Postpartum Chat

Options
VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
Do you ladies mind if I start a thread like this? I figure we will all be here eventually what with everyone actively ttc. I thought maybe I'd share some of my postpartum experiences. I kind of feel like I need to talk about them and this is my safe place.

Replies

• SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Great idea Katie! I look forward to following the discussion and hopefully there are many of us that'll also get to join in the conversation in the next 10-12 months :)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I agree, great idea!

I think it'd be interesting to hear yours and others experiences so I'll definitely be following along.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    <3 I love that this is your safe place, Katie! I feel like some of you are truly real friends to me. Please share your PP experiences, we are always here for you, whatever stage you are in.
  • VeryKatie
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So it seems I have a chance to be on here right now as Keith isn't fussing about me tapping away.

My number one tip for being pregnant and having a new born. Do. Not. Do. A. Big. Project.
    I super regret starting the backyard project in my third trimester. It's making everything so stressful and it's still not done and I feel like Chris never sees Keith and that makes me sad. And it makes me sad that Chris seems like he is okay with how much he sees his son. How does he not miss him more!? Also we are bleeding money and I don't like that. I want to be saving money.

I also am finding I really miss Chris. It's weird being home during the day without him as I associate time at home with time with Chris.

So for post partum talk...

I am going to try pumping today for the first time and am really nervous. I'm afraid I'm going to get my period back because of it and that Keith won't take back my boob after.

I am already feeling guilty about not being able to spend as much time with baby number 2 as I have with Keith and we don't even want to try for another year (probably more).

Breastfeeding is more stressful than I thought it would be. And it's not free. Spent so much on clothes and bras. My boobs go up to a GG now when they're full. I used to be an E cup and I hated how big I was then. I'm going to buy Naked Tanks for winter so I can just wear my normal sweaters.

However, oddly loving my new curves. I have a squishier more poochy tummy and bigger boobs and I feel like even my hips and ribs changed shape. I feel very voluptuous. I am lucky breastfeeding and tracking without weighing most food is sufficient help lose weight. My clothes still don't fit even though I technically lost the weight. So I may have to maintain a lower weight now if I want to not buy everything.

I also cry a lot now. I've been keeping an eye on myself for ppd and don't think I'm there. But I definitely have sad days (which tend to coincide with bad sleep days for keith). I also think that having no free time or times when my body is just mine wears me down too.

But of course my baby is so wonderful. I don't regret having him at all and I'm still so excited to see who he will be as he get older but I'm also like "stop growing up so fast!!!"

Funny thing I noticed! I have a friend and some neighbours from Asia. I didn't realize they didn't know Caucasian babies are born with gray blue eyes that then change. I've had several friends ask what colour his eyes are and are surprised when I say blue but we don't know what they'll be yet. I think they'll go brown though. I guess I didn't consider that most babies in the world are born with brown eyes that stay brown. You're so used to what you're used to, am I right? Thought it was cute.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    mtci9zi5nvzn.jpg
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    53o3azaw8im0.jpg
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    I think that is super great advice about not starting a big project. I get overwhelmed easily when I am sick or tired, even grocery shopping or the smallest decisions can cause me way more stress than they should at those times. You’d think I learned not to put myself in these situations anymore, but here we are. I would totally do a big remodel in trimester three.

Is the garden project almost over? What has been keeping Chris so busy? I’m glad that you have this time with Keith! I think I will be just like you, and missing the time that hasn’t even passed yet like what you said about missing this time with your second baby. Im sentimental and a softie too. <3
    I’d write more but I’m at work, I’ll check back in after I’ve put my thoughts together better. Lots of love to you, take care of yourself! :)
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oh. How lovely. <3
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    OMG Katie, I have no idea how but I missed the pictures you posted of Keith! He is absolutely adorable and makes my heart ache for a little bit of my own. Just too cute for words! <3<3<3<3
  • VeryKatie
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Welp. Did something today I never thought I'd do. I tried to put Keith in his crib for a nap today and it didn't work so he became over tired. I was not feeling well because... too many cookies yesterday lol... He was screaming and I had to go to the bathroom... so I... bounced him on my lap on the toilet. Omg. But I couldn't wait and I couldn't let him scream for as long as I suspected I would need.

He is now sleeping on my boob again. The only place I can get him to nap it seems. Everyone in the house gets to sleep except me these days. Bah.

Oh! One thing I am loving is having time to read again! I've been downloading ebooks from the library onto my phone and reading while Keith eats. I read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and I read... umm.. omg what. What did i read... holy smokes short memory.

Eta it was big little lies by Liane Moriarty.

