Sept. Keto Challenge - Join me?

Options

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would like to join! I'm on my second day .

Wonderful!
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    DeVazMom wrote: »
    Brand new to KETO! Only Day four and I feel like I am failing miserably. I am not going to give up but some pointers, tips, positive motivation would be awesome!

Make sure your fat is high enough - this eliminates cravings. Glad to have you!
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    Sat. check-in:
    9/2 173
    9/9 170.4
    The challenge helped me say no to temptations!
    Still need to up exercise - My goal is 3/week. Getting a walk in today - it is a beautiful day here today.

Prayers for Florida and Texas! How are you doing??

Sharon

Sat. Update:
    9/2 173
    9/9 170.4
    9/16 171

Down 2 lbs total - Had a bad day and felt terrible after. I am back on track, and putting it behind me! I feel so much better on Keto. It is beautiful today...walking is on my list! Have a nice weekend all!

• Roxxie9
    Roxxie9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A little late but I'll join. I need more support
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    Roxxie9 wrote: »
    A little late but I'll join. I need more support

Welcome!
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

9/1: 227.8
    9/8: 227.2
    9/15: 226
    9/22:
    9/29:

I'm having a lot of leg cramps at night and leg pain/aching during the day and night. I drink at least 10 cups of water a day and have been drinking electrolyte drinks, but the leg pain continues. Does anyone else deal with this? Any ideas on how to get rid of the cramps and pain?

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your electrolyte drinks are not high enough in sodium? And then perhaps the 10 cups of water you are drinking are counter productive because they are only "diluting" what you are supplementing via the electrolyte drinks?

The most frequently recommended sodium intake for those on a ketogenic diet is 3000-5000 mg per day. Up your sodium to the recommended if you have no medical reasons suggesting you limit sodium intake.

Magnesium supplementation is recommended for those who get leg cramps. General recommendation is a magnesium that ends in "ate" such as citrate or glycinate. Magnesium oxide is the most readily found in common stores but not recommended. It doesn't end in "ate" and is often associated with loose bowels.

Magnesium for muscle contractions is not specific to keto. Pick up any bottle and read the benefits or uses and it will most likely include something related to muscle contractions. Many individuals recommend a high dosage. In fact 400 mg is usually recommended on the bottles. 100 mg is enough for me. I get plenty of magnesium in the foods I eat.
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    klelk2 wrote: »
    9/22:
    9/29:

I'm having a lot of leg cramps at night and leg pain/aching during the day and night. I drink at least 10 cups of water a day and have been drinking electrolyte drinks, but the leg pain continues. Does anyone else deal with this? Any ideas on how to get rid of the cramps and pain?

Definitely check with your doctor - but I eat avacodos often, and take a potassium every night. You might also add a cup or two of bullion and use pink Himalayan salt. It sounds like your water intake is good.
  • FabulousFifty
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Just finished my keto coffee and ready for a great week - My focus this week is to eat light at night, and exercise! What is your focus?
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    NikkiJRM wrote: »
    My Sept goals are to stay under 25g net carbs, daily, and also increase the amount of water I drink. I'm so terrible about drinking enough water. I have a daily 10k step goal/1hr exercise. I hope to continue that. I think 8lbs off is doable for me. :smiley:

9/4: 241.0
    9/11: 239.2
    9/18:
    9/25:
    10/1:

I had a great week & awesome weekend! I think my greatest successes were increasing the intensity of my workouts to include intervals of running, and drinking lots & LOTS of water. I'm surprised at how easy I found it, once I was logging it. I'm hoping to turn it into a habit. At the end of last week I was annoyed at how full I was feeling after breakfast, and just having to sit and wait for a bit before starting my workouts. I started looking into intermittent and extended fasting, and wound up deciding on an extended fast Sat & Sun. I have to admit, it was liberating not having to think about preparing meals, or logging every single little thing, down to a few grams of whatever. Definitely not for most people, but I have plenty of fluff to burn through. :p

9/11: 239.2 -1.8
    9/18: 233.0 -6.2 (Had a couple extra lbs thx to lady cycle bloat :| )
    9/25:
    10/1:

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    klelk2 wrote: »
    9/22:
    9/29:

@klelk2 - As others mentioned above, checking your electrolyte balance and playing around with adding more of some things, pausing other things, can help with the leg cramps and such. Getting cleared by a doctor to rule out any other major medical concerns is crucial, too.

The one thing that really helped me with leg pain/aching during the day/night - was increasing my boron and my zinc. Boron and zinc are what strengthen your cell walls to help hold in the magnesium/potassium/calcium that are regularly leeched out of your bones and muscles when the blood balance is off. To my understanding, this is mainly what causes muscle cramps and bone pain.

