***WORK IT OUT*** - Summer 2017 - Weeks 1 & 2 Discussion

Options

Replies

• obrncaroline
    obrncaroline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Past workouts: heavy weight lifting (lost at least 20lbs doing just weight lifting and no cardio).

Current workouts: train with personal trainer once a week, he does a mix of strength training and body weight exercises, keeps things interesting. Then I lift weights 2 to 3x per week, usually do a leg day, bis/tris/shoulder, and a chest/back day. In addition, I love to do zumba 2 to 3x per week, either at a class or at home on youtube. I also recently fell in love with Jacob's ladder at my gym, so I have been doing alot of that when I can. It burns alot of calories! I also do some running, recently did a 5k on memorial day, however I have a love/hate relationship with running!

Future workouts: weight lifting, zumba, jacob's ladder are my favorites, so will stick with those for now.

Just a little tip for those of you starting.... find out what kind of workout you love and you will be able to stick with it. Before I started to workout 4 years ago, I always failed because I would join the gym and do some sort of cardio on elliptical and treadmill and never really enjoyed that, so I would always quit. I was only able to keep going and make exercise a habit once I found out what I really loved (weight lifting and zumba)!
  • ktoos
    ktoos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hardest thing with this ACL is all the time for rehab but making time for cardio, core, flexibility and upper body strength...ugh...

The best I have come up with is 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. Some nights I can get to gym for a 1 hour workout on the equipment that I don't have in my little home gym.

Before my ACL I was doing a lot of the Beachbody at home (x3, x2, hammer/chisel, chalene extreme, 21dfix extreme). The biggest problem was staying consistent. I also played tennis 2-3x/week.

Now: lost a lot of core/leg strength after ACL surgery. So I am doing 21day fix (not extreme) and instead of the cardio I do Peleton app for cycling on my spin bike in the morning. Peleton app is amazing for anyone who likes spinning!! I do PilatesAnytime app which is fantastic! Then at night do my PT exercises...
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my first full marathon (end of July) so running is my main form of exercise. I run 5 days a week. I have done 30DS in the past and really like it. Maybe when I recover from the marathon before I get back into heavy training I will do a round.
  • Mousaroni
    Mousaroni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hate working out for the sake of working out :( I'm trying to change that, but so far it's still no good! However, I am working at four different barns to get my exercise in! I'm mucking out stalls, riding, and lifting hay/feed/etc, among other jobs. I'm only getting 12-15k steps a day in, but for now I'll be satisfied with that!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have been walking 2 miles with my husband nightly, but with the weather here in Arizona creeping above 100 degrees, I need to find something indoors. I plan to buy a workout video. Any suggestions on a video that would be for someone who is just getting back into working out?
  • dbackgrammy
    dbackgrammy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have been walking 2 miles with my husband nightly, but with the weather here in Arizona creeping above 100 degrees, I need to find something indoors. I plan to buy a workout video. Any suggestions on a video that would be for someone who is just getting back into working out?

I here what you are saying. At 8 pm this evening coming home from a softball game, it is still over 100 degrees. YUK. I am doing 3 to 5 miles a day and have actually had to take it inside rather than get up at 4am...I do mine on the treadmill mostly but the malls here open early so you can walk your laps inside with the air conditioning. You might want to see if something like that could help you. Even if you can only do it on Saturday and Sunday due to work schedules.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing jamie Eason' Live Fit Trainer which is a 12 week bulking/ cutting fitness program. I am in need of cardio workouts that are quiet enough and free! to do while my 10 month old daughter naps so any suggestions will be great!

Trinity, I love T25. You sweat bullets and its over before you know it.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Workout plan 6/5 - 6/9

Monday: run/walk/jog intervals on treadmill - 5 minute warm up starting at 2.5 mph and moving up .5 each minute. Run at 6 mph for 3 minutes, walk 2 minute, run at 6.5 for 1 minute, walk 2 minutes, etc...until I can't make the full minute which today was 8.3 mph for 41 seconds. Then walked a couple minutes then a 5 minute run at 5.7 mph. Cool down is the reverse of the warm up. Planning on some weighted hula hoop and biceps and triceps tonight.

Tuesday: workout DVD either kick boxing or bootcamp, weights for chest, back, and shoulders

Wednesday: Hump Day workout! 3, 10 minute AMRAPS focusing on legs, butt, and abs. Will be posting it here on Tuesday night.

