Options

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Cadori wrote: »
    Cadori wrote: »
    I voted for kitten because I think the others are stupid.
    Just what MFP needs, a button to call out someone's ideas as 'woo'...
    I don't even know what grock means... lol

I thought "woo" would be, like, "Woohoo!" a Yay type of button.

Unfortunately not. But I like your positive attitude!
    It's generally used to say "what you believe is all magical and just 'woo'". I've had many a disagreement in the past where people liked to say low carb is all 'woo'.

Well crud. Now I'm trying to think of people I may have inadvertently insulted...

@Cadori - I'm inclined to believe that list is short if it exists at all. Generally your enthusiasm is pretty transparent and conveys your intention far beyond word choice with multiple meanings, just saying! We tend to not be snarky toward each other here, so if you posted Woo! on something I'd written, I'd assume it was a cheer of good will...

Good to know! :heart:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott - ...pretty easily ignored by intelligent, mature people...and we know what a rare breed that can sometimes be...

And intelligent, mature people are not the ones for whom these rules are created...

But you are right in one thing, I rarely notice if folks "like" my post in any form...unless I specifically go back to look for it... What I find HILARIOUS is that the things that I say that are the most "lightning bolt, OMG this will change the world" kind of posts TO ME....barely even a blip on anyone else's radar. The "meh, do I even say this?" stuff? Clicked away! LOL
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Or people can just be grown ups and say what they mean without intentionally being a jerk if they feel they must be rude to others. Sorry, but these new reaction buttons feel negative and there is more than enough of that in MFP . I see no reason to make it easier.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    MFP (most of it) is fairly useless for any level headed discussion of nutrition

The CICO fanatics that talk as if balanced nutrition does not matter have seemingly taken over most of MFP.

Eat all doughnuts as long as you don't go over your calories. This is the only place I hear such craziness blathered on about in the forums about nutrition and weight loss. And the articles that are MFP site information treated like junk science!

What a strange little community. It would be cool to actually see what those people look like and actually do as far as activity. See how this nutrition does not matter, only CICO actually plays out.

The food diary is awesome. The articles in the feed are good. There are lots of great lower carb related personal contributions and success stories!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I would personally prefer a 'dislike' button

A fine idea, @1thankful_momma, but in focus groups, the "Dislike" button broke from overuse within the first hour 90% of the time.

However, more nuanced options, such as:

* Hmmm..
    * Huh?
    * UGW! (German), and
    * Meh

remain in beta testing.

;)
    "Like, AWESOME!!" ought to be included in every rating list since AWESOME appears to be one of the few surviving adjectives in the English language denoting admiration or affection. And, of course, preceding it with "like" is mandatory.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    "Like, AWESOME!!" ought to be included in every rating list since AWESOME appears to be one of the few surviving adjectives in the English language denoting admiration or affection. And, of course, preceding it with "like" is mandatory.

Bingo again, wise @mandycat223. That was like, uh, awe-someness!!! I couldn't pick both so I went with Insidefull, whatever tf that means.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Or people can just be grown ups and say what they mean without intentionally being a jerk if they feel they must be rude to others. Sorry, but these new reaction buttons feel negative and there is more than enough of that in MFP . I see no reason to make it easier.

100% my feelings on it.
    In case that matters to anyone anywhere. :lol:
    It's just an outlet for passive-aggressive pettiness, IMO. Positive affirmations have their place, negatives don't. They aren't illuminating or at all helpful. Especially when more than half the time, people act like high-schoolers while online anyway. It's like being stuck in Mean Girls.
    If they want to make real improvements, give me my goshdarned eyeroll emoticon! Or sarcasm font. Come on! That's real advancement.
  • baconslave
    Options
    MFP (most of it) is fairly useless for any level headed discussion of nutrition

The CICO fanatics that talk as if balanced nutrition does not matter have seemingly taken over most of MFP.

