LCHF for cancer? Or other helpful diets?

Options
13»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Here is an article talking about a recent study with fasting which may be of interest.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/scientists-discover-fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-fights-cancer.html?t=DM

Here is the link to the actual study:

http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fulltext/S1934-5909(14)00151-9

Cancer is not the primary focus, but it does discuss how chemo can destroy the immune system and fasting seems to rebuild the immune system.

Key pull quote from the article:
    “While chemotherapy saves lives, it causes significant collateral damage to the immune system. The results of this study suggest that fasting may mitigate some of the harmful effects of chemotherapy,” said co-author Tanya Dorff, assistant professor of clinical medicine at the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital. “More clinical studies are needed, and any such dietary intervention should be undertaken only under the guidance of a physician.”

Really interesting article. Thanks! I'm not sure what sorts of therapies these ladies will be dealing with. This makes a lot of sense though. A lot.
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    I just remembered another herb we used and it makes a delicious hot tea. Well I like weird things but even hubby did not mind it at all. It Reshi Mushroom powder.

I believe my husbands tumor also blocked the bile duct He had to have a stint put in to open it so it would work. This stint was removed during the whipple. Sad it takes so long for your MIL. He was first diagnosed Jan 23 and in the chemo chair after three procedures , stint put in then internalized.He wore a bile bag outside for a couple of weeks. Ewee that was scary bad to drain. Then he was put down again for a port install. Chemo the next day. We had to drive 200 miles each time they did some thing to him and 90 miles for chemo. But it was worth it. I think it helped him stay alive added years. It took time at the chemo to get him into the patient rotation. There was a waiting time of almost two weeks. I felt all in all it went pretty fast but know the frustration of waiting while you are getting sicker by the minute.

Some times they will try chemo to shrink the tumor if it is too close to the vein. They never know what part of the tumor will shrink but it is a chance they were willing to take with hubby. He went through 12 rounds with CT scans to watch the progress. I think the first scan was at three months and the tumor was starting to shrink and his CA19-9 number had dropped to about half of what it as. This is a tumor marker. So they continued on with the chemo. If it had not been shrinking the tumor they would have switched chemo hoping to find one that would shrink it.

Thing about pancreas cancer and many other cancers is the people lose their appetites not only from the chemo I think the cancer plays a part in it. And with the pancreas involved the pain in the tummy area makes the thought of adding food on top of it unimaginable.

Hubby really was a trooper and tried so hard to stay alive. Even when he had to choke down the food only to watch it come back up he would do so just to at least try. He also walked every day to the post office when he could. It is only a little over 1/2 a mile. But it was a brisk walk for him. I could not keep up with him. He also was older when diagnosed . In perfect health no other meds so this was a good factor in his favor.

I will try to watch for responses from you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I just remembered another herb we used and it makes a delicious hot tea. Well I like weird things but even hubby did not mind it at all. It Reshi Mushroom powder.

I believe my husbands tumor also blocked the bile duct He had to have a stint put in to open it so it would work. This stint was removed during the whipple. Sad it takes so long for your MIL. He was first diagnosed Jan 23 and in the chemo chair after three procedures , stint put in then internalized.He wore a bile bag outside for a couple of weeks. Ewee that was scary bad to drain. Then he was put down again for a port install. Chemo the next day. We had to drive 200 miles each time they did some thing to him and 90 miles for chemo. But it was worth it. I think it helped him stay alive added years. It took time at the chemo to get him into the patient rotation. There was a waiting time of almost two weeks. I felt all in all it went pretty fast but know the frustration of waiting while you are getting sicker by the minute.

Some times they will try chemo to shrink the tumor if it is too close to the vein. They never know what part of the tumor will shrink but it is a chance they were willing to take with hubby. He went through 12 rounds with CT scans to watch the progress. I think the first scan was at three months and the tumor was starting to shrink and his CA19-9 number had dropped to about half of what it as. This is a tumor marker. So they continued on with the chemo. If it had not been shrinking the tumor they would have switched chemo hoping to find one that would shrink it.

Thing about pancreas cancer and many other cancers is the people lose their appetites not only from the chemo I think the cancer plays a part in it. And with the pancreas involved the pain in the tummy area makes the thought of adding food on top of it unimaginable.

Hubby really was a trooper and tried so hard to stay alive. Even when he had to choke down the food only to watch it come back up he would do so just to at least try. He also walked every day to the post office when he could. It is only a little over 1/2 a mile. But it was a brisk walk for him. I could not keep up with him. He also was older when diagnosed . In perfect health no other meds so this was a good factor in his favor.