Thursday: 45 minute walk on treadmill (probably about 3.8 mph), arm weights, and Pilates

Friday: workout DVD plus weights for chest, back, and shoulders

Weekend workouts are running and swimming at the lake cottage

Barb...you're so organized!!! I worked out practically everyday last month and I almost died, LOL! This month I'm getting my rest days in...I just have to, but this week looks AWESOME! I guess I could always do extra days of running. I guess.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I have a (almost) 6 month old baby girl, and I'm focusing on loosing all this weight. For most of my pregnancy I was at home, and I really gained a lot of weight. Right before I gave birth I was 190lbs at 5'3". A little after I came home my weight was 180 and I was there for a long time. After having some difficult weeks, dealing with my depression, feeling miserable. I decided a change was needed! Started MFP, and I'm excited for a new me.

I'm doing the Nike+ Training app, it's a 4 week challenge. I set hard goals to achieve for myself, and I'm excited to crush it. Plus, my husband and I got bikes, and are planning on riding all the time on all the bike trails.

You can do it. I am 5"5' but I was 195/200 my day before delivery...at 6 months pp I can tell you I was just off and on working out and not committed so you are doing great to just be here. Keep us informed of how your challenge goes.
  • SageMolokai
    SageMolokai Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of running and now I've added pilates. This summer I'd like to do more strength training with days of pilates and yoga intermingled.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I started Julian Michael's Kickbox Fastfix last night. It was a little different from what I'm used to with her. The 30 Day Shred was a bit more intense and nerve wrecking but this workout was fun (Am I allowed to have fun while working out :D ) It's only 20 minutes so it doesn't compare to Billy Blanks but as Julian said you get out of it what you put in it. My goal is to complete this workout 3x/week so hopefully I can follow through with that commitment.
  • julie_emma
    julie_emma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    debisjazz wrote: »
    I am just starting my exercise program.
    Day one of Couch to 5K yesterday...I love running, used to do it alot and I'm excited to get back into it.
    I will also be working out at home, no equipment, and I want to find YouTube videos to follow until I find something I love. Starting this tonight with my 12 year old daughter. Very excited for this as well. :smile:

If you like zumba, I can share with you a couple of links to my zumba workouts on youtube... it is basically a playlist I did with my favorite zumba videos and I follow along as I would in a real live zumba class...

I would like this! I love zumba!
  • julie_emma
    julie_emma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I vary my workouts from day to day, and currently am not following a set program. On weekdays I generally prefer to workout at home with YouTube videos - I like "Tone it Up" for circuit training and HIIT workouts. I also like doyogawithme.com for free online yoga classes. Sometimes i prefer just going on the elliptical at my gym after work when I feel like something a bit more mindless. I live near the rocky mountains so on weekends in the spring and summer I try to get out there for a hike if I can (or snowshoeing the same trails in the winter! ). Oh and I also enjoy cycling along the river pathway in my city if it's nice out. Haha I think I have workout-ADHD.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    julie_emma wrote: »
    I vary my workouts from day to day, and currently am not following a set program. On weekdays I generally prefer to workout at home with YouTube videos - I like "Tone it Up" for circuit training and HIIT workouts. I also like doyogawithme.com for free online yoga classes. Sometimes i prefer just going on the elliptical at my gym after work when I feel like something a bit more mindless. I live near the rocky mountains so on weekends in the spring and summer I try to get out there for a hike if I can (or snowshoeing the same trails in the winter! ). Oh and I also enjoy cycling along the river pathway in my city if it's nice out. Haha I think I have workout-ADHD.

Lol! Funny. I used to have that until I got workout-OCD and had to do the same workout everyday at the same time. I don't know which one is worse :blush:
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested here is my "hump day@ workout for tomorrow 6-7-17. It focuses on legs, butt and abs with some cardio thrown in to keep heart rate elevated for max burn.

There are 3 circuits-do each circuit for 10 minutes with a 1-2 minute rest in between to get water and reset equipment. I end with a booty burner but that is optional and if you add it start with 1 set of 10 reps per move and then add sets as you get stronger.

