Misconception of LCHF: Post for Weight Loss

JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Ok...I have read enough of these posts & articles to chime in. A LCHF or Keto diet for those looking to loss weight (many do this WOE for other reasons - I am talking to those who are trying to lose weight) the goal of this WOE is to eat less, not find a way to eat more! Period.

I see so many articles promoting LCHF as a diet where you don't have to count calories - for weight loss - this is WRONG!

Whether you are LCHF, Keto, Paleo, Low Fat, Mediterranean, Grapefruit Diet...etc. the math still applies, less calories in, more weight off. I chose LCHF because I did not want to eat rice cakes and be miserable on my calorie deficit WOE. Bacon, Eggs, Meat, full fat dressings, butter etc.. that is something I could live with and lose weight!

It's finding a diet that you can stick to long term that counts. So, the goal is to find the combination of LCHF foods that keeps you full enough, long enough, that over the course of a day, week, month - your total calories in is less than burned and you lose weight.

I was like so many at the start, obsessed with how much food I could eat, what recipes could I find to make and make a lot of, added extra fat to everything (hey the more is better right - nope).

Bottom line: LCHF is a WOE that you can turn your body from a Sugar/Carb Burner to a Fat Burner. Fat burning of your own fat will come from energy needed but there is not enough consumed fat to burn so the body taps the reserves. But if you don't watch your calories and add extra fat for the sake of the diet, you just consumed more fat calories for your body to burn first - before it gets to the reserved fat we all carry and try to get rid of.

The best of part of a well managed LCHF and/or Keto diet is that done right (this is different for everyone - this means finding the combination of food that fits your macros) you will feel full for a long period of time and not have the desire to eat as much (or at all). Thus reducing your overall calories!

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    I agree with you both. I think the OP is coming from a good place, wanting to get information out there but yes YMMV all the way with this WOE (and any woe really)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I'll concur with the part about finding a "macro allocation" that satiates me and therefore minimizes over eating. I'll also agree that calories matter especially when one is trying to find what satiates them.

I had HUGE problems with hunger after weight loss (non keto approach) and increasing fat and lowering carbs helped dramatically with that for me. Adhering to calories became easier via suddenly being satiated.

So, I guess I'm agreeing with the general concept of the original post.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'll concur with the part about finding a "macro allocation" that satiates me and therefore minimizes over eating. I'll also agree that calories matter especially when one is trying to find what satiates them.

I had HUGE problems with hunger after weight loss (non keto approach) and increasing fat and lowering carbs helped dramatically with that for me. Adhering to calories became easier via suddenly being satiated.

So, I guess I'm agreeing with the general concept of the original post.

I agree with your agree! Happy Friday!
  • mtague7733
    mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
    Um, what the he'll is a WOE??
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    mtague7733 wrote: »

Way Of Eating.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Ok...I have read enough of these posts & articles to chime in. A LCHF or Keto diet for those looking to loss weight (many do this WOE for other reasons - I am talking to those who are trying to lose weight) the goal of this WOE is to eat less, not find a way to eat more! Period.

I see so many articles promoting LCHF as a diet where you don't have to count calories - for weight loss - this is WRONG!

Whether you are LCHF, Keto, Paleo, Low Fat, Mediterranean, Grapefruit Diet...etc. the math still applies, less calories in, more weight off. I chose LCHF because I did not want to eat rice cakes and be miserable on my calorie deficit WOE. Bacon, Eggs, Meat, full fat dressings, butter etc.. that is something I could live with and lose weight!

It's finding a diet that you can stick to long term that counts. So, the goal is to find the combination of LCHF foods that keeps you full enough, long enough, that over the course of a day, week, month - your total calories in is less than burned and you lose weight.

I was like so many at the start, obsessed with how much food I could eat, what recipes could I find to make and make a lot of, added extra fat to everything (hey the more is better right - nope).

Bottom line: LCHF is a WOE that you can turn your body from a Sugar/Carb Burner to a Fat Burner. Fat burning of your own fat will come from energy needed but there is not enough consumed fat to burn so the body taps the reserves. But if you don't watch your calories and add extra fat for the sake of the diet, you just consumed more fat calories for your body to burn first - before it gets to the reserved fat we all carry and try to get rid of.

The best of part of a well managed LCHF and/or Keto diet is that done right (this is different for everyone - this means finding the combination of food that fits your macros) you will feel full for a long period of time and not have the desire to eat as much (or at all). Thus reducing your overall calories!

@JohnnyLowCarb hang in there. LCHF in my case quickly addressed my physical/emotional need to count anything. Give LCHF timr to fix your underlying need to count anything. Keep in mind only you will know when you are no longer broken. One day you will realize your brain and hormones have healed and normal intuitive eating is freeing up your time for matters really requiring your conscious brain.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I did a low carb WOE before without counting calories (Dukan, so it was low carb, low fat, high protein) and it worked great for me.
    On keto/LCHF I've counted but based on my previous experience, I get how just following general guidelines instead can work for some people. Definitely takes some experimenting though.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    mtague7733 wrote: »

Take a look at this thread: And all the other different sources of information in the Launch Pad, will help you too...
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Im counting calories at the moment because I'm quite new to this WOE. My question is I really don't feel hungry and some days finding hard to eat the 1200 calories which I already a deficit from my TDEE (1780). I'm doing IF too. Energy, mental clarity, sleep, have all improved. So my question sorry to highjack this post, is it fine to be under your minimum?
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    @bluets2011 I'm experiencing similar, also curious about this!
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    @LizinLowell mind you I'm not complaining ;-). Having been an emotional and binge eater for all my adult life, this new experience of seeing food in front of me and having no desire of stuffing my face is making me happy. Just want to know if it's an issue.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    9913ob54nc31.jpg

Oops wrong crowd B)

82ivputbeuo9.png

>:) or o:)
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    OK thanks from me also for all the answers about not meeting calorie goals. Very helpful. for myself, I'm mostly meeting protein and I'm always right on for where I want my carbs so I'm not going to worry about being too low on calories as long as I feel nourished. I'm ever vigilant/nervous about eating disorder behavior as I know how easy it is to fall down that rabbit hole and I don't want to fool myself everything is fine if I'm actually veering sideways.