OMAD KETO Warrior - Daily Journal

Replies

• tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    How is it going?
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Yeah so looking forward to your updates :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited June 2017
    Missing your updates, I hope all is well :(
  • tlblanksfit
    Please update.
  • hjstewart40
    hjstewart40 Posts: 117 Member
    edited June 2017
    (NOT OMAD) * 206.60 * [ -38.40 lbs ] I'm Baaaack! ... and boy is it UGLY (7 day = 10 lb Gain!!)
    Who would have thought that it would even be humanly possible to gain 10 lbs back during a week of vacation. I confirmed a very powerful truth about myself and just how badly I need to intermittent fasting in my life. I also see now why it is so very important to at least get into a 10 lb window or range at or below where I think my goal weight is in order to have that cushion. As you can see by not being there I bounced right back through wonderland, the 200 bar and even re-broke back up over the 205 bar. I knew I was not ready to get off my plan after only 80+ days in but life happens as they say and I made the choices to participate in family meals and sugary home made snacks as opposed to staying on my rigid OMAD plan. Make no mistake about it I own up to these choices and now I am paying the price.

So now, for however long it takes, I will be recording my effort to get back down to my 30 year low of 196.60 lbs and then picking back up on my effort to finally get down to a normal healthy weight. One thing I learned at the start of this vacation based on the photos and videos taken of me while I was there that 175 lbs is not going to be the low number I need to be at. I can see that this window I need to shoot for is going to have to be closer to 155-165 lbs. At only 5'9 every "healthy" weight range scale I have seen for that height, no matter what the frame size has 150's as a base number. So starting this day I will adjust my goal accordingly. Another epiphany I had while I stepped away is that I am not going to wait any longer to start my iron work in the gym. I am not going to go hard at this point but I am going to start back up this week and start working to build back some strength and shape.

Hey, everybody likes a come back story right? Let's see if I can whip one up :)
    vnbag7vjn1ro.jpgu9l38gsigfm5.png

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Welcome back! Nothing beats family time on vacation, I hope you enjoyed your week off. I'm guessing most of the weight is water, as well as salt intake holding water. You'll probably lose five pounds of it in no time flat.

I give credit to OMAD for saving me on vacation, as well as losing weight there, but I don't do low carb or any restrictions. I just ate my one meal, except not to the point of comfortably full, but slightly satisfied, to save room for drinks or anything I might like to try during any given day. I didn't feel cheated at all, tried local and ethnic foods and desserts, etc. I think it also helped that I don't have restrictions because I didn't feel the need to go hog wild. Maybe if you go on vacation again and are still doing Keto, it'd help to keep on OMAD, but allow yourself some time to get in some foods you don't normally eat so that they're not so tempting. Just a thought :)
  • hjstewart40
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    I give credit to OMAD for saving me on vacation, as well as losing weight there, but I don't do low carb or any restrictions. I just ate my one meal, except not to the point of comfortably full, but slightly satisfied, to save room for drinks or anything I might like to try during any given day.

Very good advice..
  • wsandy8512
    Thank you, I only wish I were on OMAD when I went to visit family in Texas, I was only two weeks in to regular IF when I went. Gained two pounds! On my newest chart, I added a special note there that if anyone needs to gain weight, let me know and I'll contact my mom and sister. :)

I'd be good to go now though. Lol
  • wsandy8512
    edited June 2017
    ^^That is beyond true. Been doing OMAD since April 13th of this year, as well as following Joe's advice not to restrict foods, and I regularly read through MFP. I've lost 41.2 pounds altogether since March 5th, and 30.8 of those are OMAD. I make healthy choices the majority of the time, but I allow myself to have McD's or something I don't normally have, once in awhile, though I don't go over calories--unless having splurge day. :)
  • hjstewart40
    My failure to be disciplined over the course of the past 7 days does not give cause for me to change my methodology that I successfully utilized for the previous 80+ days. I let my guard down as simple as that.

Now time to get back on the right path again, which I have all the confidence in the world I will do.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome back, You can do it!!! I like your plan :)
  • tlblanksfit
    Welcome Back, I do love a come back story and I am sure yours will be great. What is your plan for getting back into ketosis, and how long do you think it will take to get back into the red?
  • hjstewart40
    edited June 2017
    (OMAD Day 001) *205.80* [-39.20 lbs] 66g Carbs 14 HOUR FAST
    It feels good to have stopped the bleeding and now working my way back down the ladder. Also nice to see the keto meter move from green as it had been for the past 4 days up to yellow. I ended up eating around 1,685 calories yesterday and I will gradually scale that back depending on how my progress goes. I may go ahead and delay my full 42 hour fast today and just wait until I start to stall out on 24 hour fasts again. So long as I am moving back down to the point where I was before I think I will just keep doing daily 24 hour fasts. Once that begins to stall out I will look to extend that to 30 and 42 hours.

