Food and Nutrition

Options
L2M1D52
L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
A place to discussion food and nutrition.

Replies

• Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    what are your guys calorie intake set at? I know mine is 1200 but i was just wondering if others where that way, if i set my goals different it is still 1200 so im thinking thisis theright thing to lose or what?
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. Some say it's ok to go a little below 1200, since we are shorter. Does anyone here do that? It seams when I do 1200, I see little- to no loss-(Don't get me wrong-I have lost slowly and I do feel much healthier). I am considering decreasing calories to 1000 to 1100. Any thoughts??
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ARGH!! I'm going out to lunch unexpectedly and I want to do the best I can but the restaurant menu doesn't give nutrition info and the stuff I want to order isn't in the food bank here so I'm going to be inputting it manually later (UGH!) and I know I'm going to have to run for ages to work off this one meal! I have to go though, finally invited out with the other spouses of the military guys here and I can go this time. Still feeling a bit woosy on the planning what I'll eat... HELP!
  • manda127
    manda127 Posts: 145
    Options
    ARGH!! I'm going out to lunch unexpectedly and I want to do the best I can but the restaurant menu doesn't give nutrition info and the stuff I want to order isn't in the food bank here so I'm going to be inputting it manually later (UGH!) and I know I'm going to have to run for ages to work off this one meal! I have to go though, finally invited out with the other spouses of the military guys here and I can go this time. Still feeling a bit woosy on the planning what I'll eat... HELP!

Eating out is always a bit of a gamble! Whenever I have done I just try to aim for the thing I reckon will be the best option from the menu and then try and guess portion sizes etc afterwards. Try and stay away from sauces as they will be tricky to work out exactly what is in them

Having said that, I hope you enjoy your lunch out and have fun with (hopefully) your new friends
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did have fun! I stuck to stuff I knew - grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo) and fries (not the best but wth) and I ate the equivalent of one roll (half a roll?) absentmindedly which was a mistake but whatever. I also had a side salad and some of my son's broccoli so that I got my veggies in. It was worth it. Thanks for checking on me!
  • manda127
    manda127 Posts: 145
    Options
    I did have fun! I stuck to stuff I knew - grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo) and fries (not the best but wth) and I ate the equivalent of one roll (half a roll?) absentmindedly which was a mistake but whatever. I also had a side salad and some of my son's broccoli so that I got my veggies in. It was worth it. Thanks for checking on me!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your lunch out, sounds like you did OK with your food choices too
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    where is there a discussion on what has helped you lose any weight being this short? I feel like my height and age is getting the better of me. Im so sick of not losing i been on here since Augest lost three pounds over and over i mean i keep gaiing it back. I lost 6 pounds since last yr before i got on here.

I was told not eating enough so i up the calories and nothing still. I was exercising 5 days a week. I have not been able to do much this week at all had very minor surgery but i cant exercise for a week.

After that im getting back on it again.

I run three times a week i do step aerobics 45 minutes to an hour three days a week and during thses days i get strength training in also mabye two or three days a week also, like one of those days is step with circuits of weight training.

I even tried to go down to 1000 calories a day and i never could make it, I cant find little stuff to eat. You can really pack in some calories, how and what are you eating to stay at 1000 calories, So that motivates me to exericse the more i exericse the more i can eat!

However that is not working so i have decided to set my goal to 1/2 pound loss and it pumbed calories to 1300 i think. Maybe once i get to exercise it will work.

How about you guys any one in the late 30 or early 40's and 5 foot 1, havign a hard time or did have a hard time? And if yu are now losing id LOVE to hear what you did. Thanks
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    where is there a discussion on what has helped you lose any weight being this short? I feel like my height and age is getting the better of me. Im so sick of not losing i been on here since Augest lost three pounds over and over i mean i keep gaiing it back. I lost 6 pounds since last yr before i got on here.

I was told not eating enough so i up the calories and nothing still. I was exercising 5 days a week. I have not been able to do much this week at all had very minor surgery but i cant exercise for a week.

I run three times a week i do step aerobics 45 minutes to an hour three days a week and during thses days i get strength training in also mabye two or three days a week also, like one of those days is step with circuits of weight training.

I even tried to go down to 1000 calories a day and i never could make it, I cant find little stuff to eat. You can really pack in some calories, how and what are you eating to stay at 1000 calories, So that motivates me to exericse the more i exericse the more i can eat!

