A+ video - Phinney, "Recent Developments in LCHF and Nutritional Ketosis"

Options

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same camp, @Foamroller. Interested in the part glycation and telomere shortening have in aging... fasting certainly lessens glycation.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Foamroller you may have seen it but there is an interesting discussion on fasting, autophagy and fat supplementation on ketogenic forums.
    https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/fasting-autophagy-and-fat-supplementation/3596/45
    Others may find it helpful.
    Some things on the forum are only viewable at certain levels of member participation. I don't know if this is viewable to anyone or not so if you can't see it, that's why.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    csthansen, I read the study too... I've always been a straight up salt eater (large crystals ground into my hand whenever I feel like a crunchy mouthful, lol) because I think it tastes good, but the only food I ever salt is avocado as I don't want to unbalance the taste of my food with too much salt flavour. Weird I know. Everyone has always been goggle-eyed when I eat the salt in front of them :o but of course BP has always been perfect. My Doc just laughs.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    csthansen, I read the study too... I've always been a straight up salt eater (large crystals ground into my hand whenever I feel like a crunchy mouthful, lol) because I think it tastes good, but the only food I ever salt is avocado as I don't want to unbalance the taste of my food with too much salt flavour. Weird I know. Everyone has always been goggle-eyed when I eat the salt in front of them :o but of course BP has always been perfect. My Doc just laughs.

Suddenly, I just had memories of being a kid when my mom made homemade ice cream and I would steal the rock salt and just eat it straight. Ice cream is the only sweet/desert I ever really liked, but the rock salt was just as good. Now I'm thinking maybe I should just go by some. hmmm....
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    cstehanson can you give the gist of what the article said about potassium?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Patti2008 wrote: »
    cstehanson can you give the gist of what the article said about potassium?

I think the easiest thing is to just paste a shot of this section which shows that the more the better up to the >3g per day regardless of any other health marker with almost no exceptions.

The one weird thing is that the 2-2.5g group does better than the 2.5-3g for a couple of the groups. So basically, it looks like getting over 3g is best, but if you can't get there, then stay in the 2-2.5g range.

olxw7xijy5hu.jpg
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    The sodium discussion was interesting too - a 3-gram increase from the generally-recommended level of 5g/day to 8g is less dangerous than a 3-gram decrease to 2g (except for people with certain types of hypertension).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    The sodium discussion was interesting too - a 3-gram increase from the generally-recommended level of 5g/day to 8g is less dangerous than a 3-gram decrease to 2g (except for people with certain types of hypertension).

No doubt! This is the number 1 cause of most low carb issues.
    Headaches, constipation, dizzy, dry skin, retaining water... so many more!
    Get some salt folks!
  • RalfLott
    Options

No doubt! This is the number 1 cause of most low carb issues.
    Headaches, constipation, dizzy, dry skin, retaining water... so many more!
    Get some salt folks!

Amen to that! Your recommendation, soon after I stumbled my way here, to gulp pickle juice as your go-to sodium bomb pulled me out of several near-stupors.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Giving this a bump, had a hard time refinding it in the long listing.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Re-bumpity bump!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Bump time. Everyone should see this video.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Bump bump-a-rump!
    (hmm, sounds like The Hustle, lol - yeah I'm that old)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Whoosh!
  • RalfLott
    edited June 2017
    Options

Here's part 2 - 90 minutes of fascinating tips and insights (from electrolytes & athletic performance to the effect of ketones on gut health & longevity to the effect of fasting on muscle loss & resting metabolism, and plenty more). .

https://youtu.be/Qk0U006YZ2w

Double Whoosh!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    PHINNEY! \o/
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like Phinney - just finished reading The Art and Science of Low Carb - have read it before but thought now was a good time to read again after being away from LCHF for a while
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Awesome video. Thanks