***WORK IT OUT*** - Summer 2017 - Weeks 1 & 2 Discussion

SmithsonianEmpress
SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
What are you doing to get your heart pumping, your blood boiling, and your pulse racing???

The next two weeks we will be discussing our workouts. Please share what you are currently doing for exercise, what you used to do for exercise and/or what you plan to do for exercise. Feel free to elaborate and let us know what you like, don't like, didn’t like and/or look forward to doing. Let us know what is working for you or what has worked for you. Some of us may have an interest in what others are doing so let’s be open and honest. Even if you are not following a program but you are walking around your neighborhood or playing with your grandchildren or hiking with friends or rock climbing…cardio is cardio is cardio and strength training is strength training.

So if you are recomping , bulking, cutting, lifting light, lifting heavy, prepping for a competition, prepping for a marathon, working on your postpartum needs, redoing your garden, cycling, spin class, zumba, walking in place, cleaning your attic or basement...SHARE SHARE SHARE!!!

Please feel free to return to this discussion to give insight or gain insight about your and others’ workouts.

CHEERS!

Replies

• spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    So far, my consistent workouts are: TRX (1x week), Zumba (1x week) and elliptical (1-2x a week). I also aim to walk on breaks and lunch and such.

My Zumba instructor has been off the last couple weeks because of an injury, but I looked at the Y schedule and she looks to be back for tomorrow's class. I'm so excited!! I'm missing TRX this week because I have a volunteer meeting so I'm going to aim to get to the gym a little more this week and get back to my yoga into my routine.

I struggle with strength training and prefer to do stuff without weights that I can do on my own at home or traveling if needed. I feel like that's where I have the hardest time being consistent because I do feel like that's when the weight moved last time I was in better shape. Finding a routine is hard. Blah. So i'm gonna start writing it out more so I see it when I log my workouts in my journal.

In the past I did cardio kickboxing which I did 3-4x a week. That's when I dropped weight and I didn't even notice. I was in the best shape even though I didn't think I was. We did like 45 minutes of cardio and then did weights/push ups/sit ups, etc. the rest of the 15 minutes which was great. So I had a good balance of both cardio and strength training which is why I'm trying to get a balance again.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    I set weekly goals for myself. This week it is:
    Hiking once
    C25k twice (I know it should be three times..)
    Biking four times
    Fitness Blender twice
    Lifting light twice
    Yoga twice
    And a squat and plank challenge I made for myself five times
    Once my routine changes at the beginning of July I'm hoping to get back to a fitness class I enjoy.
    @SmithsonianEmpress you just reminded me about 30 Day Shred. I enjoyed it when I did it a few years ago, so I might have to try that again!
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    I don't have a lot of extra time to spend working out so I have committed to a couch to 5K training routine. I run Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday for around 35 minutes total of run/walk intervals, on the other days I do a 20 minute HIIT workout using my Fitstar app and I try to hit 10,000 steps a day. I take 1 day a week as a rest day but I still try to get up to 10,000 steps that day.

The key is just adjusting my calorie intake to my calorie burn. If I didn't work out hard that day I don't get to eat as many snacks. Lol
  • trinitymwilson
    trinitymwilson Posts: 108 Member
    Right now I'm doing jamie Eason' Live Fit Trainer which is a 12 week bulking/ cutting fitness program. I am in need of cardio workouts that are quiet enough and free! to do while my 10 month old daughter naps so any suggestions will be great!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I recently just finished up an 8 month bulk, so I am cutting/leaning for the summer.

I am doing a program called Get Glutes...it is a 4 day strength program (similar to Strong Curves), it is very lower body/booty focused, a great combination of mostly hypertrophy, strength and conditioning. I also do yoga at a home studio once a week, and cardio right now is once a week (uch, I know I really need to increase it..). I lift in my home gym when my baby naps, and if my 3.5 year old daughter is home I put on a video, set up an activity or she sometimes watches me and gets active too.

