The sticky matter of the US Govt's fear of fat (NYT Op-Ed)

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
From those hopeful days between the release of the Scientific Advisory Report and the adoption of the official 2015 Guidelines:
https://nyti.ms/1JQU5Gz

Replies

• richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or do those "health care professionals" look more like smarmy politicians peddling their lies? That goes for the vegan rebuttal guy too. I get a very negative feeling listening to them compared to someone like Dr. Phinney (or even that vegetarian keto guy, or Dr. Atkins back in the day) who sounds sincere.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks @RalfLott. You post the most interesting articles.
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Thanks @RalfLott. You post the most interesting articles.

Thanks. You ain't no slouch!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    richb178 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do those "health care professionals" look more like smarmy politicians peddling their lies? That goes for the vegan rebuttal guy too. I get a very negative feeling listening to them compared to someone like Dr. Phinney (or even that vegetarian keto guy, or Dr. Atkins back in the day) who sounds sincere.

Vegetarian keto guy? (You've got him in good company!)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on FB. I don't use FB much, but this seemed like something worth sharing.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Relative to this article and an admission of sorts, I also drank the kool-aid and indulged in Snackwell products. :o Us girls in the office all thought we eating smarter. Haha. In the 90s, I also put on about an extra 30 lbs. :#:#:# Now I call the grocery store's cookie/cracker aisle The Devil's Lair.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Relative to this article and an admission of sorts, I also drank the kool-aid and indulged in Snackwell products. :o Us girls in the office all thought we eating smarter. Haha. In the 90s, I also put on about an extra 30 lbs. :#:#:# Now I call the grocery store's cookie/cracker aisle The Devil's Lair.

It wasn't just you goils what fell under the spell of phatphobia.. >:)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I love seeing this stuff go mainstream. :) thanks for sharing it!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The reference to Snackwells reminds me of my experience i the 1980's with "low fat Ice cream." The only one I ever bought was so tasteless and strange that I left most of it sitting on a plate on the kitchen counter. When I returned some two hours later, it wasn't actually melted, just sagging a bit in the middle and still somewhat in its original shape. Even at the time, I realized that this neither food nor a good idea.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The reference to Snackwells reminds me of my experience i the 1980's with "low fat Ice cream." The only one I ever bought was so tasteless and strange that I left most of it sitting on a plate on the kitchen counter. When I returned some two hours later, it wasn't actually melted, just sagging a bit in the middle and still somewhat in its original shape. Even at the time, I realized that this neither food nor a good idea.

The worst of the SF ice cream may make one's own middle do worse than just sag a bit. (Like a complete evacuation, courtesy of sorbitol, the finkiest sugar alcohol.)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    The worst of the SF ice cream may make one's own middle do worse than just sag a bit. (Like a complete evacuation, courtesy of sorbitol, the finkiest sugar alcohol.)

Unfortunately, I can't un-see this..... :s

:D

• RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Unfortunately, I can't un-see this..... :s

:D

Well, don't eat everything you see....