Why, Oh Why? (Frustrated, baffed rant - wordy)

Options
AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 32,292 Member
Bear with me.

I like to grocery shop with a hand basket when possible, not a cart. Today, I bought 1.5 gallons of milk, 1.5 pounds of cheese, some Tums, and a 6-pack of Voodoo Ranger 8 Hop Pale Ale ( ;) ).

Went to the 15 items line, laid down my reusable bag, my groceries, and the empty basket on the conveyor. Cashier put my bag on the holder, moved the basket to the 'out' stack, rang up & packed the bag, muscled it up onto the counter and said, all concerned-like, "Are you sure you can carry this?"

This exact thing happens to me over and over and over: Young cashiers, old cashiers, different stores, etc.

But why? Underestimating the li'l ol' lady? Simple lack of logic? I don't get it. Over and over, I swear.

For the record, my usual response: "Well, it got up here in the basket, so I think I'm OK, thanks." And if further pressed, friendly grin and "Li'l ol' lady goes to the gym for a reason!"

LOL!

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,948 Member
    Options
    That funny... No-one ever asks me if I need help carrying my groceries... I don't understand!!
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You're a living testament to living a healthy lifestyle. Congratulations!
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you wear a sleeveless shirt while shopping, they might not ask to help
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    wow. I hate that.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Someone asked me recently if I could manage the stairs??? What??? I’m only 53 ... I replied in a gracious manner & said “ yes I think I can” then a grin :# .
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,948 Member
    Options
    Ugh!! No wipers are the worst!!

That sounds like an excellent NSV, @tennetubbie !!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I was at the gym doing weights, and this guy half my age was grunting and groaning (for Pete's sake---lift less and be quiet) doing incline leg press with 4x45 on the bar. He does 4 sets of 8 and then gets off--NO WIPE DOWN--and starts doing bicep curls looking in the mirror. I asked if he was finished with the weights--as I started to wipe the seat. "Oh yes,, I'll help you take some of the weight off SWEETIE!"
    SWEETIE??? I'm not some octagenarian eating pudding..."All done sweetie??"
    "No!" I say "I'm adding more actually--I'm starting at 360 go to 500"
    :"You can push 500?"
    "I'm up to 560 actually--but my trainer prefers he be with me over 500"
    He actually watched me doing it!!! 12 reps I couldn't help but quip, "Not your average little old lady, eh?"

Love that! *Love*. :)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    People are so wierd. If you hauled it up to the cash register, I guess you can haul it to the car. There is some idea that people over 50 are frail. I was at a wedding last weekend and was helping my friend the Mom of Bride move some stuff. There was a box of dishes. "That's too heavy!" she said. "I got it, " I said, and I did. I could have carried it a lot further, too, if the box wasn't helf together by hopes and dreams. Luckily it was only a few feet because that was a useless box. I sometimes limp because I have a balky knee but I can still manage things. You would think I was ready for the rocking chair. If I had waited for the young people to move stuff we would still be waiting for the wedding to start.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Mostly they are not used to seeing people use the baskets, as some people use the carts to lean on and help them get through the store.
    Congrats on your gym success :mrgreen:
  • Mccmack
    Options
    Was walking in the gym the other day and there was a pretty young lady sitting on the bench outside the door. I walk with a limp because my hip is sore. Before I got to the door, she jumped up and ran to open the door for me. I said , 'Thank you', and she said 'Have a great workout'. I took it as an act of kindness and appreciated it. Some of the stories on this thread are great, but there is a difference between young people being kind and young people being wise *kitten*. AnnPT77, you are ripped, I can tell by your picture. I think that is awesome. I have been lifting weights for a while and have found that the stronger I get, the less pain I have. If they persist iin trying to help you AnnPT77, show them your guns.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Mccmack wrote: »
    Was walking in the gym the other day and there was a pretty young lady sitting on the bench outside the door. I walk with a limp because my hip is sore. Before I got to the door, she jumped up and ran to open the door for me. I said , 'Thank you', and she said 'Have a great workout'. I took it as an act of kindness and appreciated it. Some of the stories on this thread are great, but there is a difference between young people being kind and young people being wise *kitten*. AnnPT77, you are ripped, I can tell by your picture. I think that is awesome. I have been lifting weights for a while and have found that the stronger I get, the less pain I have. If they persist iin trying to help you AnnPT77, show them your guns.

You're too kind!

I'm just a happy li'l ol' lady rower who tries to stay active. I was surprised, when I dropped weight after 10+ years of regular rowing as an obese woman, that there was a bit of muscle buried under the fat, unbalanced though it may be. ;)

Truly, the thing about the supermarket scenario that makes exclamation points appear around my head, cartoon-strip style, is not my age, but the basket. The *basket*: LOL!

And yes, me, too: More strength, more fitness, healthier weight ==> less pain. Much less pain.

If more people our age could have a few days' visceral experience of how stronger, healthier, more active, and lighter really feels . . . more people our age would become permanently stronger, healthier, more active and lighter, I'm convinced. Theory is unpersuasive.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    Amen. I know, look at the basket you stupid kittens. A guy I know from the past came into the gym a few weeks ago. He is over 60, not sure his exact age. Drives a Harley with a leather sleeveless coat. The guy is huge, if I had to guess, he can bench 400 pounds. He told me he wants to be stronger than his son. He is still stronger than his son. I'm pretty strong, but this guy makes me feel tiny. I hear what you are saying, if you want to be healthy, get yourself healthy. I think being an example is the best you can do. Words can be less powerful.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know, it's part of the training of the store staff, they have to offer it to everyone as part of their jobs. Seriously. Some of my daughter's friends had jobs in Publix (the major chain down here) and they all had to do that.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    Just to let you know, it's part of the training of the store staff, they have to offer it to everyone as part of their jobs. Seriously. Some of my daughter's friends had jobs in Publix (the major chain down here) and they all had to do that.

Is it part if the training to argue with me? Because some of them kinda do. Honestly, the body language and facial expressions suggest isn't just pro forma. They're surprised/worried. It maybe isn't even mostly ageism, either, I think. It's that hardly anyone around here (any age or condition) will hand-carry a bag to their car if the bag weighs more than 5 pounds or so.

None of this makes me feel affronted - just amused.

I had one cashier last week who got about 3 words of the usual thing out of her mouth, then interrupted herself to smile and say "oh, wait - the basket!" It was refreshing. :)
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Is it part if the training to argue with me? Because some of them kinda do. Honestly, the body language and facial expressions suggest isn't just pro forma. They're surprised/worried. It maybe isn't even mostly ageism, either, I think. It's that hardly anyone around here (any age or condition) will hand-carry a bag to their car if the bag weighs more than 5 pounds or so.

I had one cashier last week who got about 3 words of the usual thing out of her mouth, then interrupted herself to smile and say "oh, wait - the basket!" It was refreshing. :)

Some of them might just want to take a walk and a break from bagging? Down here in the heat of summer, the baggers are grateful when I tell them I've got it.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Some of them might just want to take a walk and a break from bagging? Down here in the heat of summer, the baggers are grateful when I tell them I've got it.

They don't do carry-outs here at all anymore . . . at least not without an explicit request from the customer for that service, in any of the half-dozen or so big groceries I visit regularly. I know of none that do it, in fact. They put your bag(s) in a shopping cart for you to push out and load into your own car. (Northern US - Great Lakes state). I hand-carry instead, if at all possible.