October LC Basics Challenge 2017: Week 4 (10/22-10/31)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
Welcome to the October Basics Challenge!!!
I feel so strongly about how crucial this is, I'm having a Basics challenge every month.

Bah, basics! Entirely boring and unsexy, right?
Guess what though? It will get you to your goal. Basics aren't flashy or exciting, but this is how it's done.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Consistently nailing the basics is so important. And consistency creates good habits, routines, and gives you momentum that will carry you through hard times or disruptions to your normal schedule. Forget motivation. Motivation is a fickle thing. Discipline carries you through when motivation fails you.

So what are the basics?
Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important basics we need to lock in: staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
I'll keep links to the weekly threads at the bottom of the stickied post should the thread get buried. 2 clicks, to this post and the Weekly link, will get you back to it.

So go ahead and post your goals in this Thread.
My daily post would look something like this.

Wed 10/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
No booze!: :+1:
8/8

But this is your show. So focus on your basics.

Make this month count! Tear it up!:+1:

Replies

• ascloudsgoby
    ascloudsgoby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    10-22 to 10-31
    Goals are this week to:

To reach my calorie goal, log and submit daily.
    Pack and bring food with me while I play mom taxi.
    Drink All My Water (ugh, that's hard for me)
    Meet my Fitbit goals of 12,000 steps a day.
    Add a new recipe for dinner this week meeting my carb and protein goal.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My goals are similar to last week:

:+1: No Alcohol
    :+1: No Sugar Free Chocolate
    :+1: 16:8 Intermittent Fasting
    :+1: 20 mins Intentional Exercise
    :+1: Water Intake > 2L

A good day!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Sun 10/22:
    Logged: t98155.gif
    Water: t98155.gif
    Electrolytes: t98155.gif
    Calorie Goal: t98155.gif
    Carb Goal: t98155.gif
    Exercise: Rest day as planned t98155.gif
    Prelogged next day: t98155.gif
    No booze!: t98155.gif
    8/8
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Sunday 10/22

Was traveling all day so failed spectacularly on all counts except calories and carbs, because I didn’t eat anything.

Today, however, it’s 5pm and I already have 18k steps in with carbs and cals so far on point. So I’m feeling a little better, although still super swollen from flying. Does that happen to anyone else?
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    @Ringbearer2 Yes, that happens to me every time I fly. It usually takes me about 5 days to feel normal again.

10/20-10/22
    Planning and packing breakfast/lunch the night before - eh so so
    Start using Fitbit again - Worked out AND helped mother in law pack & load her moving van
    Logging my entire day's food in the morning - eh so so
    80 oz water daily - Yes
    Vitamins daily (especially weekends) - Yes
    Accomplish one put off household task daily - Cleaned the mini blinds
    Be more patient with others - See above with MIL move LOL

• baconslave
    Options
    Mon 10/23:
    Exercise: Strength, KBs and dumbbells t98155.gif
    8/8

• baconslave
    Options
    LaurieElla wrote: »
    Hey y'all .. I"m new to here ... getting BACK to the basics so I can finally lose this horrendous weight. I will be focusing on logging, water, and low carbs! So far so good TODAY (As I just saw this thread!)

Cant wait to do this with y'all!!! Add me as friends, become my besties .. I need support!! :) lol

Request sent!
  • baconslave
    Options
    carving-pumpkin.gif
    Just because I'm in that kind of mood. :lol:
  • rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

How do I track electrolytes?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    How do I track electrolytes?

They are going to track automatically based on the food entries you select. If you want them to show up on your diary page automatically to keep tabs on them (on the website though not the app): go to "settings" in MFP then "change diet profile/fitness" (worded something like that). Select "sodium" and/or "potassium" as one of your categories to show up on your diary page. You can alter the amounts (goals) via clicking on "goals".

The website and app have so darn many differences. Fortunately I can easily hop back and forth depending upon what I want to see. I like the app for monitoring "Nutrition" and the website for micros/macros.

Anyway: sodium is really only accurate/semi accurate if you enter every dash (or whatever) of salt you put on your food, in your electrolyte drinks, etc but you can get a decent idea. Some database entries have the sodium content entered for a food and some do not.

Potassium is even less reliable. US packaging labels have not required potassium on the "Nutrition Facts" but potassium will be required effective July of 2018. It will be interesting to see how things get updated in MFP.

I currently don't monitor either on my diary page but have tracked/monitored both off and on.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    10/23
    Planning and packing breakfast/lunch the night before - :)
    Start using Fitbit again - :neutral: fewer steps than I'd like on my work at home day
    Logging my entire day's food in the morning :)
    80 oz water daily :)
    Vitamins daily (especially weekends) :neutral: Forgot my calcium/magnesium
    Accomplish one put off household task daily :(
    Be more patient with others :)

• shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    October 22
    Logged: :)
    Water: :)
    Calorie Goal: :)
    Carb Goal: :/
    Exercise: Rest Day
    Pack Lunch for next day: :)
    Supplements: :(

October 23
    Logged: :)
    Water: :)
    Calorie Goal: :)
    Carb Goal: :/
    Exercise: WOD :)
    Pack Lunch for next day: :)
    Supplements: :(
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Started the week with a 90 minute hike Sunday so I'm still doing better. Got a good bit of exercise last week as well. :)
  • BlowPopKisses
    BlowPopKisses Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for accepting my essay to get in here, lol. I'm not super sure of what goals I have yet, but I'm working on them, so probably next month, I can get in on this part. I don't know how to navigate MFP real good, but I do know how to accept friend requests, so help a girl out huh?

B) Stayed under my calories for the day
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Oct 24—one week to Halloween!!!!!

Cals. 1468
    Carbs. 26
    Steps. 16,321

Act mins. 303/300—I....really don’t know how that happened :)

So I’ve been pretty focused for a month now, and am starting to feel some results. My resting heart rate is down and I’m more alert and not often hungry. I decided not to weigh myself when I began and to get a good 6 weeks or so under my belt (ha! Like they would fit!) before I ventured onto the scale so as not to be discouraged at the outset. I did measure Oct 1 and am curious as to what next Wednesday’s measurements will show. I’ll drag the scale out on my birthday (cause I’m a masochist like like) and record how I start my year.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for accepting my essay to get in here, lol. I'm not super sure of what goals I have yet, but I'm working on them, so probably next month, I can get in on this part. I don't know how to navigate MFP real good, but I do know how to accept friend requests, so help a girl out huh?

B) Stayed under my calories for the day

I was the one who caught your request. :lol:
    Welcome!
    I do a Basics challenge every month, so you can hang here and do whatever. It's your show. I'm just providing a place or support and encouragement. Focus on as many or as few goals as work for you.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Tues10/24:
    Exercise: Tabata and Ab video t98155.gif
    8/8

• tishsmith101
    Options
    @baconslave my office gym offers Tabata during lunch hour once a week. I'm not terribly coordinated so I tend to avoid classes and stick to elliptical. Would you recommend?

10/24
    Planning and packing breakfast/lunch the night before - :)
    Start using Fitbit again - :neutral: I think I need a new one, Zip isn't enough anymore
    Logging my entire day's food in the morning :)
    80 oz water daily :)
    Vitamins daily (especially weekends) :smile:
    Accomplish one put off household task daily - :) not a chore per se but I made keto bagels
    Be more patient with others :)
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to post, but all is going well over here :+1: