Replies

• liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    ajm2sx63n0c8.jpg
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,914 Member
    Options
    Lia, awesome on the E2 7 day rescue. I've really done well with it and I think you will too! Edie is adorable... she looks like she thinks you're hilarious lol. As far as sauces, E2 is pretty lenient as long as there is no oil or HFCS go for it. I use salsa a lot, and the basic E2 hummus. I make a double batch just takes a few minutes. A single batch is 1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas, 2 large cloves garlic (I use the jar stuff so easy, and usually more than 2 cloves worth), 2 T lemon juice, 2 T water or more to thin to desired consistency, 1 1/2 T brown mustard. I make it a little thinner if I plan to use it more for dressing than on flats. I don't really have any bowl "recipes" per se, I just batch steam loads of veggies a couple times a week and mix it up every day. I throw the steamed veggies in a huge bowl on a bed of raw greens (usually spinach, power greens or arugula), with potato and/or rice, beans or lentils, sometimes roasted chickpeas, and salsa, balsamic, hummus or BBQ on top.

So I think my ETL 6 week plan is going to be very similar other than no potatoes or rice and skipping the BBQ sauce. I want to reserve my starch serving for my morning oatmeal. Breakfast will be oatmeal with chopped greens and a few walnuts, chia seeds, fruit. Lunch will be a big salad with romaine, power greens, beans, whatever other raw veggies I have, and salsa. Dinner will be beans or lentils or tofu and a big pile of steamed veggies with balsamic glaze or salsa. Fruit after lunch and dinner too. It's only 6 weeks and at the end I hope to be rewarded with 15 pounds gone, so that's my motivation.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Went to the grocery and they were out of asparagus and romaine! Two of my favorite things. Waaaah! I actually pouted at the young produce clerk who gave me the sad news that they were indeed out. I will stop at the grocery near the office tomorrow when I go in to work and see if they have any. I got a head of iceberg instead, mixed up with the power greens it will be fine. Got watermelon, peaches, cantaloupe, grapes, and Lady Alice apples for my fruits. Plus strawberries and blueberries (2 large containers for $5 woot!) for my oatmeal. I feel like I'm so ready for starting the 6 week plan on Monday! Also got broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, collards, mushrooms, onions, black beans and chickpeas. Forgot tofu.

I do think that sticking with bowls is the way to go to keep me going through the 6 week plan, just loads of veggies no starchy additions. I just don't have time or inclination to prep and cook every night. I might try a few recipes here and there on weekends for a change of pace.

Got to the store so late I'll probably wait until tomorrow evening to do my prep work, but I'm all set. Anybody besides me and Carla up for the 6 week plan?
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We've got amazing grapes right now. They are organic, super sweet, seedless, and were on sale for $1.89 a lb!!!

I'm not shopping for too much ahead of time. Joe and I usually go overboard with a HUGE shop, and then we fixate on a few meals that appeal and the other stuff goes bad.

I just finished watching an hour long talk by Dr Michael Greger from nutritionfacts.org. He has tons of free videos. This is the one I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNY7xKyGCQ

As far as I can tell, there are no discrepancies between the diet he recommends and what Dr. F does. It is nice to have a bunch of free motivational videos now that I'm gearing up for the 6 week plan. His way of speaking is kind of strange at first, his emphasis on words, etc, but he really has a great sense of humor and he has a good way of conveying information so that it is easy to understand and relate to.

Edit: apparently it wants to embed the video in my post. I was just trying to link to it!
  • Mihani
    Options
    I will put that on my list of things to watch Carla, thanks! I agree with the shopping too much ahead. I am going to just throw together salads and bowls with what I have made, not worry about cooking actual recipes. I'm sure after 2 weeks or so I will start thinking about a real meal, and then I'll try a few things from Dr. F's cookbook and see if they are good.

I steamed big batches of collards, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus. Took 2 hours to clean, chop, steam, put away, but worth it. I won't have to do any prep or cooking all week now. Other than more lettuce for lunch salads as needed. I plan to have the steamed veggies in bowls with beans or lentils every night. I'm actually excited to start the 6 week plan again. Oh, and I didn't want to mess with heating up the oven so I cleaned/sliced/sauteed the mushrooms with rosemary, cumin, paprika. I did it on high heat in cast iron and they cooked down fast and retained some chewiness, so I am happy with that experiment.

Ready! :)
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Nice prep work, Mihani. I agree, the oven is not something I want to turn on in this heat!

Today I'm going to clean out the fridge while Joe stops at the store on the way home and picks up a few things. I had some fresh peas in the garden this morning and then had my smoothie for the first time in a long while. My taste buds are all out of whack. I put half a banana in and could barely taste the sweetness. I used to add a 1/3 of a banana, only if I wanted to treat myself.

I've got a pretty simple, fat free dahl recipe that I'm going to make today in the instant pot. It has a very similar flavor to the red lentil cauliflower curry, but doesn't have the cauliflower and comes together much more quickly. The weather is warm, but I think by the end of the day, Joe and I will both be looking for some comfort food, so hopefully this fits the bill.

I'm going to switch from coffee to green tea in the mornings. I'm not sure if that is 100% ETL or not, I didn't get around to looking up the details. I think that by having a cup or two, I'll help avoid the caffeine withdrawal headaches.

So, here's the plan for the day:

Breakfast: smoothie, peas, green tea
    Lunch: nectarine, salad, ETL-friendly dressing or a few scoops of Dahl over my salad
    Dinner: dahl, salad/veggies, fruit salad
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You're forgetting quinoa for the bowls!! Or rice noodles. Or orzo. Or couscous...

I was all healed up from last weekend, but I spent the entire weekend weeding and planting flowers at the cabin, and now I can't walk because of my hamstrings, my heels and my glutes. Oh, and I tripped on a rock in my flower bed and twisted my ankle. Gardening is the devil's work... I am not sure how I ended up with so much of it, since I hate it!!

I love owls. You should take a picture!!

Mihani, you are rockin' it!!! GOOD JOB!!

lia, Edie is gorgeous!! Look at that adorable smile!! :smiley::blush:

I've gotta get back on track. I've eaten too many carbs this past week. I need groceries!! Your bowls sound fabulous. I've gotta try 'em now too...
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kind of funny, just noticed Michael Gregor's book is "How Not to Die" (vs Dr F's "Eat to Live")

My spinning wheel is here! Yay! Something to distract me from food.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Ahhh Karrie, I will miss those starchy carbs during the 6 week plan, but I really hope to see some huge improvement in my weight and how I'm feeling when the 6 weeks is done. I will definitely be going back to the ETL life plan, which looks remarkably like the E2 7 day rescue, after the 6 weeks. Sorry you got so beat up by the gardening.

Congrats on the spinning wheel Carla! It does sound like fun and kind of meditational. Recipe for the dahl?

Okay, I confess, I screwed up already today. It was crazy busy and I had a massive sinus headache, never even took time to pull my beautiful salad from the fridge and eat it. I munched on the container of cantaloupe and grapes throughout the day, and mid-afternoon ate 2 big handfuls of skinny pop popcorn. :/ I'm going to call that a stupid mistake, move on, and make sure that tomorrow I take time for my healthy lunch. I brought my salad home for dinner.

B - oatmeal with 2 chopped walnuts and some chia seeds, blueberries and strawberries, chopped baby spinach
    L - not so much
    D - salad I should have eaten at lunch, followed by a peach

Tomorrow 100%.

P.S. Carla, looks like green tea is a go. I couldn't find any specific reference in the index in the book, but found this article: https://drfuhrman.com/learn/eat-to-live-blog/4/why-drink-green-tea
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Those are great bowl suggestions, Karrie. All I can ever remember is rice and quinoa. That gardening sounds like a great workout! A workout with the bonus of a pretty garden. I should do more yard work. I would LOVE to take a picture of any of the owls, but I never see them for very long, and it is usually very early in the morning or late at night. We've seen Great Horned Owls, Barred Owls, and Barn owls so far.

Thanks for the info on green tea, Mihani. Every once in a while I have a brain fart and forget that everything can just be googled! The article made me feel good about drinking my tea! No guilt! I had a glass yesterday morning and now I'm having one again. It is actually Matcha tea, so while it is hot out, I'm having it cold. The recipe for the Dahl is here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/07/fat-free-dal-tadka.html

I have a nasty headache going on that started last night. It is intense, but my body is getting rid of the toxins, so I just have to bear with it. And Joe has to put up with a bit of whining lol.

I rocked day one and had my first truly on-plan day in ages. I even got in all of my G-BOMBS.

