Hey, do you guys fast?

Options
sophie9492015
sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
Hey do any of you guys fast? I just realised i do this supposed fasting 16hours just by eating dinner and not eating breakfast quite often...
Is there really a difference between fasting and just eating low calories if you still eat the same calories?

Replies

• sophie9492015
    Options
    I'll take that as a no.. lol
  • dubstepvideobody
    dubstepvideobody Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do this often, it is my lifestyle. I often just dont eat until lunch or dinner in order to have a bigger meal. It doesnt melt more fat in my opinion. It is only suitable in combination with low carb cos otherwise you will be too hungry.
  • dubstepvideobody
    dubstepvideobody Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    it just gives you permission to eat a bigger meal. No magic.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As above, do it if it fits your lifestyle and if it will make your diet easier for you, but I don't think there's any benefit over eating the same amount of calories spread over lots of meals and snacks. :) Totally personal preference. x
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Some people do great with intermittent fasting, others (like myself) don't. You eat the same number of calories..it is just another way to distribute calories and help people stick to a deficit (typically).

Try it out and see how it goes
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Pretty sure i do the 16 hour one without trying. Have dinner at 8:00 and then nothing till lunch at 12:00. I think it would be too hard for me to do any further than that.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone!
  • dimyana21
    dimyana21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 24-hour fasting now but seeing how easy it is (only 3 hours left) I'll directly try with 36 hours.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't matter doing a 16:8, if the calories are the same. Although they say it has benefits to your body the longer it is in a fasting state. I do OMAD, fast 23 hours, eat one meal in one hour. But I try to eat all my calories in one meal, 1500. It gives me control on how much I eat for the day. It also makes me lose a bit if weight, although I am not trying. I may increase more calories if I lose any more..
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Coool
  • arielxo
    arielxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been intentionally doing intermittent fasting for 3 months now and haven't looked back. Like you, I was pretty much doing 16:8 before I started committing to IF just because of my schedule. Usually I'll eat throughout the 8 hour period (usually stick to around 1200-1400 since I'm trying to lose atm) but even if I eat above my calorie goal I've been losing weight
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I used to do IF, but it makes me crave food more and I am more likely to give in to said cravings. Now I stick to a calorie deficit and I am much more in control that way. Each to their own though.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Is there really a difference between fasting and just eating low calories if you still eat the same calories?

Yes, in the sense that it is much much easier for some people to consume fewer calories by fasting. If they ate all day they would go over their calorie limit.

I do Intermittent Fasting (IF) formally sometimes, but also informally by not eating until noon or afterward.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure i do the 16 hour one without trying. Have dinner at 8:00 and then nothing till lunch at 12:00. I think it would be too hard for me to do any further than that.

There's no reason you should. Do what feels right for you and what works.
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am starting with 16:8 - but would like to work to 20:4
  • klaporta2801
    klaporta2801 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found that intermittent fasting has helped reduce my overall food cravings. I generally try to fast from 4pm to 8am, which works nicely because I'm usually at my calorie max for the day by 4pm (I try to stick to around 1400 calories a day). Its hard to sustain a social life on that routine but even doing it a few times a week is good. I've thought about modifying my window and perhaps fast through breakfast and lunch but I know I'd eat everything in sight come dinner time and it would defeat the purpose.
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it so much as fasting as recognizing that after 6 p.m., I'm not going to make good food choices. I tend to finish my eating for the day around 6 p.m., and then have breakfast at around 7 a.m.

I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful, but whenever I visited my in-laws in Florida, we went to the early bird special at 4: 30 and they went to bed around 8 p.m. and then got up at 5 p.m. DH and I just went along with this (though we didn't go to bed at 8 p.m.) So, maybe I'm not so much fasting, as I am an early adopter of more senior citizen habits!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started doing IF 16:8 and loved it. I gave it up for the past week with Christmas but found it was an easy way to control calories without feeling deprived. I could have nightly dinner with my family as usual. I plan to start up again in Jan. I’m also curious about the 5-2 where two days a week you fast and eat 500 calories. There again, it would be pretty easy to do in my situation because it wouldn’t disrupt my family. Looking forward to hearing others’ thoughts.
  • blackcatsdancing
    blackcatsdancing Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i prefer to fast rather than spread calories out but fasting is not suitable for everyone. If you want to know more look at thefastdiet.co.uk it has the science of why fasting is good for your body and tells you how to try intermittent fasting.