My main understanding is that calcium is absorbed from food (without a true deficiency, almost no one needs to supplement calcium - but rather the things that help to properly absorb it), then D3 pulls that calcium into the body/bloodstream. K2 helps that D3 know that the calcium needs to go into the muscles and bones. The magnesium and potassium are the bus/passport to get these nutrients into the cells, and boron and zinc are the door keepers, letting the stuff in - and then keeping it there....

There are a number of other issues that can affect electrolyte balance, but for me, these were the major parts. Getting my sodium levels up and keeping them up over the day allowed me to hold on to the nutrients I was taking in. I did not and do not supplement calcium or potassium, but I do supplement the rest, as my regular intake is obviously deficient.

The more tired I was, I would get excruciating radiating bone pain from the center of my leg bones... This has stopped now.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    This will fit with another challenge I'm in.

Sep 1: 206.8
    Sep 8: 206
    Sep 15: 205

Not much progress so far. 3 day water fast scheduled for next week.
  • washingtonhannah
    washingtonhannah Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Had my first Crossfit class this morning! I've been IF 16:8 so I was fasted during the morning and I was totally fine! My first meal was at around 11:45am.

ALSO I weighed in this morning after two weeks: -8.8lbs! WOOT! I've been measuring my breath and I'm definitely in Ketosis so I'm super excited!

21.2 more lbs to go!

SW: 140
    CW: 131.2
    GW: 110
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sept 1: 279
    Sept 8: 273.6 (-5.4lbs)
    Sept 15: 273.6 (0 lbs)
    Sept 22:
    Sept 29:

Woah I missed last week's check in, probably because I had nothing to report. That happens to me often, no movement for a week or two after a big loss. I don't expect much of a change this week either. Ah well!
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    Had my first Crossfit class this morning! I've been IF 16:8 so I was fasted during the morning and I was totally fine! My first meal was at around 11:45am.

ALSO I weighed in this morning after two weeks: -8.8lbs! WOOT! I've been measuring my breath and I'm definitely in Ketosis so I'm super excited!

21.2 more lbs to go!

SW: 140
    CW: 131.2
    GW: 110

Good for you!!!
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    Sat. check-in:
    9/2 173
    9/9 170.4
    The challenge helped me say no to temptations!
    Still need to up exercise - My goal is 3/week. Getting a walk in today - it is a beautiful day here today.

Prayers for Florida and Texas! How are you doing??

Sharon

Sat. Update:
    9/2 173
    9/9 170.4
    9/16 171

Down 2 lbs total - Had a bad day and felt terrible after. I am back on track, and putting it behind me! I feel so much better on Keto. It is beautiful today...walking is on my list! Have a nice weekend all!

9/2 173
    9/9 170.4
    9/16 171
    9/23 168.6

Exercised (lightly), and controlled snacking after supper. The exercise makes me feel wonderful...why have I been procrastinating it? Not a perfect week, but better! Also have been having lemon water in the evening...feel like it helps with bloating. I am so inspired by your successes! Have an awesome weekend, keto buddies! Please share how you are doing, and encourage each other! xoxoxo
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

9/22: 224.2
    9/29:

Thanks for all the tips and advice on the leg cramps! I also did some research and decided to try magnesium supplements because I was getting plenty of sodium and potassium in the electrolyte drinks I was making. I bought some magnesium citrate and found that 300mg, 100mg/3 times a day, got rid of the cramps and pain. I'm trying to add more potassium and magnesium rich foods in my diet so that I can stop taking the supplements. I am so happy the pain in gone. It was making every day miserable.

• washingtonhannah
    Options
    Sooo kind of weird but I've been super bloated these past couple of days!!

I have had cabbage slaw for a few days so I thought it might be that...but just checking to see if anyone else has experienced bloating or if anyone has antibloat suggestions :smile:
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Last week was meh. I didn't eat well (enough) at all, injured my leg, and with all the stress waiting to hear from family in Puerto Rico & Dominican Republic was way too stressed. I have inflammation going on. I decided to just take it easy and spend the weekend letting my body rest and restore. I woke up feeling better today and was able to walk again. With all the mess going on last week I managed to put on an entire lb. WHAT?! I'm not going to stress that. I managed to have a crazy week, and NOT eat the entire house. Also, I took 3/4" off my waist, so I'm claiming that my NSV. :smile:

9/11: 239.2 -1.8
    9/18: 233.0 -6.2 (Had a couple extra lbs thx to lady cycle bloat :| )
    9/25: 234.0 +1
    10/1:

ETA: I stopped drinking coffee. Well, caffeinated coffee anyway. I didn't like how tired I felt on days when I don't drink any.
  • kristenhuckaby
    kristenhuckaby Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    2 weeks and 2 days in at this point (keto and 16/8 IF) - lost 8.6# through Monday but the scale hasn't moved (at all - not even a 1/10th) since - frustrated :( I've tried other diets and WOE previously & this is honestly the worst 2 week loss of them all.