Today:
    Breakfast: Matcha tea, smoothie w/ flaxseeds etc.
    Lunch: colorful salad w/ Isa's Green Goddess dressing, leftover dahl
    Dinner: Pinto bean chili (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01/thick-and-hearty-pinto-bean-chili.html), salad, fruit

• whats_her_name
    Options
    I can't wait to see what you spin on your wheel, Carla!! :smiley: I'm super jealous!!!

I made the OSG tex mex casserole WITHOUT the rice last night, and then I used it to fill a soft tortilla along with some lettuce and some avocado; it was delicious without all the carbs (but a little runny; I'll either have to cook off the liquid more next time or drain the canned tomatoes before I add them...)

Tonight I'm making potato leek soup again for my DD because she had her braces adjusted and they really worked her over. She now has 2 new buttons, a new eyelet, a ligature wrap, thicker wires and 2 power chains. Yikes!! I couldn't believe how much they added; she's gonna be on a liquid diet for a few days, I think...
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla, hope your head is better. How went day 2 for you? Your food sounds delicious.

I love that tex mex casserole Karrie. Good idea to try it without the rice, that would make it 6 week plan friendly I think (without oil of course). Poor DD, hope she isn't hurting too much.

Today was totally on plan yay! I am sure part of it was going to bed early last night and getting a solid night of good sleep. Made it through the day with NO starchy carbs, and I sure missed them after lunch. Felt hungry and wanted something but didn't have any fruit stocked at the office. Will make sure to take some apples and clementines in tomorrow so I have them if I need them. I made it through without snacking though. Drank lots of water.

B - cantaloupe and blueberries
    L - big ol' salad with iceberg, power greens, black beans, tomato, salsa, red pepper
    D - bowl with a variety of steamed veggies and greens, sauteed mushrooms, on a bed of raw baby spinach and topped with a dollop of homemade oil-free hummus and a little balsamic glaze on the mushrooms and steamed greens. Loving balsamic glaze yum! It's pricey but you only need a little bit. Followed up with a big bowl of watermelon.

Dinner bowl...

4igic9ks8sd0.jpg
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yum! Looks good, Mihani. Great day. I ended up watching 'What the Health' last night. There is some graphic footage that was hard to watch, but given that you'd heard about how bad it was, I was expecting worse I guess. Not that it's good, it is just that it isn't really the focus of the movie. It was my least favorite of all plant based diet documentaries. I really enjoy seeing the results of people switching their diet, and while there were a few people interviewed at the beginning that had a brief 'after' follow up to see how good they were doing, it didn't follow them on their journey at all. Instead, it focuses on how the government, American Heart Assoc, American Diabetes Assoc. etc, are promoting meat and dairy consumption. And, surprise, they are sponsored by companies like Dannon Yogurt. There's a lot of stuff to be outraged about on behalf of everyone that is sick and trusting the govt and these associations to be truthful. This is the documentary for people on the SAD that just don't know that what is recommended, prescribed, etc. is based on making a profit instead of helping people.

Karrie, my niece just has a device for her teeth that gets turned/increased every night. She's finding it quite painful, so I can imagine a whole brace system must be very uncomfortable when it gets redone.

Lia, I just scrolled back through our posts and your pic of beautiful little Edie had me smiling. What does she look like this week? Post pics when you have time :) Do you have a nice stroller to go for walks in the neighborhood with her?

Day 2 was another success! I had a kiwi between breakfast and lunch, and some cherries between lunch and dinner, but other than that it went as planned. The pinto bean chili i linked to yesterday turned out good. I only did a single batch to make sure, but now I wish we had more left.

Yesterday was supposed to be a day of spinning on my wheel, but other stuff kept getting in the way. I also had to figure out a bunch of stuff on the wheel, like installing an accessory, and changing tension setup/mode on the wheel. Oh and the treadle height! Lots of learning. I did manage to spin 1 large bobbin full of bulky yarn, so I just need to process it & let it dry. I'll snap a pic when it's done.