Finding a strength training program that I enjoy, fits with my goals and I can modify for my home gym is important and has worked well for me.. I lift when I'm losing, maintaining, gaining and even lifted while I was pregnant. I am so happy with the results - strength, physique and confidence it has given me.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    For the next two weeks I will be doing the usual Monday to Friday school walks, which is about 2 hours a day in total, and either 45 mins on the stationary bike or elliptical. Saturday and Sunday it's usually a 60 min walk and the bike. When my daughter finishes school for the summer I will need to plan a new routine, as the weight has dropped, my walking has kept me fairly toned and I don't have too much loose skin, saggy parts, but I think it's time to get out of the mindset of lifting is for men and muscle and look at doing a simple routine to help firm up even more.
  • krishnahari84
    krishnahari84 Posts: 61 Member
    I joined gym a week ago. But I plan to go and attend their 4 group classes in the next week and also do week one and two of C25K.
  • debisjazz
    debisjazz Posts: 115 Member
    I am just starting my exercise program.
    Day one of Couch to 5K yesterday...I love running, used to do it alot and I'm excited to get back into it.
    I will also be working out at home, no equipment, and I want to find YouTube videos to follow until I find something I love. Starting this tonight with my 12 year old daughter. Very excited for this as well. :smile:
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    I lift 3 days a week with my trainer, HIIT once a week, jogging and/or walking another 1 to 2 times (depending on how my knees are feeling). For lifting, we rotate between Tri's and Bi's, leg day, back/shoulders, Chest/push pull with some core added in at the end. My focus for this summer is push ups. I am TERRIBLE at push ups.
  • jurapak9960
    jurapak9960 Posts: 32 Member
    I sign up for running races all summer so I stay motivated to train for them! This weekend is a 10k so my training consists of 2, 4 mile runs and 2-3, 2.5 mile runs throughout the week! The organized runs are always a healthy and fairly inexpensive activity that makes you feel pumped to workout! Training properly and listening to what my body needs (balancing nutrition and activity) has helped me succeed in my progress with weight loss.
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    I've been working out regularly since the last week in March. Before that, it had been years since I'd been to a gym or did any kind of actual exercise. I have a trainer and he changes up the workouts every day, but generally we will do a cardio warmup followed by strength training with cardio intervals in between sets. Each strength set has an arm, core, and leg exercise. I'm really enjoying it, since everything changes I don't get bored and the routine makes it easy to see improvements in both weight lifted and cardio.

I'd really like to start C25K but since my gym time is with a trainer I'd have to start doing 2 a days, which is hard with my schedule (and also seems crazy for me). I'd also like to find something to do on the weekends, my trainer only does sessions Saturdays at 8AM which can be a challenge some weekends. We're moving to a bigger apartment at the end of the month so I'm hoping I'll have enough room in the living room to do some videos.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    I'm just getting back into a routine and have found that HASfit's beginner program is working well for me at the moment. I also do Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Your Healthy Back twice a week. Before I started with lower back/knee problems, I loved doing T25, PiYo, and running. The hardest part for me to deal with is that my body simply can't handle the types of workouts I was doing and loved so much. It killed my knees and back. I'm slowly finding what works for me now and am hopefully on the road to being healthy and fit again.
  • dbackgrammy
    dbackgrammy Posts: 229 Member
    My exercise plan is pretty boring compared to most of you. I am doing a 5K Summer Series (5, 5K races over the summer in AZ) with my granddaughter (8 yrs old) which I walk more than I run. I am not a runner, but love to walk everywhere. We jog a little and walk a lot right now, so I am doing 3 to 5 miles each day. Being in AZ requires a good portion to be on a treadmill as it is 90 degrees once the sun comes out these days. So while at the gym for treadmill work, I am also doing strength training by working with Trinity @trinitymwilson doing the Jamie Eason Live Fit Trainer. This program is giving me direction for doing strength training which I need. I work out usually at least 6 days a week. I completed the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred with Jessica @SmithsonianEmpress last month. It was great for strength building, but I can honestly say, not a fan of Level 2 or PLANKS!! My workout goal for the summer is to increase my speed for the 5K races and luckily doing it with an 8 yr old, she keeps me motivated to move faster, usually because she wants to beat her mommy (my daughter) to the finish line..
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    My current workouts: I work full time and have 3 kids and have always struggled to make myself and my fitness a priority. I'm learning (slowly) how to change that. During my work day, I take 1-2 7 minute walks down the street and back to get away from my desk. I've also started finding little moments during my day to get something in. I work in a small office with little privacy so when I use the restroom I'll do a 60 second wall sit and 10 wall pushups or 50 squats and some lunges, etc. before I go back to my desk. In the morning I'm trying to do some cardio (bike, walk, jog, whatever) and at night I do a kettlebell workout to try to gain some arm strength. I also have a workout sheet I made inspired by a combo of Pinterest posts that I work through at night when we (husband and kiddos) are just relaxing for the night which includes things like - 30 second plank, bridges, Russian twists, etc. Basically body weight exercises for total body. As you can see I mix it up a lot! lol

