Garmin Swim data!

Options
AquaticQuests
AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
So yesterday was my very first with the new Garmin Swim :smile:

Having it on inspired me to keep going - the thought that it was tracking away, and I wanted to get some good stats for my first official garmin tracked swim :smiley:
So since it is the first swim, I've taken a screen shot of my summary and note some general observations:

- Overall time for the distance (about 2.5 m) was 52:13. Happy with this as it's only a minute and a half away from my personal best
-
- Average pace over the 52 min was 2:03/100m (or 1:52 per 100 yards).
-
- Average number of strokes taken over the 33m length is 36 ish (18 x 2)
-
- The strokes per minute figure (up to 60) is definitely wrong and much lower than actual even when doubled, as I swim to a set SPM (67.5) playing in my MP3 player. Wondered about this but it turns out that the garmins tend to under report SPM due to push off the wall distance and other stuff (http://www.swimsmoothforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2804).

All in all, it's great to have another set of metrics to glance at now and then and try and figure out what to work on. I tend to be an analytical sort, so this works well for me!

My goal remains to bring down the strokes per length as well as my SWOLF, while maintaining the stroke rate!

Over 2,700 (1,351 x 2) strokes in a swim! Phew!

Swimming does work those arms!

:smile:
jjggo1k2lo23.jpg

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Boy, you're really makin' me feel like a total slowpoke... :)

How do you like this tracking method? I have a Garmin watch and I use it for my swims, but frankly I'm not really an experienced enough swimmer to know if what I am tracking is even meaningful.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Very cool!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Great pace for that distance; I'm envious as well and trying to work up (or is it down) to 2 minutes per 100y. I love my Garmin Swim and enjoy seeing the accumulated weekly distance at the bottom of the display when I'm doing other things, like being stuck at work :)

I think the metrics are definitely useful when tracking over time. One category that the Garmin Connect app lacks is personal records for various standard swimming distances. If you want to automatically track those, you will have to create a Swim.com account and link your Garmin Connect to it. I prefer the granular display of info in the Swim.com app. The mobile versions are relatively useless but the browser version is nice, if a bit clunky in its interface. I think their online help is pretty good. If you swim at different pools, it can track your stats at them separately even if they are different lengths.
    Swim.com stats screen:
    Screen%20Shot%202015-12-17%20at%209.51.50%20AM_zpsco3ir32v.png

And of course if you haven't already, you can link Garmin Connect to MFP and be surprised by the optimistic calorie burn it gives you.

Have fun!
  • christindmedill
    christindmedill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I swim 6-7 days per week with my Garmin active. Looking for some buddies to help motivate me to push harder when I swim.
    I found out I have 2 herniated disks in my back and the doc said I need surgery. I said no way because I am too young. So I took up swimming to help recover. Since Nov 1st, I can count on one hand how many days I have missed swimming.
    So, if you want a buddy who checks her my fitness pal every day all day, and swims every day, I am your gal! Add me! :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to connect to me on Garmin, I'm NoelFigart. My swims are less than impressive. But they do happen, so...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Almost pulled the trigger on a Garmin Swim but the negative reviews turned me off. Too many negative reviews as well.
    The one complaint that is common to all the swim trackers, regardless the brand, is inaccurate lap counting. I imagine this is a bigger issue for those with more efficient strokes as the glide after push off would be about the same as the glide between strokes.
    So far I'm sticking with my simple finger ring style digital lap counter.
  • nuffer
    Options
    I'm about 18 months in with my Garmin Swim watch. I have verified its accuracy numerous times. The only time it miscounts laps is if I stop in the middle of a lap due to cramps or avoiding another swimmer. Changing strokes mid-lap will sometimes make it miscount but usually it will name the stroke as "mixed" for that set. I can count on one hand the number of times this has happened in hundreds of swims. Highly recommended for those wanting to turn their brains to other things besides counting.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    The only time it miscounts laps is if I stop ..... avoiding another swimmer.
    Definitely couldn't use that in China :D
    Even in the one roped lane, a lot of slow breast stroke swimmers don't know the meaning of 'fast lane.'
    I still like my cheap digital counter. It doesn't miss my kick board laps. :D
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Damn. My predisposition for developing degenerative osteoarthritis, combined with the inflammation from eczema on my right hand it causing some joint inflammation in my lap counter thumb.
    Hopefully this passes soon. But I may eventually have to get a wrist based swim tracker :D
  • nuffer
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Damn. My predisposition for developing degenerative osteoarthritis, combined with the inflammation from eczema on my right hand it causing some joint inflammation in my lap counter thumb.
    Hopefully this passes soon. But I may eventually have to get a wrist based swim tracker :D

