Found a good documentary for beginners

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Okay, I know it's supposed to be "there," not "their." I don't get why there's this editing limitation so that those of us who proofread poorly have to look like we are completely illiterate!

Because it looks at spelling, not composition. 'There' and 'their' are both correct words. It's not going to correct an already-correct word....
    I keep writing 'form' instead of 'from' and it bugs the living daylights out of me. But it's a really common mistake for me, so I always double-check it when I've written it. 9/10, I have to correct it myself..... Or go back and edit....

No, I'm not complaining about spellcheck, I don't use spellcheck, and of course I know their and there are both English words and spellcheck could not tell the difference if I used it.

I'm complaining because this forum/group seems to prevent me from editing twice and I'm a big dummy who cannot proofread well and always notices the most embarrassing typos (like the one I mentioned) AFTER a first edit.

In case it's not clear, my frustration is with myself for making the typo and just a more elaborate way of saying "no, I'm not actually too ignorant to know the difference between 'there' and 'their'!" once I noticed that the mistake existed in my post and it wouldn't let me change it. ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Okay, I know it's supposed to be "there," not "their." I don't get why there's this editing limitation so that those of us who proofread poorly have to look like we are completely illiterate!

Its are bloody lott inn life...

Heh.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Because it looks at spelling, not composition. 'There' and 'their' are both correct words. It's not going to correct an already-correct word....
    I keep writing 'form' instead of 'from' and it bugs the living daylights out of me. But it's a really common mistake for me, so I always double-check it when I've written it. 9/10, I have to correct it myself..... Or go back and edit....

No, I'm not complaining about spellcheck, I don't use spellcheck, and of course I know their and there are both English words and spellcheck could not tell the difference if I used it.

I'm complaining because this forum/group seems to prevent me from editing twice and I'm a big dummy who cannot proofread well and always notices the most embarrassing typos (like the one I mentioned) AFTER a first edit.

In case it's not clear, my frustration is with myself for making the typo and just a more elaborate way of saying "no, I'm not actually too ignorant to know the difference between 'there' and 'their'!" once I noticed that the mistake existed in my post and it wouldn't let me change it. ;-)
    YES. This annoys me!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Snackwell >:)

@Sabine_Stroehm, thanks for the sentimental journey down Dorito St.!

The *kitten*est thing is, even "healthy" low-fat diets were trainwrecks for some of us. Not sure I would have been worse off metabolically-speaking on those musical, Olestra-soaked Wow! Chips than on reduced-fat (Vitamin K-poor) dairy and "whole grain" bread....

PS Congrats on becoming awake at the tender age of 35.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Snackwell >:)

@Sabine_Stroehm, thanks for the sentimental journey down Dorito St.!

The *kitten*est thing is, even "healthy" low-fat diets were trainwrecks for some of us. Not sure I would have been worse off metabolically-speaking on those musical, Olestra-soaked Wow! Chips than on reduced-fat (Vitamin K-poor) dairy and "whole grain" bread....

Doritos! Man I loved those!!!! The messier the better. And what a mess it was for me.
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Still, I literally gained weight from birth to about 34 or 35. Very slowly. One day I said enough is enough and decided to learn to cook. I'd seen Moosewood on my best friend's shelf and bought that. I read. I read. I read. I devised my own approach (roll your own they call it here, heh). It turned out to be very different than the S.A.D. which is why it now made sense to me. It was definitely lower carb, and yes, SLOWER carb. I ditched sodas. No more 20 ounce Dr. Peppers. I ditched my daily snickers. I ditched my daily donut. I ditched my red vines. I ditched most fast food and most commercial convenience foods (and where I didn't, I swapped for something decidedly healthier) And, yes, I remember hearing Dr. Arthur Agatston on NPR talking about his "new" South Beach Diet (long before the books and long long before the products and the ultimate SALE of his diet). That also made sense in my new reality, and so I incorporated lots from his approach. I should say, my best friend ate REALLY healthy, and still does, and he had a HUGE impact on how I overhauled my eating.