Oh! I wanted to share a recipe I found for marinated mushrooms, but I just spend 10 minutes searching my browser history and googling and I can't find it. I will find it at some point though, and post it. No sugar, no oil. I can cook them in the pressure cooker in 3 minutes. The best part is that there are cooked, marinated mushrooms in the fridge that last up to 2 weeks and I can just throw one into a meal every day to ace the gbombs. (Missed eating mushrooms yesterday)

today:
    breakfast: smoothie, green tea
    lunch - fresh veggies/salad, leftover chili
    dinner - good question! maybe a bowl, fruit salad or fruit

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    The reason I couldn't find the marinated mushrooms recipe is that it was in one of my cookbooks! I'm going to make these tonight or tomorrow. I think they'll take a few days to really pick up the flavor but I won't be waiting that long to try one!

Marinated Mushrooms
    1 lb whole white or crimini mushrooms, ends trimmed, whole
    1 cup water
    1 cup red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar, or other vinegar
    6 to 12 cloves minced garlic
    1/2 tsp salt

optional flavorings:
    2 slices lemon peel
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    1 dried chili pepper
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp your favorite dried herbs

Combine mushrooms, water, vinegar, half of the salt, half the garlic, and any optional add-ins you want to cook into Instant Pot and cook 5 minutes on high with a natural pressure release. (I would just boil these in a pot until done on the stove if no IP.)

Transfer to a 16 oz jar or whatever! Add in remaining garlic, salt, and any other 'goodies' you want to.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Yikes; tightening them every night without a break sounds miserable. She had her braces put on May 8, then adjusted on June 27. Next adjustment is 5 weeks... I think she'd cry if she had to adjust them every night.

As it was, I had to run at coffee break to buy her a smoothie because she barely ate her lunch. Then I made potato leek soup (her favorite) for supper and I bought her some puddings and applesauces for snacks. This morning I made banana ice cream for breakfast, and I sent her the pudding, applesauce and soup for lunch. Tonight I'm gonna make her some rice with some kind of pureed sauce for supper. Haven't decided what flavour to go for just yet...

Last month she was crying on day 3 because she felt like she had barely eaten anything. This month I am determined to make sure she feels well fed!!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    That's rough. Sounds like she's getting some yummy food though. How many days did it take her to feel comfortable eating the last time?

My niece just turned 9. The dentist said that they can do in 4 to 6 weeks what takes years to do later on because she's still growing so much. (but maybe they could turn every 2nd day for 8 weeks and it would hurt less??)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Woohoo for a great Day 2 Carla. Those mushrooms sound wonderful. I still think I’ll pass on What the Health. Glad you got to play with your spinning wheel a bit.

Karrie, hope your daughter is able to eat better today. Poor thing.

Day 3 in the books. Other than my slip-up on Day 1 with the two handfuls of skinny pop I’ve been on track. Today was a repeat of yesterday food-wise (with dinner yet to be eaten) and the addition of two clementines for a snack between breakfast and lunch. I had a massive headache today though, and felt really fatigued. I was soooo tempted to dive into some starchy carby energy, but I held out. I drank lots and lots of water. I have a 24 ounce tumbler that I keep on my desk and I filled it at least 4 times today. It helped my headache and I felt so much better knowing I didn’t cave to the craves! I don’t know if it is sinus or stress headache or a bit of detox going on. All I know is I am looking forward to a HUGE bowl of veggies tonight. I also haven’t given up my coffee yet, going to do that over the weekend too.

I don’t know if I will stick with this no starchy carbs thing, but I’ve made it two days and I would like to keep at it at least through the weekend. Then I’ll probably go back to having oatmeal for breakfast for my one a day starch serving. I just decided to make the first week as hard as possible I guess? LOL

Doing laundry, as soon as that goes in the dryer I’ll eat dinner, then I have work to do tonight. In the meantime going to prep a package of romaine for my salads the next few days. Hoping I can get some catching up done this weekend and over 4th of July so that I can get some more “me” time into my schedule and incorporate exercise. This week my focus is on getting the diet on track.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I'm sorry about your headache, Mihani. I find a headache makes is SO hard to stay on track. You've been doing awesome. Joe has oatmeal pretty much every morning on this plan. I find that it's best for me to have my starch serving for dinner. If I have it too early, I start getting cravings for more starchy foods. I guess my craving would be happening when I'm instead sleeping at night so it all works out!

Day 3 was another success! Woot!
    For dinner, I ended up googling a veggie patty recipe that uses pinto beans since I had some left over. I totally flubbed the instructions and had to do some fancy recovery, but they actually turned out really good. Joe told me this morning that he's already looking forward to having them for lunch with a salad. It was the combination of the patty with the homemade bit of guacamole that made it feel almost decadent. That and I am not holding back on salt right now.

