SEPT. Challenge, already???

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
Sorry I am late posting this, the time got away from me.

My goals are:
To keep maintaining.
Finding more physical activities I can and want to do at the fitness center.

Replies

• Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I will continue to rebuild strength in my legs and glutes following my hip replacement surgery. I am close to 100% now.

I will also be maintaining my weight as I continue to build muscle
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Rick, those are great goals. Wishing you well on your recovery from the replacement surgery. It is fine line between hurting and rebuilding when it comes to those.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yep, September 1, and I certainly need some goals. Right now I can only commit to two with confidence:

(1) check in every day on MFP
    (2) walk every day for a minimum of 30 minutes

~ Kathy
  • mkramarz
    mkramarz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track is my #1 Goal for Sept
    To do that I will log into MFP daily
    AND
    Get on my bike 3 times a week...
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Rick, those are great goals. Wishing you well on your recovery from the replacement surgery. It is fine line between hurting and rebuilding when it comes to those.

@retirehappy , I am being careful, but I am also pushing it. Had the surgery 7 weeks ago. I have had an excellent recovery according to my doctor. Loading the legs and glutes slowly. I am to be 100% back by the end of September
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Thanks for joining us ladies.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed, September.
    Fortunately for me, I am not tempted by Pumpkin Spice Coffee topped with whipped cream.
    I'm am reformatting myself to Thinking I'm Already Thin. I hope my jeans are paying attention.

B)

tiby352y0h91.jpg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    My challenge is to plan meals ahead for busy days. I seem to always eat healthy when I have healthy things in the house, but that means planning and shopping ahead, which I don't do when I am tired. I'll handle this problem by planning a flexible menu and grocery list for the week before I get tired.
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,115 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone: just started up again on MFP late last month, and was successful at entering my diary (only missed 2 days) & really worked on portion control. Yep, my portions have been very generous, to say the least! Surprisingly,my protein portions were too small ... go figure! Still have a way to go with the portion sizes.

This month's challenge is to work on reducing the binge eating and really stupid snacks just before going to bed. DH is still working so sometimes he is off to bed a little before me, and of course it is game on & I hit the kitchen. Even if I have yogurt & fruits it is still putting me over my daily menu! I would like to 'think' about trying to lose weight this month, but one really bad binge per week really impacts on any success. Oh well, small steps.

So, no eating after 9pm!

Good luck everyone for a really good week! Cheers, Marian
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this thread - glad I found this group! My challenge this month will be to be more mindful about meal planning, and work on preparing more meals at home. I don't really like to cook and my husband does, but he works retail and often isn't home in the evenings, and I would like to challenge myself to put together simple home-cooked meals for those days so there will be something fresh for him to eat when he gets home. :)

~Marti
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Glad to see all the challengers here. Good luck to everyone. Be sure to report back on your goals progress.

I am working on finding classes at the fitness center, got the schedules, just have to find times that will work for me.

Mariang165, closing the kitchen after a certain time is a very good idea. Late night snacking is the worst for a dieter.

Corinasue1143, meal planning helps, you can shop and have things on hand even if you get off schedule.

mph323, there are lots of threads about meals and recipes on MFP. Allrecipes.com is also a good place to get ideas. Home cooking can be a great hobby.
  • Mariang165
    Options
    Quick update, up to yesterday I only had 3 of 13 nights where I ate after 9pm! Wait, don't get too excited for me, unfortunately, on another 3 days I ended binge eating on cookies, too much cheese and/or peanuts earlier in the evening. I accept that this is my challenge and am 'trying' to look on the bright side and focusing on the fact that am improving!

Let's see if I can improve for the second half of the month! Cheers, Marian
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Mid-month and how am I doing?
    (1) I have checked in every day this month, ka-ching!
    (2) I met or exceeded my 30 minute daily walking goal on 9 of the first 14 days of the month. I walked one day but didn't hit the goal, and missed four days.

Not part of my official goal but, I have started once again weighing and measuring and writing down my food for five days, and hope to be able to keep this going.

Great to be back on MFP again, I am feeling hopeful.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Mariang165 wrote: »
    Quick update, up to yesterday I only had 3 of 13 nights where I ate after 9pm! Wait, don't get too excited for me, unfortunately, on another 3 days I ended binge eating on cookies, too much cheese and/or peanuts earlier in the evening. I accept that this is my challenge and am 'trying' to look on the bright side and focusing on the fact that am improving!

Let's see if I can improve for the second half of the month! Cheers, Marian

You are doing well, work towards progress not perfection. Hoping you see even more progress in the second part of the month.

@mxchana, great to have you back. You are doing well, and I like the other tasks you have chosen to do, they will only help your focus.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Making attempts to continue to ME first, ( as long as I am not offending anyone ) Keep up with meal planning. That's a big challenge all it self !!
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    I'm currently mostly on-track with no having any carbs at dinner.
    We had leftover spaghetti last night but I had salad for lunch so I figure it balanced out.

I've seen that some people eat only 10g of carbs per day. How is that even possible, I wonder...

• retirehappy
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    I'm currently mostly on-track with no having any carbs at dinner.
    We had leftover spaghetti last night but I had salad for lunch so I figure it balanced out.

I've seen that some people eat only 10g of carbs per day. How is that even possible, I wonder...

They only eat leafy green vegetables or just a few nuts a day. I am currently into 25th hour for a planned 48 hr. fast, so zero carbs for me since starting and it will be 0 for the rest of this day until tomorrows breakfast of bacon and eggs with a tomato from the garden as my carb.

At some point it comes down to "I want to eat whatever and live with whatever happens to my health & fitness" or "I don't want to be a helpless old person, sick and tired all the time, I will find a way of eating that works for me and stick to it. If that means less giving up some foods/treats, so be it." I finally reached that point last summer and this summer, I am at my goal weight, actually a few lbs. below it. I am more healthy than I was 10 yrs. ago. I am also no longer prediabetic on my A1C tests. My sweet spots seems to be about 40 grams, not net grams, to not gain or lose and not bump up BS. I have faced the fact I have insulin resistance, and my genes show I have a strong probability of getting T2D as well as being obese.

So I put my big girl pants on and went keto, then worked my way to LCHF. I had tried a lower carb diet The Zone for years, I would lose and then regain all the weight. Too much carbs, I was hungry all the time because it was too little fat in my diet, I was never satisfied. I am not hungry all day anymore either. My triglycerides and HDL have not been this good in over 20 years.
  • CrisEBTrue
    edited September 2017
    Options

[/quote]

They only eat leafy green vegetables or just a few nuts a day. [/quote]

I am a 67 year old fat diabetic so I guess I can't criticize other people's choices, but that doesn't sounds like a healthy, balanced diet. o:)

Maybe I'm kidding myself for feeling that I've given up a lot of foods, but eating only green vegetables and a few nuts would not work for me.

My inner thin person feels this way about that:

mm5so99hj07b.jpg

• CrisEBTrue
    edited September 2017
    Options

deleted because the other reply posted twice.
  • Mariang165
    Options
    Happy to report that I seemed to have got improved control over my late night snacking the second half of this month! Only ate after 9pm 3 times and 1 of those times was still within my daily calorie count! Also, a slight improvement in not transferring this late night snacking into late afternoon snacking! Lately I seem to REALLY want to eat around 4:30pm, which is frustrating as we usually eat dinner about 6:30! Tried a few peanuts but that was a disaster, went back for more! Looked at my lunches and they had lots of protein ... have been trying to have crunchy veggies at lunch too! Any suggestions are welcome! Cheers Marian