@MissMaggieElizabeth Thank you so much for your reply. :) Your husband sounds like he was a strong man. A fighter. I am sure that was a big factor in how well he fought it.

My MIL is in a similar boat in having to travel for this. She has a long ferry ride and drive for her next test in 10 days. Hopefully things go well and she is treatable. She's just a lovely soul, and I hope she is given some hope to fight this with after they better know what they are dealing with.

Reshi mushroom powder... I'll look into that. I've never even heard of it!

Thank you again. :)
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

@MissMaggieElizabeth Thank you so much for your reply. :) Your husband sounds like he was a strong man. A fighter. I am sure that was a big factor in how well he fought it.

My MIL is in a similar boat in having to travel for this. She has a long ferry ride and drive for her next test in 10 days. Hopefully things go well and she is treatable. She's just a lovely soul, and I hope she is given some hope to fight this with after they better know what they are dealing with.

Reshi mushroom powder... I'll look into that. I've never even heard of it!

Thank you again. :)

Just be sure you run anything by her oncologist. A few herbs do not play nice with the different versions of chemo.One caused a possibility of bleeding and chemo could also cause this so not a good idea to use it and double the chances of having a bleed going on. Now the CO Q 10 is an anti oxidant so if the form of chemo is to oxidize the cancer it would not be productive to use it. At one point we could use it then had to stop. Bitter melon was fine with all the forms of chemo he had. We always told the oncologist what he wanted to try before doing it. Oncologist was on board with us doing what we could this wan and many times said whatever you are doing keep doing it until it quite working because some thing is keeping your guy alive and it is not just the chemo. I think a good multi vitamin for him also helped. Also we bought the acid blocker online and the digestive enzymes the pharmacy wanted $5.00 a pill and he had to take three a day. We paid 8 cents a pill and they worked just as well if not better than the $5.00 ones. My brain is gone tonight I forget the name off hand of that one.

Please message me there is one thing I need to tell you privately. The rest I can share online here.

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I remembered watching a couple of TED talks (one may have been Peter Attia) about keto an cancer. Although I've never looked much into it, is that stuff turning out to be largely nonsense?

One of them got into it on the basis that cancer cells are obligate glucose users. Not that keto actually stopped cancer, but more that it kind of halted the spread. They also talked about combined keto and hyperbaric therapy.

Interestingly in my area they're starting to use hyperbaric therapy to help with recovery, on previously thought of as "uncurable" conditions such as ABI.

Mom, I wish you all the best! I know it's a horrible thing to have to deal with.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've been taking Reishi Mushroom extract for several years now for my fibromyalgia. I haven't seen it in a tea but I do take this:
    L6629836.JPG?sw=556&sh=680&sm=fit
    I stumbled across it by accident as I had won a month's supply from my local health food store and noted amazing results within 3 days. Before I took it, I could not walk 2 flat blocks; now I am back to working full time and day hiking with my hubby. If I miss taking it for a few days I am back down to my previous painfilled, exhausted, and fatigued state. It does more than just stress relief but that is what most people take it for.

It is definitely worth trying!
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I've been taking Reishi Mushroom extract for several years now for my fibromyalgia. I haven't seen it in a tea but I do take this:
    L6629836.JPG?sw=556&sh=680&sm=fit
    I stumbled across it by accident as I had won a month's supply from my local health food store and noted amazing results within 3 days. Before I took it, I could not walk 2 flat blocks; now I am back to working full time and day hiking with my hubby. If I miss taking it for a few days I am back down to my previous painfilled, exhausted, and fatigued state. It does more than just stress relief but that is what most people take it for.

It is definitely worth trying!

I buy mine in bulk powder form online and use the powder to make the tea. I do use some sweetener not the sugar and it is a rather pleasant tea. Good to know it also helps fibro. I am passing this information on to a friend whos' wife has fibro. Thanks for posting this.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @MissMaggieElizabeth I experimented with other brands of Reishi (some more expensive - Mikei from Japan, & some cheaper) - this was the best value for the money for me. It worked as well as the Mikei which was double the price although 1/2 the number of pills needed. The cheaper brands did not work for me. The Mikei were packaged in a distinctly Japanese way, perfectly presented & all aspects pristine. Lovely to look at, but I figured the less packaging, the better for our environment.