Sorry to hear that @fishgutzy -- that's not a good reason to change things.

If you already wear a watch, the Garmin Swim is pretty good for everyday wear if you're not a fashionista. There are other watches that do well as counters that probably look a bit nicer, like the Pebble. I couldn't get the Pebble data to sync consistently with swim.com -- perhaps they've fixed that. But if all you care about is a lap counter, that may be a good option.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR. When I look at my statistics after I swim.......my heart rate data is empty. When I swim, it doesn't seem to record my heart rate. Does anyone else have this issue?
  • nuffer
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR. When I look at my statistics after I swim.......my heart rate data is empty. When I swim, it doesn't seem to record my heart rate. Does anyone else have this issue?

According to this review, Garmin turns off (or down) the HR function while swimming.
  • fishgutzy
    Options

If you already wear a watch, the Garmin Swim is pretty good for everyday wear if you're not a fashionista. There are other watches that do well as counters that probably look a bit nicer, like the Pebble. I couldn't get the Pebble data to sync consistently with swim.com -- perhaps they've fixed that. But if all you care about is a lap counter, that may be a good option.

I don't wear a watch at all. Had to stop due to eczema. The constant pressure in the skin became a problem.
    But I can wear one intermittently for activity.
  • nuffer
    Options

I don't wear a watch at all. Had to stop due to eczema. The constant pressure in the skin became a problem.
    But I can wear one intermittently for activity.

The Garmin Swim may be a good match, then. It turns off its display if it doesn't detect movement, greatly extending battery life. So when it's sitting in your swim bag waiting for your next session, it's not using much juice. With everyday wear, I get about six months before having to change the batt.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin swim for the daily swims too!
    Works well for me.
    Lap counting is accurate unless you stop mid length or run into folks swimming width wise, as was said above already by nuffer!
    Only problem is I've misplaced the thing that connects to the computer, so I can't use all the nifty graphs for the time being, but I can track essentials on watch!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I got one for Christmas but have since returned it. I couldn't get a reliable stroke count after trying various push off techniques and could not get synced to the web site. >:)
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I got one for Christmas but have since returned it. I couldn't get a reliable stroke count after trying various push off techniques and could not get synced to the web site. >:)

That is the most common complaint among the "1" ratings on Amazon.
    I've thought about the Vivoactive HR but I just can't justify it when I get the information I use from a digital click counter.
  • nuffer
    Options

I've thought about the Vivoactive HR but I just can't justify it when I get the information I use from a digital click counter.

Sounds like there may be some that didn't get assembled correctly or properly calibrated or maybe some a glitchy accelerometer. Mine's still going strong!
  • fishgutzy
    Options

Sounds like there may be some that didn't get assembled correctly or properly calibrated or maybe some a glitchy accelerometer. Mine's still going strong!

My biggest obstacle is price and the fact that I don't see how a $450 gadget will change how I swim. The less expensive units don't have the functionality, or display size I need to be able to see without my glasses.
    I was tempted to use something like my wife's PSO2 finger device but I can't read that without my glasses either.
    The Forerunner 735 is pretty good sized. looks easy to read. But I'm just not convinced that the information it gathers is of any real value to me. Maybe I'm just too old school. The only reason I bought a kindle is because books are heavy to travel with.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    can I use my vivoactive hr to track swim sppeds.? I've been doing step challanges but it's too hot time to get back into the pool (water temp 55)