right (duh). Just back off on this stuff now and just plan better for those days where I know I'm going out for a social dinner or what not. And when I say plan I mean look for things that fit my macros not necessarily calories since let's face it, steak and shrimp. ;)

Again, thank you for talking me down over here. I did get a lot of the weird flippy anxiety out by grocery shopping for good foods (as in yummy not as in "good"). I am gonna go read the articles in the other thread now. *HUGS*
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, fasting has to occur naturally. I can't use it as a punishment, a management tool, or anything like that.

They way I figure it, forcing myself to NOT EAT when I'm hungry is as disordered FOR ME as eating when I'm not hungry, etc. It is a tool some can use.

But remember, when you're eating at a deficit already, going back up to maintenance calories for a single day will not undo any progress. It can't possibly. One meal was not what got you to where you are today.

There is a lot of research popping up now, too, for those of us who suffer these disorders/cravings/addictions/etc. It shows that our gut is compromised (the "trigger" could be childhood stress, anxiety, antibiotics, illness, poor diet, underlying health conditions, or any number of a million things) for WHATEVER REASON. Once the gut is compromised, our body can no longer make or convert the neurotransmitters we need to moderate mood, stress, cravings, addictions, etc. Let me repeat that.

ONCE THE GUT IS COMPROMISED, OUR BODY CAN NO LONGER MAKE OR CONVERT THE NEUROTRANSMITTERS WE NEED TO MODERATE MOOD, STRESS, CRAVINGS, ADDICTIONS, ETC.

Sure, some people's bodies can adapt to that, but for some of us, the genetic code is missing, or our life situation prevents us from being ably to remedy the gaps. And when this goes on for a time, it compounds things. We may be able to get by "feeling okay" part of the time when we stuff our faces full of all the "feel good carbs" because the sheer volume can somewhat get by with the compromise conversion.

But the theory is that using certain amino acid therapies, we can actually repair and overcome these tendencies.

http://carbsyndrome.com/is-your-brain-two-quarts-low/ << This is the article that actually got me started...

But this one absolutely blew my mind! A quote that was on FB, "GABA for stress-eating, DPA for comfort-I deserve-it cravings, tryptophan for eating for happiness, tyrosine for energy and focus and glutamine for intense cravings due to low blood sugar." There's no direct article, but this covers most of everything!
    https://www.everywomanover29.com/blog/amino-acids-pyroluria-supplements/

I hope something in this helps.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Oh, and another thing I like to remind myself of, "Nutrition trumps calories and carbs EVERY SINGLE TIME."

@sisterlilbunny

Not getting enough nutrients in your dietary intake creates levels of hunger that don't really ever get sated until we consume those nutrients. So, rather than punish yourself for some observed "crime," realize that it was a less than stellar choice, banish ALL guilt, and simply move on to the next bite.

Punishing yourself only fuels that disordered eating/thinking cycle. Restricting today sets you up for nearly automatic failure later. Period. Why risk it?

Oh, and the thing I have to especially remind myself when I'm getting all irrational is that "this type of restriction/exclusion/punishment has NEVER EVER EVER worked for you before. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting a different result. Therefore, it is an insane choice to think that suddenly this so-called tool would magically work for you when it never has, despite repeated use in multiple contextual situations, etc. Accept that until something changes in your physical and chemical make up, this tool is not one that works for you. It's hard, and it means your'e not some misguided concept of normal, but it is you...so accept this, and just move on, because, KNIT, the 'this time' arguments are just a distraction and rationalization, and you're better than that."
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I think with your history I might not rush into fasting. I've been LCHF for almost 2 years and so far I've never had a full fast day. Most mornings I skip food and just have coffee with cream for breakfast, not a true fast I know, but I do that because I'm not hungry first thing in the morning. I usually eat lunch at 2 or 3. Sometimes I'm not hungry and I just skip it. I only do that when it feels natural. If I'm hungry I eat. I think I've gotten to know my hunger cues fine without adding in the fasting. LCHF is more satiating for me so I stay full longer. Also due to hormones, my activity levels, etc. I have super hungry days and barely hungry days. I go with the flow.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Any updates @sisterlilbunny ?
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    LOL well eating wise I'm doing well. Getting into a "routine" helps and makes it easier to deal with the larger meals with family that comes up.