However that is not working so i have decided to set my goal to 1/2 pound loss and it pumbed calories to 1300 i think. Maybe once i get to exercise it will work.

How about you guys any one in the late 30 or early 40's and 5 foot 1, havign a hard time or did have a hard time? And if yu are now losing id LOVE to hear what you did. Thanks
    Noone has answered this post either, just saying i have written a lot of post on differnet areas on here and noone is answering. I think im going to stop. I am either posting it wrong or people are not reading so i give up.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I haven't been very active on these boards. But here's what I have to offer on your question.

I'm 36 years old, 4'11. I lost 15 pounds. Here's how I did it.

Always ate at least my 1200 calories. On days I work out, I eat at least half my exercise calories back. In the beginning I worked out HARD. At least a 30 minute fast paced walk (on my lunch break) and a work out when I got home from work. Normally that would be either a Jillian Michaels DVD or Zumba on the Wii. I burned at least 500 calories a day for a total of 3500 a week (3500 calories = 1 pound). And drink plenty of water!

Hope this helps.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I haven't been very active on these boards. But here's what I have to offer on your question.

I'm 36 years old, 4'11. I lost 15 pounds. Here's how I did it.

Always ate at least my 1200 calories. On days I work out, I eat at least half my exercise calories back. In the beginning I worked out HARD. At least a 30 minute fast paced walk (on my lunch break) and a work out when I got home from work. Normally that would be either a Jillian Michaels DVD or Zumba on the Wii. I burned at least 500 calories a day for a total of 3500 a week (3500 calories = 1 pound). And drink plenty of water!

Hope this helps.

thanks. that helps. I have wondered about whether or not we should eat the calories back.
  • funicello
    funicello Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this group. Is anyone else on the Eat to Live 6 week plan? I am 5 ft tall & am a paraplegic so my calorie goal is quite low. MFP set me at 1200 but I strive for around 1000 sometimes a little less due to not being able to be as active on those days. I have about 100 lbs to lose. I just read the book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman & really think this could work for me. Just wondering if anyone else has done it or is trying it now. Any tips or recipes?
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined. I'm almost-but-not-quite 5'3" - so I usually just say I'm 5'3" :) My biggest struggle is my appetite. I love to eat. When I just eat the amount that I want and am comfortable/satisfied on a daily basis, even making pretty healthy choices, I can easily eat over 2300-2700 calories in any given day. I've currently got my calories here on MFP set to 1450 to lose weight, and I eat back most of my exercise calories. After struggling for a while, I'm now used to eating 1300-1800 calories per day, but I've got to make sure I get some exercise in to earn those calories. 1450 calories for me is ROUGH. Highest weight ever was 168 in the morning, now I'm 165 again after a couple of good, disciplined weeks (and joining a gym). I was between 135-140 lb 3 years ago when I got married and I'd like to get back there in the next 12 months if possible. ,

I had a previous success using MFP when I went from 161 to 152, but I got fed up with calorie counting and quit, and within 6-8 months or so found myself at 168. Ugh.

I feel like the only way to get one good meal in (I like a big dinner!) is to eat very little during the day while I am at work, like up to 500 calories, so that I can eat 600-700 calories for dinner plus late night snacks. But is that healthy? My husband doesn't think so. But it seems to be the only method that works for me lately.

I use a Jawbone UP which I really like for tracking my daily calorie burn and also sleep. MFP hasn't been syncing my exercise lately and that's a big pain in the butt.

TLDR: Hi, I'm short and I like to eat. Current 165 Goal 135. Lately I've been starving myself until dinner (500 calories until 5pm to me is starving) then I get to pig out at night and it seems to be working for me.
  • ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Edithrenee wrote: »

I am having a hard time losing weight, I'm also having a hard time with people in the main community telling me that I am going to kill myself eating only 1200 calories a day. I do have an active job and I workout 5-6 days a week. The hardest part about it all is giants thinking they know how much I should be eating. I am 4'11" and 34 years old. They didn't believe me when I gained 2 lbs by eating 1500 calories a day, not sure why that is so unbelievable, but whatever
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Edithrenee wrote: »

I am having a hard time losing weight, I'm also having a hard time with people in the main community telling me that I am going to kill myself eating only 1200 calories a day. I do have an active job and I workout 5-6 days a week. The hardest part about it all is giants thinking they know how much I should be eating. I am 4'11" and 34 years old. They didn't believe me when I gained 2 lbs by eating 1500 calories a day, not sure why that is so unbelievable, but whatever

Because that is simply not possible.