Anyway I'm now reading girl on the train. Which I actually have a paper copy of but you need 2 hands to read an actual book but only one for the phone. And lots of time Keith traps one of my arms.
  • Alioth
    Options
    Lool. You gotta do what you gotta do. Oh man, I can't wait to read with my baby. Someday!
  • VeryKatie
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Things not to do when putting baby down for a nap:

1) Make a noise when you inevitably yawn.
    2) Sniff or cough.
    3) Once you find the perfect rocking-bouncing combo that is working for your baby at that moment, change it.
    4) Put them down too fast.
    5) Put them down too slow.
    6) Breathe on their face while putting them down (while keeping an eye on if their eyes open).
    7) Get your rings caught on the fitted sheet while slowly pulling your hands out from under them.
    8) Pull on their hair while pulling your hand from under their head (90% of said hair grows at the base of the head right where you hold them).
    9) Have any of their skin stick to yours.
    10) Step on a creaky part of the floor after putting them down.
    11) Close the door too loud.
    12) Touch the one button on your phone (yes, they can hear that).
    13) Let their arms or legs drop too fast when taking away the support of your body.
    14) Put them down too soon.
    15) Put them down too late.

Just some tips that I've found out hahah.
  • VeryKatie
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Getting him started on those healthy habits now.

cjzchiiaw8pc.jpg

(Also I would like to mention that the rattle says "0.2" on the end hahaha)
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    HAHAH, those pictures are amazing. As are your pointers for putting babies down for naps.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Katie, love the pictures and the tips! :) Thanks for sharing!
  • VeryKatie
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Rant time...

Husbands/fathers are nearly useless. Or at least mine is.

Keith used to go up to 8 hours between feedings at night. So since he's gaining so much weight the Dr said I don't have to feed him every time he wakes up (in fact it's not good if I do).

Keith woke up with 4:17 since his last feed. Husband changed and rocked till 4:40 since last feed and refused to try more claiming he'd been rocking for 30 mins (40-17-5=17 mins). He made me get up to feed our super relaxed baby (if they're hungry they cry). I rock this kid up to 11 times a day for 25-30 mins sometimes.

All this after 2 nights in a row of not helping because going out with friends and sports are more important. Oh and joy his useless family (so useless they won't even touch keith) is coming tomorrow and Chris is planning to spend hours in the hot tub (yay a third evening in a week of no help). Keith is 50% his but he just shirks his responsibilities so much. And hockey again on friday. So it's literally going to only be 3 nights of help this week and he f-ing gave up and walked away.

I'm so angry and exhausted. It's been 3.5 months of this. I feel like I'm going to have to be the bad guy and make him quit sports. Chris won't even give me an hour so I can exercise. He's all talk.

And bonus I feel bad for ranting.
  • Alioth
    Options
    Your rules for putting baby down are hilarious! Um...that stinks about the hubs and Keith. Maybe you should sit down together and write out a weekly schedule? If he won't help, maybe you could threaten to have your mother or a friend come stay with you and help with baby or something. At least pencil in your own hottub time. Cuz girl, you've earned some downtime.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @VeryKatie that sounds so frustrating!! He has to step up. Can you talk to him about your frustrations this weekend? Tell him you want more balanced allotment of "me" time between the two of you? You deserve to workout every once in a while and to have a moment to yourself! How many sports does he play? That would seriously drive me nuts! I hope you can talk to him about it. I'm SURE he will be understanding of where you're coming from!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    @VeryKatie Those pictures are adorable and I found the tips amusing! As for your other post, don't feel bad about ranting. It's what we are here for! It's good to get that stuff out. I think the ladies already covered everything else but it's clear that something has to change. You didn't make that baby by yourself and I hope things get better soon!
  • VeryKatie
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi ladies. So I did end up talking to Chris about it. And he is helping lots now. Though still sportsing. Which is something we talked about before Keith came around and I just feel differently about. He did drop one hockey team.

Honestly... I have a few signs of PP Depression or PP Anxiety so I think that's why I might have been spiraling a bit more than usual. The insomnia comes once in a while and sometimes I think about abandoning either just Chris or both Chris and Keith. And then one scary thought while I was taking a bath. Plus also being super nervous to go anywhere with Keith on my own unless I have to. I've been hermitting in my house. I find I don't even like having people over unless Chris is here to help me take care of Keith. It's worse when I'm more sleep deprived. And finally feeling like it has to be me who takes care of Keith and having trouble relinquishing any kind of control.

But I contacted a friend who went through it and she has someone I can contact if I don't feel better soon (plus suggested I talk to my midwife). I haven't yet. But Chris is helping me keep and eye on it and he helps out every night (as in during the wee hours) now and has agreed to have people over more often vs. going out. And I'm going to try to go for a walk with Keith any nice days we have before winter.

The thing is it doesn't feel super oppressive or anything. I don't feel that way every day. It kind of comes and goes. So hopefully it's mild and will resolve as soon as Keith sleeps more. Luckily he randomly has learned to soothe in his crib as long as I restrain his hands and thighs (lol how nice of me) so it's easier to get him back to sleep now (used to have to rock him for up to 20 mins a time). If only he would connect his nap sleep cycles (currently he naps for 36 mins exactly every 2 hours which isn't enough time for me to fall asleep)... My sister said one of her children always took really short naps and eventually outgrew it though. So I have hope.

Also bonus. I FINALLY got Keith to drink 25 ml from a bottle. So maybe I will be able to get him to eat from a bottle properly and fully so that I can get out once a week for dodge ball while Chris takes care of him.