10 American Kettlebell swings
    10 weighted calf raises (elevated if you can)
    Stair runs - up and down twice
    10 Kettlebell deadlifts

20 alternating single arm Kettlebell swings (ends up 10 each arm)
    10 weighted back squats
    10 good mornings
    10 weighted hip thrusts

1 burpee
    10 med ball sit ups
    10 alternating med ball push ups (5 each side)
    20 Russian twists (r=1, l=2)

Optional booty burner-do all moves from a kneeling position and do 10 reps each leg before moving to the next exercise
    -leg lifts
    -donkey kicks + pulses
    -fire hydrants
    -leg circles (5 each direction)
    -side leg lifts

Make sure you stretch really well!!!!!
  • Rebecca512787
    Rebecca512787 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    jmb6739 wrote: »
    I lift 3 days a week with my trainer, HIIT once a week, jogging and/or walking another 1 to 2 times (depending on how my knees are feeling). For lifting, we rotate between Tri's and Bi's, leg day, back/shoulders, Chest/push pull with some core added in at the end. My focus for this summer is push ups. I am TERRIBLE at push ups.

jm, I'd love to have more motivation to do push-ups this summer! We could increase our numbers together! Maybe there's a way for us to report them in a thread or create a couple of groups among ourselves for a competition. Or some other method that has worked for the group in the past. I'm up for anything.
  • Rebecca512787
    Rebecca512787 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I listen to my heart rate.

When I was in my all time best condition, I would spend two hours on the treadmill on an incline wearing a 20lbs weighted vest. I started doing this because I'm huge fan of Dr. Kenneth Cooper. He's the reason I've spent my adulthood concerned about my aerobic condition. Because I found I didn't like running on the treadmill, I had to up the difficulty periodically as my condition improved. First the incline then I added the vest. When I started with the vest it was exhausting!! If I start this again, I'll have to begin while on vacation so I'll be able to sleep enough to fully recover. So, that was days gone by....

Currently, I'm spending about 45 minutes on the treadmill at a 5* incline at a pace of 3 MPH. That puts me in a fat burning mode most of the time with some of the time being cardio. I intend to just keep building as my condition improves and welcome the time I'm ready for the vest again. I'm only 5'2" and loved the look on the faces of men who tried in on and realized how hard it would be to do their workout wearing the extra weight.

I need to do something about my upper body! Would love to get my arms in better shape. Regular push-ups and a few other exercises for triceps is what I really need to do. Never been good at maintaining a strength training routine.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My new position is a professional dog walker -- so trying 45 minutes a day until Sunday (when they get back!).

Wednesday:
    11-minutes Rowing and 20 Circuit Training (Arms)
    (Bicep curls, Tricep curls, Lats curls,
    Machines (lats, tricep, etc.), 20 18-lbs. kettlebells on each arm.
    Cool Down and Stretching
    45 minute dog walk

Thursday:
    15 min. Stationary Bike
    22 min. Walking on Treadmill (on a high elevation, glutes!)
    Cool Down and Stretch (stomach crunches and squats)
    45 minutes dog walk

Friday:
    45 minutes dog walk

Saturday
    45 minutes dog walk
    11-minutes Rowing and 20 min. Circuit Training

Sunday
    15 min. Stationary Bike
    22 min. Walking on Treadmills
    Cool Down and Stretching
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Current Workout: Boxing (2-3x/wk), Cardio/Dance gym class (2-3x/wk), Stronglifts (3x/wk), C25K (3x/wk); ends up being about 1.5-2 hr per day

Previous Workout: all the above but swapping out the Stronglifts and C25K with BodyPump (3x/wk); and in the past I've completed T25, started and never finished 30DS and Insanity

Future plans: I've got a few more weeks of C25K left, and I'm already starting to think what I should do next. I'm definitely not near an actual 5k and I'm definitely slow lol, so I don't know if next I should work on distance or speed?!? And then I believe I started SL in March/April, I'm still progressing but starting to think at what point should I start to either add additional lifts or go to like 5x3?

My future stepdaughter will be here shortly for the summer so I'm probably not going to have the time to stick to my current schedule while she's here. I already lift on my lunch break twice a week, so I'm thinking once she comes I'll probably have to use my lunch break on those other days to get something in....probably running, and then hope to be able to make it to boxing at least once or twice a week, and skip the rest!

I'm seeing some great options for workouts on here! I'm especially loving the circuit stuff and suggestions for exercises to do on restroom breaks...I can definitely utilize that.
  • tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I also joined Planet Fitness where I try go at least in at least 4 visits weekly.

I do an hour on treadmill and on my odd days, I do PF Express (30 min workout)-usually going through 2x in each session.

My boyfriend recently showed me some of the weight lifting equipment which I'll be incorporating into my workouts.

I haven't made it there this week yet due to all the end of school activities. You can usually find me at PF at 230am getting my workouts in so I don't take time away from my daughter.