Anyone suffer from insomnia/disrupted sleep patterns?

Options
1235»

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately FM is a real thing and there are mitochondrial tests that can be done, there is also excess Substance P in the cerebral spinal fluid, changes in the dopamine and serotonin receptors in the brain, and tests that show that muscles take twice as long to clear their load of lactic acid after exercise. Also leaky gut syndrome is common and generally shown to be gluten related. If you want more links to peer reviewed published studies in the medical journals I have a subscription to MedScape (continuing education site for medical professionals) and post the studies on this MFP forum: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104325/medscape-updates-on-clinical-studies-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-re-fm#latest
  • canadjineh
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In my case the FM came on rather suddenly just after I recovered from a severe lung infection while working at the Olympics. Within a couple months (including the infection time) I quickly went from being a physio rehab assistant and teaching several fitness classes a week to not being able to walk two flat blocks without severe pain and exhaustion among other symptoms. I have done research and have a good PCP and rheumatologist and have 'rehabbed' myself back to a relatively normal life but in no way can I get back to my previous levels of activity. We did all kinds of other tests to see what it was/is and everything else came back as normal/healthy and none of the suspected other dx's were positive.
  • canadjineh
    edited July 2017
    Options
    BTW, no one does the other tests for FM because they are either too invasive or too expensive or too time consuming. That's why it's usually an exclusionary diagnosis. The tests I mentioned usually only happen in studies.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    Then take salt.
    Specifically, Himalayan rock salt.

Before going to bed, drink a glass of water, then place a grain of salt (about the size of a grain of risotto rice) on the middle of the tongue.
    Close the mouth (connecting the salt with the palate) and you'll fall asleep before the salt has dissolved, or very shortly afterwards.

It works.
    It just does, okay?
    Try it.

Having suffered from intermittent insomnia myself, and an erratic and diverse sleep pattern, this has been a godsend.

Is the glass of water before bed necessary?

I struggled to sleep last night, so drank the water, put the Himalayan salt on my palate and waited.... and waited... and waited.... Think I fell asleep about 90mins later, then woke up and needed the loo (I never drink before bed because of this reason) so now my body thought I was supposed to be up, so was awake from 3am-5.30am and I am grumpy at work.

This might work for some people, but the only way it affected me, was waking me up to go to the toilet, and thereby stopping me getting back to sleep for hours.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    BTW, no one does the other tests for FM because they are either too invasive or too expensive or too time consuming. That's why it's usually an exclusionary diagnosis. The tests I mentioned usually only happen in studies.

Oh I have absolutely NO doubt FM is real!! Sorry I didnt mean to imply that. I simply agreed that while, as you said, menopause can often be blamed/misdiagnosed for other disorders like FM , the opposite is often true as well. FM is often used (at least here in the states) as a "catch-all" for when nothing else obvious is found - I believe it is over-diagnosed. Which does a real disservice to those who actually have it, as well as the people mis-diagnosed who may have something that would have a different treatment and therefore suffer much longer.

Peri-Menopause is real too. Changes in hormones always cause issues, some not obviously related to it and therefore prone to misdiagnosis. I would MUCH rather my issues be menopause related than FM, because there are "simple" ways to alleviate symptoms and there is an end to it (albeit years away). FM is not so lucky. So if I were told again I have FM, and they did NOT do those deep tests (which I was not aware of - thank you :) ), i would be very suspect and would dig my hardest to confirm there was not some other issue.

I think many cases of FM/CFS/etc diagnoses are actually related to food/ingredients as well, they can easily mimic autoimmune symptoms and can be very very difficult to isolate... plus very few doctors seem to even consider it a possibily and dont think to talk to or discuss it with patients. Diet elimination experiements might "cure" some of these people, and I think it is sad they suffer much longer than needed because it is not explored.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    In my case the FM came on rather suddenly just after I recovered from a severe lung infection while working at the Olympics. Within a couple months (including the infection time) I quickly went from being a physio rehab assistant and teaching several fitness classes a week to not being able to walk two flat blocks without severe pain and exhaustion among other symptoms. I have done research and have a good PCP and rheumatologist and have 'rehabbed' myself back to a relatively normal life but in no way can I get back to my previous levels of activity. We did all kinds of other tests to see what it was/is and everything else came back as normal/healthy and none of the suspected other dx's were positive.

@canadjineh - I am so sorry for your journey to get there, and your loss of overall health, but I'm thankful for all the amazing information you share with us here! <3
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Then take salt.

Before going to bed, drink a glass of water, then place a grain of salt (about the size of a grain of risotto rice) on the middle of the tongue.
    Close the mouth (connecting the salt with the palate) and you'll fall asleep before the salt has dissolved, or very shortly afterwards.

