yesterday was 93 & today was 120
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    102--it's bouncing all over
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    118. Question: do you take an awakening number and then another number before breakfast? Or log just one number in the morning?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    118. Question: do you take an awakening number and then another number before breakfast? Or log just one number in the morning?

I think it would matter if you were on insulin and needed to bolus for breakfast. Since I'm not on insulin, I just take it in the morning to get an idea of where I'm at for the day. Sometimes I take it an hour or so later if it seems elevated, because I get a dawn effect which can be as much as 30 points if I'm stressed or off my schedule. If that's the case it will typically have dropped an hour after I wake up.

I'm much more interested in my post-prandial readings, and I usually don't bother taking it at night before bed, since I don't have any medication which would make it low during the night. I take it at night maybe once a week just to see if anything different is going on.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options

I take mine within 10 minutes of waking up. Otherwise my # will continue to rise during the next hour or so before until I have my first meal, at which point, my blood sugar will typically be 15 mg/dl higher. At this point, I no longer need insulin with my first meal (34 g carbs) but 6 months ago, I use to need my meal time insulin with this meal (for me, this is a 12oz GNC protein shake with 2% milk) so I'd wait and do a pre-meal blood sugar to better judge what insulin dosage I would need to take. Sometimes from the time I wake up and take my morning fasting blood sugar to the time I take my pre-meal reading for my first meal (2 hours later), my blood sugar can increase by as much as 25-30 mg/dl and sometimes only by 10 mg/dl.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I take mine within 10 minutes of waking up. Otherwise my # will continue to rise during the next hour or so before until I have my first meal, at which point, my blood sugar will typically be 15 mg/dl higher. At this point, I no longer need insulin with my first meal (34 g carbs) but 6 months ago, I use to need my meal time insulin with this meal (for me, this is a 12oz GNC protein shake with 2% milk) so I'd wait and do a pre-meal blood sugar to better judge what insulin dosage I would need to take. Sometimes from the time I wake up and take my morning fasting blood sugar to the time I take my pre-meal reading for my first meal (2 hours later), my blood sugar can increase by as much as 25-30 mg/dl and sometimes only by 10 mg/dl.

That's really interesting that yours raises between waking and breakfast while mine does the exact opposite. I wonder what's the cause of the difference?
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    edited July 2017
    Options

That's really interesting that yours raises between waking and breakfast while mine does the exact opposite. I wonder what's the cause of the difference?

That's what I'd like to know too? It seems like my liver is "sensing" that I'm "up & about" for an hour or so after waking up and dumps sugar into the blood stream but my pancreas doesn't bother to release any insulin until I actually eat something or inject my own Novolog insulin to deal with the increased glucose. I'm not hungry when I wake up (never have been) and need to be up for an hour or so before I feel like I could eat something. I just wish my pancreas would "get coordinated" with my liver in the mornings!
  • ConleighS
    Options
    Thanks guys I was just curious. I usually take mine when I wake and I eat breakfast a couple hours later so I take it then, and it's usually up a few points. I've been doing well lately and haven't needed a Humolog shot until dinner.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    104 today...a bit higher than my usual (took it again & got 104 also).
  • ConleighS
    Options
    89....lowest in awhile
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    106...I'm climbing up.
  • ConleighS
    Options
    To highest in a while. 123