Frozen deliciousness?

Options
pitbullmamaliz
pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
I'm having a brain fart, so help me out. I'd love to find something I can throw in the freezer for a frosty treat in hot weather, like a fudge bar or even better, a fruit bar. However, carbs. Can't imagine those are low carb! Any ideas for something along those lines? Fruity and frosty but still low carb?

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    I saw an idea for doing 50% wine with 50% flavored water to make "popsicles." We were working on our fridge today, so I will be trying those out tomorrow. Pinot and Le Croix water seems like naturals for this.

Last year, we made smoothies and put the extra into popsicle molds, very refreshing. We grow raspberries so that was very fruity.
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I converted Jamie Oliver's custard base for ice cream into a keto version.... 1 litre HWC, 8 egg yolks, 3 tbsp Splenda/Erythritol mix, warm till thickened, cool, freeze, mixing/shaking every 20 mins or so.... amazing! Going to find some "flavours" for it... would be amazing in those tuppaware frozen treat style molds...?
  • 123sind
    123sind Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I make ice cream using mixed berries around 100 g 300g unsweetened almond milk 50g full fat double cream and 3 tbsp splenda i mix it it in a icecream maker for about 30 mins and then put it in the freezer in small contains. I also use this as a fruit smoothie but without the splenda. In tesco you can buy this icecream very nice. https://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/default.aspx?id=295694256 comes out at 8.5g carbs per pot
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes, strawberries, blueberries....
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've been blending whey protein, frozen berries and double cream. I want to try freezing it but haven't yet, and due to the frozen fruit it feels cold enough for me. Soft ice cream texture
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the Jello idea! That sounds PERFECT! Thank you all!!!
  • CommanderEmily
    CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love mint chocolate halo top. It looks like it's a lot of carbs buy most of its sugar alcohols or fiber, so I don't worry about having a few bites.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    MissMorts wrote: »
    I converted Jamie Oliver's custard base for ice cream into a keto version.... 1 litre HWC, 8 egg yolks, 3 tbsp Splenda/Erythritol mix, warm till thickened, cool, freeze, mixing/shaking every 20 mins or so.... amazing! Going to find some "flavours" for it... would be amazing in those tuppaware frozen treat style molds...?

Sounds tasty
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If you are not opposed to the misc ingredients of jello:
    http://mylifecookbook.com/2016/07/27/low-carb-jello-pops/

I'm back on my SF Jello kick. Rather than the above, I've been making it (in one pint containers). Refrigerate until it is half set then whip in 1 ounce of room temperature cream cheese to make this spongy, fruity, creamy dessert similar to what we always had back in the 60s-70s. I've not tried freezing it but it might freeze well.

Mom (and everyone else's Mom) would add a can of fruit cocktail, peaches, pears, whatever with finely chopped nuts/celery/carrots/whatever. It was a common "side" on holidays. That and "ambrosisa" which was the stuff with whipped cream (usually Dream Whip in that era), marshmallows, pineapple, mandarin oranges, shredded coconut, maraschino cherries, etc.

Flashback! The ever popular "Jello Salads" for the holidays.

I LOVED that stuff!!!!!!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, what the heck is 'jello'....?!
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    I'm sorry, what the heck is 'jello'....?!

Fruit flavored gelatin. :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh! You mean JellY! :D
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Nope, I'm not certain where you live, but in North America there is a brand called Jell-o that makes flavoured gelatine. Basically you boil water, mix in the Jell-o packet, and stick it in the fridge. It's kindof like saying "Kleenex" for tissue; it's a brand name, not a food name.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I love Jello salads. I just throw shredded coleslaw mix in mine for a quick and different salad. The mom of a friend used to make a dill pickle Jello salad using pickle juice instead of part of the water. I'll see if I can find her recipe. Nice way to get your sodium for a change.

That sounds interesting - our jello salads were with grated carrot, chopped celery and Miracle Whip. The coleslaw mix sounds great!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I love Jello salads. I just throw shredded coleslaw mix in mine for a quick and different salad. The mom of a friend used to make a dill pickle Jello salad using pickle juice instead of part of the water. I'll see if I can find her recipe. Nice way to get your sodium for a change.

Going to try this with Costco's Super Salad mixture (without the dressing and goodies that come in the package.) I seem to have a lemon SF jello package in the cupboard, thanks for this great idea.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Dill Pickle Jello (or molded jelly - AlexandraCarlyle ;) ) Salad:
    SF Lemon Jello
    Dill Pickle brine (could be watered down to taste - your option)
    1/2 C (or more to taste) chopped pickles
    More chopped fresh dill if you like.
    Easy. You might want to add the chopped pickles in when the Jello is starting to firm up so they don't get concentrated in top or bottom layers. Add when thick enough to hold them in suspension but not so thick that it 'chops up' the jello.

Also this is an option but I wouldn't used sweet gherkins, just chopped sour pickles. http://www.midcenturymenu.com/2013/08/pickle-olive-jell-o-a-mid-century-gelatin-test/

And this: http://diyeverywhere.com/2017/04/19/10-reasons-why-you-should-never-dump-pickle-juice-down-the-drain-/

Also Kosher Dill Jello Shots: http://www.myjelloamericans.com/2011/03/kosher-dill.html
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

Yessss. :D
    But here in Ohio, jelly goes with peanut butter, between bread. ;)