Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Gutzy, you are fast!
    I missed getting my laps in yesterday due to a work meeting, but I'm hopeful for the rest of this week because lessons start Monday, so lane availability will be slim, starting next week...
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Mix up here on appointment meant I missed out on swim today. :(
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    First swim in two weeks. Got back home from Germany last night so thought I'd better get back to it!!

4700m including 1000m kick and 1000m pull. (Did the age x 100m birthday swim.)
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Got my mile in, plus 4 laps to round it out at 40. Not very fast, but I noticed my legs were part of the party, so that felt good.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles this morning. 5am swim again after a couple travel recovery days and swimming mid day.
    A little slower yesterday and today. 1:54/100yd average.
    Today I forced myself to breathe every 5th stroke instead of every 3. It went pretty well and kept it up for most of my lest 3000 yards. Doubt I could do that for sprint laps though. Still, it shows me that my conditioning has improved.
  • loneda
    loneda Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    1700 after almost a week off after getting sick on Sunday. It was great to get back in the water. I really noticed my stress level going up without a morning swim. But by the end of today's swim I was feeling dizzy on flip turns, and I felt queasy all morning.

I'll be back on the horse tomorrow, though (back in the lane?) and hope my equilibrium will be back.
  • loneda
    Options
    1650 and no more dizziness!
  • loneda
    Options
    5000m today. That is the most I've ever done as an adult.

My plan was to do 3200 including a set of 5×200 IMs. I did that and decided to get to 3500. Then I decided to get to 4000. It kept going like that. It was one of those rare times when I was into it both physically and mentally.

I am very appreciative of this thread and the distance swimmers who post on it. Seeing your yardage every day is the reason I felt that I could achieve this distance.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Wow, loneda! Wow! I haven't seemed to have the time or stamina to get farther than 53 laps, and that was a one-off. But I know what you mean about being in it mentally and physically. I try to get a mile in before my deep water class. If there's extra time, I find myself rounding up to 40 laps. Then one more, as fishgutzy says, and from there, well, I know how you can keep setting little goals until the end result is great. Well done!

I went yesterday after work and did an easy 25 laps. I had a run in the morning, so the swim was more about sticking to the routine and stretching out in water.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    loneda wrote: »
    5000m today. That is the most I've ever done as an adult.

My plan was to do 3200 including a set of 5×200 IMs. I did that and decided to get to 3500. Then I decided to get to 4000. It kept going like that. It was one of those rare times when I was into it both physically and mentally.

I am very appreciative of this thread and the distance swimmers who post on it. Seeing your yardage every day is the reason I felt that I could achieve this distance.

Awesome. Amazing break through.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Wow, loneda! Wow! I haven't seemed to have the time or stamina to get farther than 53 laps, and that was a one-off. But I know what you mean about being in it mentally and physically. I try to get a mile in before my deep water class. If there's extra time, I find myself rounding up to 40 laps. Then one more, as fishgutzy says, and from there, well, I know how you can keep setting little goals until the end result is great. Well done!

I went yesterday after work and did an easy 25 laps. I had a run in the morning, so the swim was more about sticking to the routine and stretching out in water.

For me, the key was pushing through the wall my mind and body tried to put in my way.
    When your body is saying "enough" try to push through. Think of it as just one now lap.
  • ryenday
    Options
    1 mile
    uvqsx2z7tcur.png
  • loneda
    Options
    @ryenday was this the event you've been training for? How was it? Great pic!
  • ryenday
    Options
    Why, yes it was! The swim went well- as expected I was the last one in the pool - I am slow - but I completed my mile in 55:07 so less than the 60 minutes allotted. I lost about 5 minutes off my usual time (I think because I tried to wait at the wall quite often for the other swimmers in my lane to pass - I usually have my own lane).

The before swim part of fundraiser was good, and I got to meet Quinn ( the dog down front of the picture) the Baylor Hospital service dog and cancer survivor. Quinn’s job is literally to make people smile. And quite honestly, he deserves a medal because I do not believe anyone couldn’t help but smile at him. He’s huge, maybe 250 lb. And gentle and he loves the attention. A special fellow!

The actual swim went well, but I do think I’m even more grateful for my non standard size, slightly too hot, but always have your own lane local pool! Lol.

Post swim... odd. Even tho the schedule we were given had 10:45 to 11:00 —Thanks and Acknowledgements - well when I finished (at 10:38) everyone had left. My lane counter and the lifeguard were the only people from the Swim Across America people and they left before I even could haul my butt out of the pool. Don’t know where or when they packed up the water bottles and fruit I had been looking forward to. So, I don’t actually know what to think.

Still, I’m glad I swam the mile and was last out, rather than be one of the .5 mile people ( who probably were able to get fruit and water) - because for me a .5 mile just wouldn’t have been a ‘swim’ worthy of asking folks to ‘sponsor’ me.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    2.5 k this morning
  • loneda
    Options
    1800 today.

@ryenday They should have given you and all participants standing ovations as you finished! Maybe there will be some way to give some feedback to the organizers. Still, you did something awesome both with raising money and with completing the swim.

I can relate to what you said about the fruit-- about once a month my gym has a fruit bowl and I am so darn excited to know I can get an orange after I swim.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    2400m

200 warmup

4x 100 as 50 back 50 free on 2.00

Two sets of
    200 free on 3.30
    4x50 kick on 1.15
    2x100 free on 1.45
    4x50 pull on 1.00

200 warmdown

Feeling very unfit after my holiday!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Our Pool re-opens Today after a month long maintenance cycle.
    Now what should I do tonight after work?? Swim, Run or Both.
  • ryenday
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @juliet3455 Well, I vote for swimming, but wild horses couldn’t drag me running, lol so I might be a tad biased?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles today. Seems Monday is my fastest day. It is after all, the first day after a weekend of doing yard work or deck painting.
    Monday averaged 1:51/100yd.
    Today was 1:56/100yd.