How do you get your protein in and how much per day?

Options
2»

Replies

• ppmintpatty
    ppmintpatty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree Miss Hattie. Premier protein can be pretty expensive by the 4 pack in the grocery store. But if you buy them by the case at Costco, Sam's Club, or BJ's, they are much less expensive. On sale they work out to be about $1 each, which is not much at all for an entire meal. My favorite is to mix half vanilla and half chocolate. Tastes more like regular chocolate milk to me.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am about 7 months out and I still drink 1 premier protein shake per day. I buy them at Costco so they aren't too expensive. A lot of times I heat half shake and add decaf coffee. My favorite morning treat.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was told to aim for 64 grams.
    I have a Greek yogurt for breakfast with a scoop of genepro protein powder mixed in. Then I'll have a premier shake in the afternoon or I'll mix some chocolate whey protein powder in with a cup of unsweetened almond milk. I have protein with lunch and/or dinner too- either salmon or tuna fish, cottage cheese or a little low fat cheese.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    In my material from my nutritionist, we were told that our body can only absorb 20 grams of protein at a time. So don't bother eating more than 20 grams at a time but instead eat some protein every three hours throughout the day. Aim for 70 grams a day. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

Yes, I've been told the 20 gms information, too. My DR is very different in that he's a vegan and urges plant based proteins and real food. I still over-rely on dairy and powders, but I can't get all the protein with beans & plants. I aim for 50 grams of protein per day.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    About the protein absorption rate...here are articles showing the 30 grams per meal is incorrect:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-truth-about-protein-absorption-how-often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/how-much-protein-can-the-body-absorb?page=1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3595342/

BASICALLY, the 20 - 30g limit is that for muscle repair. The body needs protein for A LOT MORE than just muscle repair. The body breaks proteins down into amino acids. The body can store amino acids for later use. If the body needs energy, it can turn protein into energy stores. The last article from the National Institute of Health shows current research shows there is NO upper limit to what the body can process/absorb in one sitting.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    At three years out, I'm fortunate to have cooking class once a month. The dietician gives us updated information. The information on bariatric eating has changed and evolved over the years.
    You may have this information already, I Just found out FDA food labels on the back of products are changed. Manufacturers had a year to put them in effect.https://fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

First few months you will work your way into hitting your protein goals. It gets easier with time. 60g to 100g was my instruction.

I suggest following your medical professional's advice. Tell then of any changes that may need to be addressed. Your blood labs are important. They will reveal that you're getting what you need. The goal is healthy, not malnourished.

I have definitely raised my macro goals. I stay satisfied longer. It supports my physical activity level. I lift weights and distance run.

• Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the prep stages and found this post, thought I would share my two cents - our dietician has us aiming for 70-90 g of protein for pre and post op. I'm at my liquid prep phase (surgery is on May 31st so I'm super close) and currently, I'm using a completely vegan protein powder called Vega Sport that has 30g of protein - I drink one for breakfast, lunch, snack, and have a regular (closely portioned) dinner. Most everyone I've talked to keeps the shakes in their menu as a good source of liquid protein that gives you a good boost when it's hard to reach your goals otherwise. I agree with Fit_chickx, though - Check with your Medical professional, tell them what you're experiencing, and show them what you're doing (either by giving them access to your MFP feed or by printing off your macro report) and see what they say - They can help you find ways to get in what you need while not adding unnecessary fillers.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I found a good way to get a protein lunch in for me is to mix a small packet of tuna or salmon in with cottage cheese. They both are a good source of protein, plus the cottage cheese helps to not make the tuna or salmon too dry to eat.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @loriloftness - good idea.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is 95g. I eat cottage cheese, shaved deli ham, shaved deli turkey, or tuna taken from the pouch and mixed with fat free mayo and diced celery for breakfast and lunch taken to work. Dinner: meat or fish with vegetables. Oikos 0-0-0 yogurt if I feel like a snack, but I honestly am never hungry so I judge by the protein goal whether I need more fuel.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    In my material from my nutritionist, we were told that our body can only absorb 20 grams of protein at a time. So don't bother eating more than 20 grams at a time but instead eat some protein every three hours throughout the day. Aim for 70 grams a day. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

My program also says 20 grams per meal but only in the initial phases. Plus, men and women have different requirements.