Discouraged

catrainor
catrainor Posts: 12 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Week two of this journey. I became intrigued by the concept of Keto Diet watching a fellow co-worker work her but off (litterly 65lb-1 year) So when I began my weightless journey I decided I wanted to give it a try. Giving up carbs was a scary concept. But the first week I was very happy with a 7lb lose, this week not so much, 1lb. Very discouraged. I feel I have been watching myself closely. Is this a average weight lose? I have lost 1-2lbs decreasing my cal intake before, never cutting out one food group. Any thoughts/ideas?

Replies

• Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    So why are you discouraged?
  • catrainor
    Ok...I just had to edit post. It cut off have of it. Thought I would lose more than a 1lb.
  • amyrising
    amyrising Posts: 39 Member
    I had a week like that but then I turned around and lost 5 lbs. I find that if I'm not losing I cut back on my cheese intake and keep my carbs below 20 grams and it seems to correct itself. I hope others have some advice for You! Keep up the good work.
  • catrainor
    Do you mind me asking what grams do you keep your cal. Fat and protein at?
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    1-2 pounds per week is usually a pretty good goal... has a doctor told you to lose faster? If you're trying to lose faster than that, talk with your doc. The electrolyte swings that rapid weightloss (from any diet, not just low carb or keto) cause can be problematic.
  • catrainor
    No. I realize that 1-2 is a good goal. I lost that lowing my food intake across the board before. Not ever cutting out one food source. I did not feel as deprived then as I do now. Although I like that I have not eaten any processed food. I hate the thought of not having something.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    There's good workarounds for some things! I'm ecstatic about cheesecake. And there's delicious tortillas, for example.

Weight loss will slow due to water weight. Lest you have a very large amount to lose, you're losing at a fair rate.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    keep calm and keto on! It took me over a year to lose 22 lbs or so... (see my progress in my avatar picture). Stick with it and think about how much better you are feeling on lchf.
  • barbaraprudhomme
    barbaraprudhomme Posts: 12 Member
    I’ve also been very discouraged - I’ve been trying this for a couple of weeks with no results! I’m sure I’m doing something wrong - so don’t stress; you’re on the right path!! Please feel free to add me
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear, and water weight will make you think all the negative thoughts in the world.

LCHF/keto helps reduce the number of calories I eat, because I'm not as hungry. It helps me keep cravings at bay, and I think keeps the brain fog away. It doesn't make me lose weight more than calories in calories out.

After a few weeks I don't feel restricted leaving out a food group, because after a few weeks my body is happier not having all the junk that I pour in it doing strictly CICO. I may have eaten less garbage, but it was still nutrient poor crap that was lower calories because the healthier fat was replaced with sugar.

FWIW, that's why I am keeping up with LCHF/keto.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    I know it can be discouraging but you have to look at weight loss as a long term trend. If you are losing 1-2lbs a week consistently over time that is pretty good. Most people don't gain huge amounts of weight in short amounts of time so the reverse will just take time. Also focus on other things besides weight like clothes fitting better, brain fog lifting, energy increase, and improved moods.

I am 39lbs lost since early May of this year but I am more happy that I can finally fit into jean sizes I haven't been able to wear since 2003. I am slowly but surely reversing years of bad eating habits. I still have 20 stubborn pounds to go to hit my goal weight.

Also really look at the carb foods you are giving up, were they really healthy? Some can be quite addictive in nature and your body and mind will trick you into thinking you need them to get that fix.
  • tashat1976
    tashat1976 Posts: 23 Member
    I have been on the Keto lifestyle for 9 weeks and down 6 pounds. I too am frustrated. I am ready to give up. I may not be of much encouragement but feel free to add me. If anyone has suggestions all are welcome.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    I have los 32 lbs since July 3rd or 2.3 lbs per week. Not fast but steady. The main thing for me is I AM losing weight, am NOT hungry while losing and can do all my usual activities without fatigue. Also, unlike other diets, I am not constantly thinking about food. I do IMF - either 16hr (eat lunch and dinner) or 24 hr (only eat dinner). I love IMF and rotating between 16 n 24 hours I keep my body guessing. Keep trucking. The weeks will pass anyway and you will be surprised when you hit 3 months and are down 25+ pounds.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    You're only in week 2 of keto - many people take 4-6 weeks to be truly fat adapted. Give it time - keep calm and keto on. Are you testing ketones? Are you sure that your carbs are low enough and that you aren't eating too much protein? My instinct is to eat more proteins and not enough fat and i have to check MFP macros regularly to make sure i'm close to my targets.