I made the marinated mushrooms last night and shoved them into the fridge. I'll update you all once I've done the taste test. For someone that wasn't going to make a lot of recipes, I'm making a lot of recipes lol. My Instant Pot is getting quite the workout. I've used it every day for sure, and multiple times a day. My chickpeas are cooking in there now for hummus and spare white beans for sauces - there are a lot of cashew-based sauces around too high in fat for me losing weight, but I read that you can sub any white beans. It probably won't taste the same, but maybe mostly beans with a smaller amt of cashews will work. If it does, you guys will be the first to know.

We should start brainstorming for our July thread title. Junk-Free July is my best (and only) idea so far.

today
    smoothie
    mixed veggie salad w/ hummus, bean burger patty, guac
    fruit salad / fruit
    black bean chili over greens, steamed greens, a marinated mushroom or 2

Here's last night's meal
    725na2oduau5.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    You are doing a lot of cooking Carla! Your dinner looks beautiful. Junk-Free July sounds good. I haven’t had any inspiration here.

Today was another good ETL day. I started feeling better today too.

B – leftover steamed kale with a small dollop of hummus. Serious y’all. I had kale for breakfast lol. I love kale, but that’s a new thing for me for breakfast. I felt really good and energetic all morning too, and didn’t get hungry until a very late lunch.

L – didn’t really get time, ate a few spears of leftover asparagus, and a clementine. Finally got to my salad late in the afternoon. I added some of the leftover steamed broccoli and cauliflower and it was much more filling than just the lettuce, beans, tomatoes and salsa I’ve been having all week. Will make sure I keep up with more veggies in my salads from here on.

D – lunch was so late I just ate the last of the leftover collards and mushrooms, heated up and drizzled with a little balsamic glaze. Followed by a big bowl of watermelon and blueberries.

I’m definitely going to stick with the bowls and salads for now. It’s just so easy. Going to restock my veggies this weekend and prep them for another week. I am going to get some new things though. I don’t want to get too much into a rut. I was thinking some Brussels sprouts and fennel to mix it up this week. Maybe bok choy, green onions and shiitakes to make a stir-fry.

Oh, and I managed to do a little yoga before bed last night. Ouch. I sure have lost all the flexibility I had gained when I was doing it regularly!
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yoga. I need to do this, too! I used to be flexible. I remember that! Right now my main activity is playing keep away and tug-of-war with Ruby. We have one of those big rope balls with the rope dangling off of both ends and she LOVES it. She is so fast! I chase/lunge after her when she's close, until I'm worn out and then she starts running by in closer and closer circles until I get up the oomph to make a try again.

Another good ETL day yesterday. I had my smoothie for breakfast as planned, then had an easy tasty tu-no salad on veggies for lunch (recipe for tu-no in our recipe post). I wish I'd have taken a picture. For dinner, we had the leftover pinto bean veggie burgers on 1 slice of seedy, nutty, whole grain bread with guac and veggies and then I stuffed myself with a huge bowl of cherries.

Weee! Got in some good spinning time yesterday. I have a few samples and a small skein that I'm really happy with. Starting tomorrow is Tour de fleece on Ravelry, and I'll be spinning every day that the cyclists ride in Tour de France. Although I'm happy with my skein, it is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all that can be learned and done with spinning, and I'm hoping to get into a daily spinning habit.

I'm going to make sure I add ginger to my daily list. Gingery G-BOMBS? GG-BOMBS? Its been found to be as effective as the expensive prescription migraine drugs (which I won't take anyway with the scary side-effects). Here's a short vid on it if anyone is interested: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/ginger-for-migraines/

I've been 'playing' at nutritionfacts.org, enjoying all of the articles and videos. Worth checking out.

I just remembered now to tell you guys about 'the ladies.' We've had a few strawberries get half eaten by bugs, and when this happened the first time, Joe popped them over the fence from the garden to the chickens. They seemed to enjoy them. Fast forward to the next time, once they are familiar with the awesomeness that is the strawberry, and Joe throws one over the fence to them. All of a sudden, 6 chickens are squawking and booking it towards the berry. Opal grabs it and hauls *kitten* across the yard with the rest of the brood on her heels! That's some quality entertainment right there. (We'll split it all up next time!)