Eat all doughnuts as long as you don't go over your calories. This is the only place I hear such craziness blathered on about in the forums about nutrition and weight loss. And the articles that are MFP site information treated like junk science!

What a strange little community. It would be cool to actually see what those people look like and actually do as far as activity. See how this nutrition does not matter, only CICO actually plays out.

The food diary is awesome. The articles in the feed are good. There are lots of great lower carb related personal contributions and success stories!

True, but...Shhhh....Let us not dwell upon the imperfections of That Place Which Shall Not Be Named.
    Shhhh... :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    As long as it isn't "awesomesauce," or I think I'll have to go on strike...
  • baconslave
    Options
    As long as it isn't "awesomesauce," or I think I'll have to go on strike...

Or "amazeBALLS." :dizzy:
    My son(12) said it the other day because he heard it in a Youtube video or something...the mom-beast came out. "Do not ever say that again! EVER!"
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I say awesomesauce and amazeballs. But I totes say it in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I also say totes. Can we blame the California in me? No? OK.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    > _ > I love amazeballs. And I'm almost 40. lol
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    If the buttons are intended to all be playful as the post says, I believe the intention is for a whoohoo, and not woo-witchcraft/it's bunk/doesn't work kind of reaction..

And Grock, not Grok, reminds of something you'd name a slow and stupid giant...so I definitely wouldn't find it complimentary, no matter the "urban dictionary" definition.

And since Kitten is already used to replace swear words, wouldn't that be like pressing BS on someone's opinion?

I do not see how terms that can be used ... that way is ... playful? Maybe I'm old, but if someone pressed kitten on my post, I would think they were saying I am full of crappola, not that I am bad@$$, you know?? I think this is inviting WWIII...

And if someone was that profoundly affected by my words, I'd honestly hope they could at least contribute a sentence to the conversation, not clicking a button I can't even click on myself to see who liked it, etc, you know? I mean, I know I can go see a cumulative number of button votes, but if there are 12 "awesome" votes on my post, I'd really love to know who those 12 are...you know? So I can thank them or engage them further in a topic that obviously interests them...

But I guess actual meaningful conversation is too much for some social media platforms... Thank goodness for this awesome group.

I clicked awesome, just fyi. :smiley:
    I agree with all of this.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I would personally prefer a 'dislike' button

A fine idea, @1thankful_momma, but in focus groups, the "Dislike" button broke from overuse within the first hour 90% of the time.

However, more nuanced options, such as:

* Hmmm..
    * Huh?
    * UGW! (German), and
    * Meh

remain in beta testing.

;)

Interesting.
    I always think Facebook should have an eyeroll button, but I suppose it could cause some hurt feelings. :lol:
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Awesomesauce reminds me of Valley Girl stuff...amazeballs ... just sounds like a 8 year old playing Dragon Ball Z or something and getting way too involved in it or something. And there are so many things kids can say that should NEVER pass the lips of an adult. Just, yeah.

EDITED TO ADD: Not meant to be offensive to those of you who use them, by the way... Just that most people I know OVERUSE them to the point that if you hear the word one more time, you want to damage your hearing so as not to have to endure it... If you use the words is a fun, funky, brilliantly sarcastic, or creative way, that's all good with me. But the way some folks use it, I tend to think that is one of the only words in their vocabulary, used when there is nothing of value to add.

We don't (generally) have that problem here that I have EVER noticed...just sayin'.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My favorite terms are still: far out, groovy, cool and dig it. They're meaningful words. :p
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    "Dude"...depending on inflection, it covers EVERYTHING!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

How did that not morph into something with a kitten in it?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

How did that not morph into something with a kitten in it?

I'd guess because the word BALLS itself is not offensive, and amazeballs is a single word together, and if it isn't in the "filter" as a variation, it wouldn't get caught. Most filters are programmed to be very literal and not intuitive. Like typing he!! passes a filter because the exclamation marks look like the letter L, but aren't the letter. I haven't tried it mixing capital and lowercase letters. That trips up many filters.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of disappointed "meh" didn't make the list