My past workouts: Pilates, Yoga, Wii Fit, jogging, etc.

My future workouts: Right now I'm just focusing on being more active. I'm looking into doing a C25K program and doing that as my morning cardio routine. Also, going on more family hikes. When I'm not at work, I'm always with my kids (10,4 and 1) so I need to find things I can do with them around me. I definitely lose more weight in the the months I make exercise a priority so that's my goal.

I'm excited to be a part of this group and see what everyone else does. And if you have any tips or advice for me I'd love to hear it! :smiley:
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Workout plan 6/5 - 6/9

Monday: run/walk/jog intervals on treadmill - 5 minute warm up starting at 2.5 mph and moving up .5 each minute. Run at 6 mph for 3 minutes, walk 2 minute, run at 6.5 for 1 minute, walk 2 minutes, etc...until I can't make the full minute which today was 8.3 mph for 41 seconds. Then walked a couple minutes then a 5 minute run at 5.7 mph. Cool down is the reverse of the warm up. Planning on some weighted hula hoop and biceps and triceps tonight.

Tuesday: workout DVD either kick boxing or bootcamp, weights for chest, back, and shoulders

Wednesday: Hump Day workout! 3, 10 minute AMRAPS focusing on legs, butt, and abs. Will be posting it here on Tuesday night.

Thursday: 45 minute walk on treadmill (probably about 3.8 mph), arm weights, and Pilates

Friday: workout DVD plus weights for chest, back, and shoulders

Weekend workouts are running and swimming at the lake cottage
  • I have a (almost) 6 month old baby girl, and I'm focusing on loosing all this weight. For most of my pregnancy I was at home, and I really gained a lot of weight. Right before I gave birth I was 190lbs at 5'3". A little after I came home my weight was 180 and I was there for a long time. After having some difficult weeks, dealing with my depression, feeling miserable. I decided a change was needed! Started MFP, and I'm excited for a new me.

I'm doing the Nike+ Training app, it's a 4 week challenge. I set hard goals to achieve for myself, and I'm excited to crush it. Plus, my husband and I got bikes, and are planning on riding all the time on all the bike trails.
  • obrncaroline
    obrncaroline Posts: 10 Member
    debisjazz wrote: »
    I am just starting my exercise program.
    Day one of Couch to 5K yesterday...I love running, used to do it alot and I'm excited to get back into it.
    I will also be working out at home, no equipment, and I want to find YouTube videos to follow until I find something I love. Starting this tonight with my 12 year old daughter. Very excited for this as well. :smile:

If you like zumba, I can share with you a couple of links to my zumba workouts on youtube... it is basically a playlist I did with my favorite zumba videos and I follow along as I would in a real live zumba class...