It's interesting -- I had a totally different experience growing up, but ended up about the same place in my early 30s and decided to fix things. My mom didn't like cooking (I know now), but did -- what I considered "boring traditional American food" (and I STILL think it's the real SAD) -- meat and veg and starch (usually potatoes) for dinner. Sometimes lasagna or spaghetti, with salad on the side (and a bottled dressing, I liked "Italian" and my parents liked "bleu cheese," and my sister was into "French" for a while). Some version of that (protein, veg, starch) for lunch and breakfast (breakfast maybe fruit instead of veg). Now, some of this was biased because I was a weird kid who HATED cereal, supermarket bread (we got whole wheat, but I hated all of it, liked the homemade I'd occasionally get, though), and would not eat the hot lunches at school, and my mother's response was "if you don't like it, make your own meal" from a pretty early age, so I made myself soups (well, they were canned, nothing special) to bring in a thermos, and brought leftover meat (no bread!) to go with it stuff like that, and I made eggs for myself for breakfast until I got too lazy in high school and stopped eating breakfast. We didn't really snack that much -- I remember snacking as a kid in the summer, mostly popsicles and occasional ice cream if the ice cream guy came or my mom would get ice cream sandwiches and we'd get to have one per day. (I also hated Twinkies and Ding Dongs.) As a kid I liked McD's, but it was a rare treat, same with take out pizza. We'd get TV dinners as a special treat if my parents went out, or I'd get to make us grilled cheese and tomato soup (canned, of course). We'd sometimes go out for Mexican or Chinese (which I fear we may have called Oriental), but again, rare.

Anyway, I ate like that through college, really (our dining halls were good and I went to a small liberal arts school where it was rare to live off campus), and for the first year of law school, and even after that had a roommate who cared about healthy eating so went along with peer pressure, although I went out whenever I could finagle it.

First job was extremely time consuming, and had some eating out components when traveling, and plus you could get dinner ordered in from lots of different (pretty good) places if you stayed until some time, maybe 8, so I'd routinely stay late and eat all kinds of high cal meals and mostly skipped breakfast. That's when I started gaining weight, and that I also became sedentary and we all joked that if the firm paid it had no calories didn't help.

When I realized that my weight gain had gotten out of control (friend's wedding photos, as I was in the wedding) I was horrified and decided to lose and my innate sense of how to lose was really to go back to eating how I thought of as a normal diet (not super indulgent as I knew mine had been). So I did no snacks, oats and berries for breakfast (I think yogurt too), bring leftovers for lunch or buy something from a place with reasonable calories listed (local chains), and then dinner that was fast and involved protein, veg, and starch (with the starch and added fat being kept low). It probably was pretty low fat, although I used plenty of olive oil, and was easy and started me on learning how to cook, which eventually became a hobby. This was early 2000s, and like I said, I didn't have any view that low fat was important, my nutritional views were more like "protein is satisfying, meat probably should not be part of every meal, eggs are healthy even though some claim otherwise, grains should be whole if you eat them, but are overemphasized, and vegetables are important." (My diet was terrible in some other ways, because I was drinking too much but was in denial, although I recall specifically looking at the food pyramid or whatever it was then and thinking that I could sub wine or beer for grain servings. Idiotic, but I was pretty thin during this period.)

I later got obsessed with "eating naturally" and not buying any convenience foods and convinced myself that if I did this I could eat what I wanted and not gain, which turned out (obviously) not to be true, and while I think there was a lot more to it I do think I was eating lots of vegetables and a basically whole foods diet when I first started gaining again (and my knee jerk reaction was that I needed to go locavore and stupid stuff like that). Once I had gained enough to be unhappy with myself I started eating more liberally as I figured it did not matter, but it wasn't at all about reliance on fast food or packaged stuff or foods with corn syrup or even lots of carbs and it certainly wasn't about lack of nutritional knowledge -- I was reading Pollan and Willett and all kinds of whole foods promoting books for fun during this period. There WAS some degree of stress eating involved, and for me not snacking is really key, as well as being active.

Probably more than anyone wants to know! ;-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Still, I literally gained weight from birth to about 34 or 35. Very slowly. One day I said enough is enough and decided to learn to cook. I'd seen Moosewood on my best friend's shelf and bought that. I read. I read. I read. I devised my own approach (roll your own they call it here, heh). It turned out to be very different than the S.A.D. which is why it now made sense to me. It was definitely lower carb, and yes, SLOWER carb. I ditched sodas. No more 20 ounce Dr. Peppers. I ditched my daily snickers. I ditched my daily donut. I ditched my red vines. I ditched most fast food and most commercial convenience foods (and where I didn't, I swapped for something decidedly healthier) And, yes, I remember hearing Dr. Arthur Agatston on NPR talking about his "new" South Beach Diet (long before the books and long long before the products and the ultimate SALE of his diet). That also made sense in my new reality, and so I incorporated lots from his approach. I should say, my best friend ate REALLY healthy, and still does, and he had a HUGE impact on how I overhauled my eating.