Hey you know what, 205 still feels pretty good. Its not like I bounced up to 220's like I have done before. I still catch a view in the mirror and I look pretty slim. Now that is not to say I don't have a long way to go BUT it is also not to say that I am as bad as I was before when a bounce would look disastrous. So chin up, get your grind back on and lets do this! Nothing has changed, everything is still in front of me. Just a little contrast presented itself to show me what I don't want.
    yh821mr4m913.jpg
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    I predict that those pounds you put on very quickly will also come off surprisingly fast once you get back into your routine.
  • tlblanksfit
    I agree. You will be back in onderland before you know it.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    You'll get back soon enough.
  • hjstewart40
    edited June 2017
    (OMAD Day 002) *204.20* [-40.80 lbs] 66g Carbs 24 HOUR FAST
    Nice to be back under and re-take the 205 bar. Next up the 200 bar and back into the 190's. With this nice overnight loss I will not change a thing. I will stick to the 24 hour fasts and include the Oatmega bars as part of the meal.

I am still at 1,600+ calories and losing so I will stay with that as well. I know I have several tools available to me to "shake things up" when the time comes but no need to pull them out of the bag at this point while I am still showing some nice overnight losses.

Interesting though that I moved back down from yellow back to green again on the keto meter. At 66 grams of carbs I knew this would probably be beyond the outer limit but I will let this run a little longer to see if it eventually gets back into red. If not I can always scale back the bars to get this back under 50g. I would really like to know what my upper limit is that still keeps me in ketosis and "optimally" burning my stored fat. I have seen red at a little over 50g but never over 60g. Lets see how it goes the next couple of days. Again, as soon as I stall all bets are off and I'm back to extending the fasting window.
    reizg4qyfsa5.jpg
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Half of that gain is probably water associated with the glycogen your storing. Some of it should come off quick. Good luck!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I've maintained for a year now at about 210. I twice gained 10-lbs last year and then lost it. I went from 210 to 220 then to 205 and then to 215 and now I'm down to 207. I have never done a keto diet (except for a one week experiment where I decided I wasn't going to do keto) but I have found out that when I'm only trying to maintain I can do it without gaining (like I've done the last several months) by doing the following:

1. Always do at least a 16:8 type of fast
    2. If eating an earlier meal, I do eat keto style for those meals (eggs and cheese for breakfast) salad for lunch with some protein.
    3. Get some exercise in

If I want to lose I just go to a 21:3 type of diet and exercise and I lose (I eat ad-libitum at night and don't weigh anything). If that did't work, I would eat in a smaller window. It is important for me to get full when eating so I can keep doing the fast. The times I gained weight back, i allowed carbs for the extra meals and I wasn't exercising much due to gout issues.

I know that exercise can temporarily cause some weight gain but that levels off over a month or two and then there is very little weight gain (muscle or water gain). After that, you get to eat a bunch of those calories back which is awesome. I typically can eat back up to 1000-kcals 3xweek and not gain any weight and my BMR is increasing due to raising my metabolism. I just try to go a little under what I can eat back (I do estimate cals in my mind but I don't measure) and I will lose weight (just about 1-lb/week). I don't care if I lose slow as long as I'm losing. If I was really heavy, I would want to lose faster but I'm not so slow if fine by me. Good luck! Sustainability is key. Almost any diet is feasible but not many are sustainable.
  • hjstewart40
    (OMAD Day 003) *201.60* [-43.40 lbs] 88g Carbs * 1,880 CALS * 24 HOUR FAST *
    I weighed in much later than I usually do but still did not expect this big of a drop. I had a bit of a bug last night where I had the chills and a fever. What is really strange as that usually leads into the flu of some sort for me but this morning I feel pretty ok. Very strange for sure. Even though the image shows only one Oatmega bar I actually had (4) all together which is why my calorie count is high at 1,880. It also explains why my carb count is also high at 88g.

The results on the keto meter make perfect sense as it glows green for the second day. Still having the kind of results I am seeing so far I will continue with another round of 24 hour fasting and hold off on anything extended. I had every intention to do a 42 hour fast today but again with the stellar results I will hold off on pulling the trigger on that one at this time.
    vrdps32pxfzg.jpg