However met with the cardiologist due to my insane cholesterol so the stress is in another place right now. ;) Luckily, he's all for the lifestyle changes I've made and is behind the keto WOE as long as I aim for MUFA/PUFA and back off on the saturated. He's putting me on a statin and we're both hoping I fail on it so I can qualify for the PCSK9 inhibitors which don't mess with blood sugars and my other meds so much. Needless to say my epic salad this noon was um, well deserved. ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    LOL well eating wise I'm doing well. Getting into a "routine" helps and makes it easier to deal with the larger meals with family that comes up.

However met with the cardiologist due to my insane cholesterol so the stress is in another place right now. ;) Luckily, he's all for the lifestyle changes I've made and is behind the keto WOE as long as I aim for MUFA/PUFA and back off on the saturated. He's putting me on a statin and we're both hoping I fail on it so I can qualify for the PCSK9 inhibitors which don't mess with blood sugars and my other meds so much. Needless to say my epic salad this noon was um, well deserved. ;)

Oh, boy. Everyone's different, of course, but the research favoring healthy saturated fats over PUFAs has been pretty strong lately.....
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    LOL @RalfLott this is one of those things where I just have to do what feels right for my body huh? Can't win for losing LOL.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    LOL @RalfLott this is one of those things where I just have to do what feels right for my body huh? Can't win for losing LOL.

I'm imagining St. Peter saying something like, "By the way, the longevity foods for your genetic profile would have been ice cream, escargots, and Manishevitz ."
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    For me, fasting has to occur naturally. I can't use it as a punishment, a management tool, or anything like that.

They way I figure it, forcing myself to NOT EAT when I'm hungry is as disordered FOR ME as eating when I'm not hungry, etc. It is a tool some can use.

But remember, when you're eating at a deficit already, going back up to maintenance calories for a single day will not undo any progress. It can't possibly. One meal was not what got you to where you are today.

There is a lot of research popping up now, too, for those of us who suffer these disorders/cravings/addictions/etc. It shows that our gut is compromised (the "trigger" could be childhood stress, anxiety, antibiotics, illness, poor diet, underlying health conditions, or any number of a million things) for WHATEVER REASON. Once the gut is compromised, our body can no longer make or convert the neurotransmitters we need to moderate mood, stress, cravings, addictions, etc. Let me repeat that.

ONCE THE GUT IS COMPROMISED, OUR BODY CAN NO LONGER MAKE OR CONVERT THE NEUROTRANSMITTERS WE NEED TO MODERATE MOOD, STRESS, CRAVINGS, ADDICTIONS, ETC.

Sure, some people's bodies can adapt to that, but for some of us, the genetic code is missing, or our life situation prevents us from being ably to remedy the gaps. And when this goes on for a time, it compounds things. We may be able to get by "feeling okay" part of the time when we stuff our faces full of all the "feel good carbs" because the sheer volume can somewhat get by with the compromise conversion.

But the theory is that using certain amino acid therapies, we can actually repair and overcome these tendencies.

http://carbsyndrome.com/is-your-brain-two-quarts-low/ << This is the article that actually got me started...

But this one absolutely blew my mind! A quote that was on FB, "GABA for stress-eating, DPA for comfort-I deserve-it cravings, tryptophan for eating for happiness, tyrosine for energy and focus and glutamine for intense cravings due to low blood sugar." There's no direct article, but this covers most of everything!
    https://www.everywomanover29.com/blog/amino-acids-pyroluria-supplements/

I hope something in this helps.

Fasting works for me cause I'm usually hungry. LC does help with the hunger though but I find fasting easier than going extremely low carb all the time. Fasting is zero carbs actually so I'm zero carb for a good part of the day and medium for the end.