Sudden onset of cravings!

Options
amyrising
amyrising Posts: 39 Member
I started my keto journey again 2 weeks ago. I was just starting to feel great and BAM! The cravings hit 2 days ago. I went back over my log for the last few days and saw that my new salad dressing has 1 gram of sugar per serving. My total for those 2 days was 6 grams of sugar. Is that what is causing the cravings?

Replies

• trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It could be, if you have cut out all sugars, and then introduced even small amounts it may have triggered the "sugar" cravings. What I have found helps when/if sugar cravings hits, is if I have a buttered coffee or a fat bomb, the sugar craving disappears. I don't know the science behind it, but I think the two are linked somehow. Not sure how it works, but I know for me fat chases away the desire for sugar. Hope this helps.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's possible that eating even that little sugar has effected your ketosis, and triggered cravings.
    Try cutting the salad dressing and increasing your fat for a few days and see if that helps. I find pickle juice cures cravings for me. Also if I really feel like I want something sweet, I'll have a Rootbeer Zevia (Stevia pop, no carbs).
  • amyrising
    Options
    Thanks! I will stop the dressing and increase the fats for now!
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i really like the tessame dressings [in refrigerated aisle]
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'll second the idea of possibly needing a hit of salt. I'm not one to regularly take in "X" amount so have made it option #1 when both unexplained hunger and cravings hit. Neither happens often but it does happen with me. YMMV.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? Cravings hit me when I'm ovulating and the day or two prior to or starting menstruation.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    amyrising wrote: »
    I started my keto journey again 2 weeks ago. I was just starting to feel great and BAM! The cravings hit 2 days ago. I went back over my log for the last few days and saw that my new salad dressing has 1 gram of sugar per serving. My total for those 2 days was 6 grams of sugar. Is that what is causing the cravings?

What kind of cravings are they, sweet, sour, or something else? Aside from the things mentioned by other people in this thread, sometimes cravings can be a sign that you are getting low on specific nutrients. If its not dehydration or sugar withdrawals then you might ask yourself what nutrients are in the food you are craving and try to find a low carb version that will satisfy the need.

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly open your diary so we could look for more clues?
  • amyrising
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? Cravings hit me when I'm ovulating and the day or two prior to or starting menstruation.

I had a hysterectomy several years ago but still have my ovaries. I always forget that. It is about that time for me. I have also been very hungry. I will try some salt. Thanks everyone!
  • amyrising
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »

What kind of cravings are they, sweet, sour, or something else? Aside from the things mentioned by other people in this thread, sometimes cravings can be a sign that you are getting low on specific nutrients. If its not dehydration or sugar withdrawals then you might ask yourself what nutrients are in the food you are craving and try to find a low carb version that will satisfy the need.

My cravings are for sweets/carbs. For years I've lived on sugar, carbs and caffeine. I have some medical conditions that cause extreme fatigue. Fast energy was crucial to my life of work and kids.
    I quit my job so I can get my diet under control and hopefully off 1/2 my medication.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My cravings seem to come and go. For weeks I had this crazy craving for a muffin, even before I wasn't a muffin eater. So I decided to make a low carb banana loaf. One slice and my cravings disappeared. Weird. Also, I find if I'm craving I will go hard on the protein. It generally seems to help. Even if I go a bit over that day.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

I had a hysterectomy several years ago but still have my ovaries. I always forget that. It is about that time for me. I have also been very hungry. I will try some salt. Thanks everyone!

Same here! I still have one ovary and find that I get mad cravings on the same time every month. It's easy to forget that that thing is in there and working.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I crave sugar when I'm tired; looking for quick energy I guess.

Have you been sleeping enough?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate like mad when my iron is low...I try to keep that from happening.
  • amyrising
    Options
    ScrAgnX wrote: »
    I crave sugar when I'm tired; looking for quick energy I guess.

Have you been sleeping enough?

I have sleep apnea so after getting my cpap (2 yrs ago) I sleep much better than before. I still wake up with the energy of a sloth, lol.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I would bet it's too little salt
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    how are the cravings now?
  • amyrising
    Options
    trish55011 wrote: »
    how are the cravings now?

My cravings are better but my energy is low low. I may need some added supplements. I take a hand full of pharmaceuticals 3 times a day (some more). I'm sure that doesn't help things. I am going to keep pushing on though. Thank you for asking!