Low carb without ketosis

Options
ann900mfp
ann900mfp Posts: 23 Member
Anyone doing low carb without going into ketosis I'm.interested in low carb but don't want to go so low that it starts to affect me read of some terrible symptoms when u go two low

Replies

• ann900mfp
    Options
    OK so just enough salt will stop any side affects
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people here doing low carb but not keto. I am carb cycling so my carb limit is either 50g or 164g depending on the day. Definitely not keto levels.
  • ann900mfp
    Options
    OK thanks I'm going to try lowering my carbs
  • ann900mfp
    Options
    Thank you
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    what side effects are you concerned about? but yes you can do low carb without striving for ketosis. low carb has a wide range definition of 0-100 grams per day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 50-100 g. I've been closer to 50 and suspect that's enough for ketosis for me, but I don't care if I'm in ketosis or not.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm doing 50-100 g. I've been closer to 50 and suspect that's enough for ketosis for me, but I don't care if I'm in ketosis or not.

Yep - so many people number one dont understand Ketosis and think you have to be in it to be low carb. No the case. Funny this obsession with Ketosis. Simply be a low carber and see how it goes. If your not getting the results you expect/want. Go lower on the carbs to see if that works for ya.

I am with @Lemucart12 dont worry about it.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm doing ketosis after years of just low carb. You could get everything you want from a dietary change just from going low carb, I'm sure. I also think it's possible you could try low carb, then try keto and feel you get no benefit from either.

I think that finding the right diet/exercise plan is a lot of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. It's true of your whole life, I think.
    No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone. - Nietzsche
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My hubby is lower carb. I say "lower" because he is a carb junkie! He loves everything carbs. I make his lunch and dinner for him everyday and it's predominantly low carb. He doesn't track, but I would say he eats anywhere between 100g-150g carbs per day.
    He won't give up his McDonald's coffee with 5 creams and 5 sugars...
    He won't give us his nightly sweet craving of Reese's Puffs cereal with sugar free chocolate chip cookies thrown in... :smirk:
    As of right now, he is maintaining his weight without exercise and eating lower carb.
    But, fortunately for him, he drops weight so quickly when he does decide to lower his carb intake for a few days.
    He cannot and will not do keto. More bacon and peanut butter for me :lol:
  • ann900mfp
    Options
    Thanks everyone going to go low carb but not two low at first then see if I'm OK with going lower not ready to give up my chips just yet
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ann900mfp wrote: »
    Thanks everyone going to go low carb but not two low at first then see if I'm OK with going lower not ready to give up my chips just yet

At any level of low carb under 150g you'll likely still need to increase sodium. Even without the nateuresis of ketosis your body will not retain sodium at the same level it does on a high carb diet and keeping sodium levels right is very important to total health.
    When you eat fewer carbs, your body makes less insulin. Insulin plays a role in sodium retention. With the lower insulin levels you'll lose sodium more easily. You just lose it even more easily with ketosis because of the even lower insulin level and the diuretic effect of keto. So, basically the lower carb you go, the more sodium you need.
    For some reason though, going completely zero carb seems to have less of need for specific supplementation in most people. I still specifically seek out extra sodium on zero carb but I have found my needs were actually higher on 20-30g total keto levels. I don't fully understand that but it seems common among ZC folks.

Anyway, sodium deficiency is the cause of all the terrible side effects youngear about keto. It's not the ketones that are responsible. It's low sodium and the fact that most people either don't know you need it or don't accept this as a fact.

https://www.jonnybowden.com/salt-and-the-low-carb-diet/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4

https://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=share&utm_term=salt-restriction-danger&utm_content=&utm_campaign=blog

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4546722/Salt-won-t-heart-attack-says-scientist.html#ixzz4iEj2j6tZ

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4546722/Salt-won-t-heart-attack-says-scientist.html#ixzz4iEj2j6tZ

But, regardless, keto isn't necessary for weight loss. Many people choose it because they actually find they feel best at that level. :)
  • ann900mfp
    Options
    Thanks
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    For me, the bad symptoms kept coming and going, even though i ate a lot of salt. Taking Keto Core supplements has really made me feel normal. I highly recommend.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @scottyp65 makes an important point. I've found I need to "dose" my sodium through out the day. I don't supplement Potassium as it seems to do more harm than good for me. I suspect I get enough for me personally, through foods. I've also found that if I'm feeling a "false" sense of hunger, a bit of salt dissolved on my tongue seems to send my brain signals that I'm eating and that gnawing desire to put food in my mouth goes away.

Finding the right levels requires a bit of personal experimentation. What works well for one will not work for another. Though, it is clear everyone needs additional salt. My husband is not trying for a low carb lifestyle. However, because I am very low carb he ends up being rather low carb by nature of our shared kitchen etc. He has even noticed an increased need for sodium and electrolyte balancing.
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great info, but I have a question, I am supposed to be on the dash sodium level, after a mini stroke in April, tried that and conventional low fat 1200 cal , exercise aqua therapy minimum of 3 days a week. Lost 3 pounds in a month. Then decided to go on Atkins induction and still try to watch my sodium but it is double what dash calls for. But I have been getting leg cramps at the end of my water workouts. And I lost 11 pounds in the first 14 days which I realize is some water weight also. How do I safely increase my sodium to prevent the leg cramps ? is that possible. TIA