It's interesting -- I had a totally different experience growing up, but ended up about the same place in my early 30s and decided to fix things. My mom didn't like cooking (I know now), but did -- what I considered "boring traditional American food" (and I STILL think it's the real SAD) -- meat and veg and starch (usually potatoes) for dinner. Sometimes lasagna or spaghetti, with salad on the side (and a bottled dressing, I liked "Italian" and my parents liked "bleu cheese," and my sister was into "French" for a while). Some version of that (protein, veg, starch) for lunch and breakfast (breakfast maybe fruit instead of veg). Now, some of this was biased because I was a weird kid who HATED cereal, supermarket bread (we got whole wheat, but I hated all of it, liked the homemade I'd occasionally get, though), and would not eat the hot lunches at school, and my mother's response was "if you don't like it, make your own meal" from a pretty early age, so I made myself soups (well, they were canned, nothing special) to bring in a thermos, and brought leftover meat (no bread!) to go with it stuff like that, and I made eggs for myself for breakfast until I got too lazy in high school and stopped eating breakfast. We didn't really snack that much -- I remember snacking as a kid in the summer, mostly popsicles and occasional ice cream if the ice cream guy came or my mom would get ice cream sandwiches and we'd get to have one per day. (I also hated Twinkies and Ding Dongs.) As a kid I liked McD's, but it was a rare treat, same with take out pizza. We'd get TV dinners as a special treat if my parents went out, or I'd get to make us grilled cheese and tomato soup (canned, of course). We'd sometimes go out for Mexican or Chinese (which I fear we may have called Oriental), but again, rare.

Anyway, I ate like that through college, really (our dining halls were good and I went to a small liberal arts school where it was rare to live off campus), and for the first year of law school, and even after that had a roommate who cared about healthy eating so went along with peer pressure, although I went out whenever I could finagle it.

First job was extremely time consuming, and had some eating out components when traveling, and plus you could get dinner ordered in from lots of different (pretty good) places if you stayed until some time, maybe 8, so I'd routinely stay late and eat all kinds of high cal meals and mostly skipped breakfast. That's when I started gaining weight, and that I also became sedentary and we all joked that if the firm paid it had no calories didn't help.

When I realized that my weight gain had gotten out of control (friend's wedding photos, as I was in the wedding) I was horrified and decided to lose and my innate sense of how to lose was really to go back to eating how I thought of as a normal diet (not super indulgent as I knew mine had been). So I did no snacks, oats and berries for breakfast (I think yogurt too), bring leftovers for lunch or buy something from a place with reasonable calories listed (local chains), and then dinner that was fast and involved protein, veg, and starch (with the starch and added fat being kept low). It probably was pretty low fat, although I used plenty of olive oil, and was easy and started me on learning how to cook, which eventually became a hobby.

I later got obsessed with "eating naturally" and not buying any convenience foods and convinced myself that if I did this I could eat what I wanted and not gain, which turned out (obviously) not to be true, and while I think there was a lot more to it I do think I was eating lots of vegetables and a basically whole foods diet when I first started gaining again (and my knee jerk reaction was that I needed to go locavore and stupid stuff like that). Once I had gained enough to be unhappy with myself I started eating more liberally as I figured it did not matter, but it wasn't at all about reliance on fast food or packaged stuff or foods with corn syrup or even lots of carbs and it certainly wasn't about lack of nutritional knowledge -- I was reading Pollan and Willett and all kinds of whole foods promoting books for fun during this period. There WAS some degree of stress eating involved, and for me not snacking is really key, as well as being active.

Probably more than anyone wants to know! ;-)

We are quite different in our journeys! When I was in college, and got to (what I now know is) a healthy weight, about 127, I freaked. I went on a "diet" where I had minute rice with soy sauce for breakfast and lunch, and ramen WITHOUT the cheese for dinner. Obviously that didn't last long. But yes, my general approach was pretty flawed! Today I'm having black soybeans, chicken breast, and an avocado for lunch, with a big tub of rocket on the side.

ETA: I learned to eat a few months after finishing my Ph.D. dissertation. The dissertation definitely added about 10 pounds. Lots of beer. Lots of red vines, and take out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, OP. I enjoyed "listening to it" (again) while doing some work at home.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

Oh I'm sorry. I apologise, I totally misinterpreted your comment.
    My bad... :blush:
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Another must watch, "That sugar film". It's on Netflix. I believe you have to pay to watch it on YouTube. Or you could just be a pirate >:)
  • cosafe1
    cosafe1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - I am going to watch it tonight! I am new to tracking my carbs. I see that going low-carb makes a difference according to what I'm reading! Please feel free to add me as a friend! THANK YOU!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Fat Fiction is also excellent for newbies and others who just need to have a refresher course. My DH usually doesn't like these type documentaries but he enjoyed and watched the whole thing, so that is like 5 stars from Rotten Tomato, LOL

I found it here https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11055922/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

I have been told it is also available over on Prime Videos now too.