new MFP reaction voting

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited June 2017
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Awesomesauce reminds me of Valley Girl stuff...amazeballs ... just sounds like a 8 year old playing Dragon Ball Z or something and getting way too involved in it or something. And there are so many things kids can say that should NEVER pass the lips of an adult. Just, yeah.

EDITED TO ADD: Not meant to be offensive to those of you who use them, by the way... Just that most people I know OVERUSE them to the point that if you hear the word one more time, you want to damage your hearing so as not to have to endure it... If you use the words is a fun, funky, brilliantly sarcastic, or creative way, that's all good with me. But the way some folks use it, I tend to think that is one of the only words in their vocabulary, used when there is nothing of value to add.

We don't (generally) have that problem here that I have EVER noticed...just sayin'.

What I meant as well.
    And also, you don't want to hear "BALLS!" come out of your 12-year-old's mouth. And especially not later come out of your little kids' mouths at high decibels. :fearful:
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    When I dropped the kiddos off this morning, I had a casual conversation where I swore. My 7 year old promptly said "GUYS! MOM SAID *kitten*! DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?"

>_<
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    mmultanen wrote: »
    When I dropped the kiddos off this morning, I had a casual conversation where I swore. My 7 year old promptly said "GUYS! MOM SAID *kitten*! DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?"

>_<

:joy:
    So far I'm pretty sure mine have only heard me say sh-- once, and it was my oldest (14). :lol: I loudly let fly substitutes like "GoshDarnItAlltoHalifax," "Jiminey Cricket," "Fluffernutter," and "AWWWW Fahrvergnügen!" I'm not sure if the Bigs have caught on to my not-too-subtle substitutions... The beginning letters of each word suspiciously mimic some doozies.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I was wondering about kitten..... is there a certain word that replaces or just any swear word? Does all of MFP do that or just this group?
    And then there are new MFP members that will see that and think 'I love kittens, so that must mean 'cute' or 'really love' ....

I believed for a few days that MFP had turned into a bunch of cute fluffy kitten lovers.... how wrong was I?
  • mmultanen
    my mother was absolutely certain my oldest's first word would be "*kitten*" cause it's a personal favorite of mine. However, his wasn't my swear word of choice that he used first....it was my mothers. BEST. MOMENT. OF. MY. LIFE.
  • Bonny132
    edited June 2017
    How many people will think I am proposing to them when I click the woo button??? >:)

Edited after I checked out Urban dictionary:
    This is a sound made right before you give someone a hi-five after they have made a bad joke or an awkward comment.

n.(or adj), the way a person is when they uncritically believe unsubstantiated or unfounded ideas.

Shirley believes that in a past life she was the Jolly Green Giant of Rainbowland. Shirley is very woo.

Seducing a person romantically.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    Or people can just be grown ups and say what they mean without intentionally being a jerk if they feel they must be rude to others. Sorry, but these new reaction buttons feel negative and there is more than enough of that in MFP . I see no reason to make it easier.

100% my feelings on it.
    In case that matters to anyone anywhere. :lol:
    It's just an outlet for passive-aggressive pettiness, IMO. Positive affirmations have their place, negatives don't. They aren't illuminating or at all helpful. Especially when more than half the time, people act like high-schoolers while online anyway. It's like being stuck in Mean Girls.
    If they want to make real improvements, give me my goshdarned eyeroll emoticon! Or sarcasm font. Come on! That's real advancement.

It does feel like high school sometimes and I get enough of that at home, lol. Though with 2 teenagers passive aggressive buttons and a few well chosen emoticons could make things easier. Or not. I can see that going either way. However, if it were MY high school years the buttons would be "whatever," "as if," and a yellow frowny face with an L on its head.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I think even if the "woo" was originally intended to be "woohoo!" or "woot," you can guarantee it'll get used as "that's woo/BS."

@RalfLott Why isn't there an LOL type of reaction?!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I think even if the "woo" was originally intended to be "woohoo!" or "woot," you can guarantee it'll get used as "that's woo/BS."

@RalfLott Why isn't there an LOL type of reaction?!

That's a good question! (Perhaps it's because of the shi++ing-my-pants-laughing emoji :p)

I would love to see LOL - especially here in LCD, which is long on humor (and blissfully short on hostility).

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited June 2017
    Awesomesauce reminds me of Valley Girl stuff...amazeballs ... just sounds like a 8 year old playing Dragon Ball Z or something and getting way too involved in it or something. And there are so many things kids can say that should NEVER pass the lips of an adult. Just, yeah.

Totally not offended. Also, currently in *the* Valley from whence Valley Girl originates...so I guess it's legit.

I also completely overuse "dude". It has about 49 different meanings depending on inflection and use.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    @Cadori - Only 49? You're slacking. ;)
  • mmultanen
    dude.
  • KnitOrMiss
    baconslave wrote: »
    As long as it isn't "awesomesauce," or I think I'll have to go on strike...

Or "amazeBALLS." :dizzy:
    My son(12) said it the other day because he heard it in a Youtube video or something...the mom-beast came out. "Do not ever say that again! EVER!"

@baconslave - you ever notice that people who are parents or have to put up with little people often have an entirely different perspective on things like this than those without regular interaction with the youthful midget section?

(Both "slang" terms above are affectionate terms applied to children in this particular application of use. I mean particular the young offspring in this instance...as not all older offspring are short.)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Cadori wrote: »

Totally not offended. Also, currently in *the* Valley from whence Valley Girl originates...so I guess it's legit.

I also completely overuse "dude". It has about 49 different meanings depending on inflection and use.

And I can even see the traditional head bouncing with inflection! HA... I remember doing that intentionally as a teen...
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    As long as it isn't "awesomesauce," or I think I'll have to go on strike...

Oh come on....what's wrong with awesomesauce? At least it's completely age appropriate for anyone!
  • Cadori
    dude.

We totes need a dude reaction up in here.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    dude.

We totes need a dude reaction up in here.

I'd vote for "dude" and I think I'd put a "totes" button to good use too!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited June 2017
    I say awesomesauce and amazeballs. But I totes say it in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I also say totes. Can we blame the California in me? No? OK.

I personally like "awesomesauce" AND it's Gluten free. :p
    Although I like 'dude', it's pretty hard to inflect in text.
  • Bonny132
    It seems there is some confusion with regards to these new terms, there is now a new thread under MFP suggestions/Feedback board discussing the new terms. I wonder if MFP admins actually reads the comments and takes notes?

As for the "kitten" l wonder which swearword that is actually covering up???
  • Cadori
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I say awesomesauce and amazeballs. But I totes say it in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I also say totes. Can we blame the California in me? No? OK.

I personally like "awesomesauce" AND it's Gluten free. :p
    Although I like 'dude', it's pretty hard to inflect in text.

Dude
    Dude!
    DUDE!
    dude
    dude.
    duuuuude

Six different meanings right there. :lol: