Might have to cancle my Gastric Sleeve surgery

Options

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Holy crap how cool that she thought you were already "post op" lol!
    [ am still not sure what the future holds... but I am happy for now!

My crystal ball is broken so I don't know either but you're on the right track!!
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    @Scochrane86 Did you have your appointment with your dr yesterday? What did they say?

I did!
    I was sitting next to a "post op" patient and she started talking to me and said "when did you get your surgery?"... I felt a little silly telling her I haven't had it yet and was there to talk about a possible date (if I decide to go forward). But at the same time, what an accomplishment?!

Doctor is very happy with my progress, but he mentioned "people who suffer from a life of obesity, the weight does tend to creep back" and I totally get why he is saying that, if I was losing weight by counting calories, or a "normal" diet, that would totally be the case! so you can't fault him for saying that!

I am still not sure what the future holds... but I am happy for now!

For 40 years I yo-yoed with 100%+ regains. Now for two years I have maintained eating all I want on LCHF and counting nothing but butt weight daily. My health markers at 66 are better than when at 33 but mainly my 40 years of high joint and muscle pain is gone for the most part and I no longer need help getting in and out of cars or getting dressed. Not being labelled OBESE makes me feel great too.

It was awesome a "post op" thought you were also post op. Best of continued success.

Thank you! And congrats on your own success.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Holy crap how cool that she thought you were already "post op" lol!
    [ am still not sure what the future holds... but I am happy for now!

My crystal ball is broken so I don't know either but you're on the right track!!

If only we had a crystal ball hey!!
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! Such an inspiration! Good work :)
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wish dieting could have helped me. Only being able to eat small amounts has bettered my health. I am diabetic, have Crohns and had gastroparesis. So due to the gastroparesis, I wasnt digesting food properly and my blood sugars were hard to control. My gastric sleeve surgery was 3/27. Since then I am down 43lbs, my A1c has decreased from 7.9 to 6.3 and I feel great. Best of all, my crohns seems to flare less. Only downfall .... I hate shopping and need some new clothes.

It's not for everyone, but if you can make the changes without it then GO FOR IT!!
  • jackinorrie
    jackinorrie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow, so awesome! :)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    In my opinion, only a quack would recommend surgery at 225 pounds. Keto on! You are doing fantastic!

Here's a horrifying (to me, at any rate) statistic I came across last year. The fastest growing form of surgery among TEENAGERS is gastric bypass. Any doctor who would recommend this for children is by definition a quack unless it's somehow necessary for lifesaving purposes. And if that's the case, the parents need counseling for having abdicated their responsibilities.

Of course, I'm so antiquated I was horrified to read that among certain demographic groups plastic surgery is a popular high school graduation gift for girls. Aaaaaagh!!!!
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Beyond fantastic!! Well done!! :):):):)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, only a quack would recommend surgery at 225 pounds. Keto on! You are doing fantastic!

Here's a horrifying (to me, at any rate) statistic I came across last year. The fastest growing form of surgery among TEENAGERS is gastric bypass. Any doctor who would recommend this for children is by definition a quack unless it's somehow necessary for lifesaving purposes. And if that's the case, the parents need counseling for having abdicated their responsibilities.

Of course, I'm so antiquated I was horrified to read that among certain demographic groups plastic surgery is a popular high school graduation gift for girls. Aaaaaagh!!!!

:rage::rage::rage:
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Geez Louise. I am shocked. Most teenagers can drop pounds by upping their activity and eating right. I just couldn't imagine a doctor with ethics doing this surgery on all but the most extreme cases. I was a skinny bean pole in high school and I ate crap food and I used to sit at my drawing table for hours on end. I didn't really gain weight until well into my 20s and then lost a lot of it by eating right and upping my activity. It's been down hill since my 30s until this year and now I am eating right and upping my activity level. I am not going to yo-yo this time around, I feel a hell of a lot better since I've lost 31 lbs and I still could stand to lose 30 more.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember, y'all, that there is T2D onsetting in children under ten years old, morbid obesity (children weighing HUNDREDS of pounds before puberty - or even suspending it indefinitely), heart disease, and all kinds of things - due mainly to poverty and government subsidies, etc. - and the fact that with food stamps, buying convenience foods and such you get more volume, etc...plus less work... It is sad, for sure, but if they're born and develop insulin resistance before they're 10 or so...and have no way to fight back against the poverty system, I can see it as a last ditch option. I'm not talking about a girl who is 5'7" and 200 pounds - or a linebacker who is 6' and 275 or something... I'm talking about the kid who is 5'5" and 450+ pounds, etc. It is scary and sad and we as decent people need to help fix the system...education, improving programs, etc. It breaks my heart, but I've seen it firsthand. :'(
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Remember, y'all, that there is T2D onsetting in children under ten years old, morbid obesity (children weighing HUNDREDS of pounds before puberty - or even suspending it indefinitely), heart disease, and all kinds of things - due mainly to poverty and government subsidies, etc. - and the fact that with food stamps, buying convenience foods and such you get more volume, etc...plus less work... It is sad, for sure, but if they're born and develop insulin resistance before they're 10 or so...and have no way to fight back against the poverty system, I can see it as a last ditch option. I'm not talking about a girl who is 5'7" and 200 pounds - or a linebacker who is 6' and 275 or something... I'm talking about the kid who is 5'5" and 450+ pounds, etc. It is scary and sad and we as decent people need to help fix the system...education, improving programs, etc. It breaks my heart, but I've seen it firsthand. :'(

You can't fix what isn't broken. The system isn't the problem. My eating habits are literally poverty level in cost, especially when cutting weight, and you've seen what I did to myself. Also, as Mark Twain famously said, "everything has it's limits; iron ore cannot be educated into gold". We've been cramming the needed information into people forever, but they just aren't listening.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

You can't fix what isn't broken. The system isn't the problem. My eating habits are literally poverty level in cost, especially when cutting weight, and you've seen what I did to myself. Also, as Mark Twain famously said, "everything has it's limits; iron ore cannot be educated into gold". We've been cramming the needed information into people forever, but they just aren't listening.

By this I can only assume you mean "eat less and move more" and "eat plenty of healthy whole grains" and "replace butter with margarine" and "replace saturated fat with vegetable oil" and "a calorie is a calorie" etc.

Following that advice is what has caused the problem. If you look at the government's own stats, red meat consumption is down, grain consumption is up, butter consumption is down, veg oil consumption is up.

What we need is the RIGHT advice. To some extent, a kid can out exercise a bad diet....for a while. I did it. However, that can't go on forever. Eventually the bad diet will catch up to anyone.

Define "bad diet" for me. Considering some of the things you listed, you'd probably be shocked to know that I can, have and do manipulate my bodyweight on a constant basis using nearly identical food types. I adjust quantities up and down in specific things, depending upon my goals at the time. These things include oats, cereals, potatoes, eggs, and many other things that at least one groups will tell you is responsible for the obesity epidemic. Why am I able to do this? Activity versus consumption. Ask anyone who has followed my feed: I am able to accomplish what I set out to do, every time, without fail, and I am always accurate to within a week or two on when I will land at said goals.

It's almost like the body will react in a rather predictable manner, if people would actually pay attention. Seriously, ask the average person what they even ate yesterday, and they'd either draw a blank, or miss a whole bunch of stuff. *kitten*, I can tell you what I ate on Tuesday of last week, without even looking at my diary. It's really hard to blame any food type, when most people don't actually know what the hell they are eating.

And to cut it off before you ask: do you really believe that government agencies actually know what people are eating? They have metrics sure, but it can't account for wastage (there's a huge amount), stockpiles that aren't actually being consumed (a lot of the beans and grains that are sold in dry form), and rely heavily on recollection data when they do try to get personal, which has been shown to be terribly flawed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

By this I can only assume you mean "eat less and move more" and "eat plenty of healthy whole grains" and "replace butter with margarine" and "replace saturated fat with vegetable oil" and "a calorie is a calorie" etc.

Following that advice is what has caused the problem. If you look at the government's own stats, red meat consumption is down, grain consumption is up, butter consumption is down, veg oil consumption is up.

What we need is the RIGHT advice. To some extent, a kid can out exercise a bad diet....for a while. I did it. However, that can't go on forever. Eventually the bad diet will catch up to anyone.

Define "bad diet" for me. Considering some of the things you listed, you'd probably be shocked to know that I can, have and do manipulate my bodyweight on a constant basis using nearly identical food types. I adjust quantities up and down in specific things, depending upon my goals at the time. These things include oats, cereals, potatoes, eggs, and many other things that at least one groups will tell you is responsible for the obesity epidemic. Why am I able to do this? Activity versus consumption. Ask anyone who has followed my feed: I am able to accomplish what I set out to do, every time, without fail, and I am always accurate to within a week or two on when I will land at said goals.

It's almost like the body will react in a rather predictable manner, if people would actually pay attention. Seriously, ask the average person what they even ate yesterday, and they'd either draw a blank, or miss a whole bunch of stuff. *kitten*, I can tell you what I ate on Tuesday of last week, without even looking at my diary. It's really hard to blame any food type, when most people don't actually know what the hell they are eating.

@Gallowmere1984 - You seem to be one of the lucky ones who has restored your metabolism without ending up in the diabetes or other end of the pool. Not everyone's body will bounce back that way, regardless of time overweight or overconsuming. Genetics is a huge part too...
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2017
    Options

@Gallowmere1984 - You seem to be one of the lucky ones who has restored your metabolism without ending up in the diabetes or other end of the pool. Not everyone's body will bounce back that way, regardless of time overweight or overconsuming. Genetics is a huge part too...

This is true, but do you honestly believe that such a huge swath of people happened to draw the shortest straw? The actual disease statistics are laughably low, when you bounce it off of the wall of obesity that the world population is becoming. The only thing dysfunctional in most, is their self-control.

Now, for those with legitimate medical conditions, I agree with even someone as out there as Fung. His clinic gets results, no matter how weird his methods may seem to some. But in a way, he disproves your point a bit as well, because though the process is longer, his protocols have produced great results even in those with real metabolic conditions, and not just lazy people with a case of "muh thyroid".