It works.
    It just does, okay?
    Try it.

Having suffered from intermittent insomnia myself, and an erratic and diverse sleep pattern, this has been a godsend.

I struggled to sleep last night, so drank the water, put the Himalayan salt on my palate and waited.... and waited... and waited.... Think I fell asleep about 90mins later, then woke up and needed the loo (I never drink before bed because of this reason) so now my body thought I was supposed to be up, so was awake from 3am-5.30am and I am grumpy at work.

This might work for some people, but the only way it affected me, was waking me up to go to the toilet, and thereby stopping me getting back to sleep for hours.

I never drink before bed because of that reason too. Thanks for sharing your results. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Then take salt.

It works.
    It just does, okay?
    Try it.

I never drink before bed because of that reason too. Thanks for sharing your results. :)

Drink before bed; not drink before bed. Makes no difference to my body. I still get up at least twice to pee about a full galloneach time it seems like.

It's all a n=1.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Drinking water before bed actually reduces the risk of stroke over oght from dehydration. Please don't risk dehydration over the inconvenience of having to get up to pee.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Drinking water before bed actually reduces the risk of stroke over *night* from dehydration. Please don't risk dehydration over the inconvenience of having to get up to pee.

^^This^^ is probably the best reason ever to keep drinking! ("corrected" typo. I'm pretty sure it's what you meant! :D )
  • canadjineh
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Apologies all if I sounded a little huffy in my previous posts... It's just that I've heard so much crap from people who don't think FM is real and just an excuse for 'slackers' who want disability pensions (including some stooopid docs), that I tend toward the defensive :# . I will shut up now. But I have found that more research is showing that it is all autoimmune and often tied to food sensitivities/allergies.

I'm waiting for an OK to get a full transcript of this metastudy and will pass it on, as it relates to differences around the world in menopausal symptoms: https://researchgate.net/publication/6343105_Prevalence_of_hot_flushes_and_night_sweats_around_the_world_A_systematic_review
    Just looking at the 'highlights' shows a huge difference in ethnic or cultural or geographic results. Why is it over 80% of menopausal women in the Western world suffer vasomotor (hot flashes) difficulties but only 30-40% of menopausal women in other geographic regions/ethnicities/cultures suffer?

Also your 'sciencey' Keto-joke for the day:
    Have you heard about the gene researcher who went Keto?.... she liked the idea of CRISPR bacon for breakfast. :D
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Apologies all if I sounded a little huffy in my previous posts... It's just that I've heard so much crap from people who don't think FM is real and just an excuse for 'slackers' who want disability pensions (including some stooopid docs), that I tend toward the defensive :# . I will shut up now. But I have found that more research is showing that it is all autoimmune and often tied to food sensitivities/allergies.

I'm waiting for an OK to get a full transcript of this metastudy and will pass it on, as it relates to differences around the world in menopausal symptoms: https://researchgate.net/publication/6343105_Prevalence_of_hot_flushes_and_night_sweats_around_the_world_A_systematic_review
    Just looking at the 'highlights' shows a huge difference in ethnic or cultural or geographic results. Why is it over 80% of menopausal women in the Western world suffer vasomotor (hot flashes) difficulties but only 30-40% of menopausal women in other geographic regions/ethnicities/cultures suffer?

Also your 'sciencey' Keto-joke for the day:
    Have you heard about the gene researcher who went Keto?.... she liked the idea of CRISPR bacon for breakfast. :D

No worries :) Sorry I didnt make it clear in my first post. I have several friends with FM who I have encouraged to look into possible food related causes only because I see them suffer and hate the thought that it could be so easily "treated" if that were the real cause. It absolutely cannot hurt to look into that, and at least eliminate it along with all other causes before accepting a FM diagnosis completely. It will be awesome if there is ever an accepted, widespread, affordable test for FM. At least you wouldnt lose a year or more of your life if that was not it.

As for why western women are more impacted... I dont really have any clue, but wondering about soy in the diet, decreased calcium intake etc. I am sure the balance of nutrients in a typical American diet is sorely lacking compared to other countries. Fluctuating hormones in the face of missing other components may exacerbate the effect? I also wonder about possibly under-reporting in other countries? Or overreporting in US? Sample size and all. But my guess is diet differences, government intervention, hormones in beef and chicken, etc.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Having a closer to empty stomach helps me.

Knowing stress levels impact sleep is another thing too. Too hard of diet and or exercise will raise stress related hormone levels and mess up sleep. Training too hard causes poor sleep for some

I have always liked pink Himalayan salt for the great electrolytes! Used that before LC dieting.