New Keto-er - What the heck do I order at Starbucks? HELP!!

Options

Replies

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options

And THAT'S another THING!! Football! Let me inform you... *tears off on a complete rant on whether it's rugby, football and the difference between football and soccer....!*[/quote]

Better look up the etymology before you go down that street.

• BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    vo5gre2bq953.jpeg
    If I want a coffee, I just want a coffee. If I want an espresso, I want an espresso - that is, no more than three-quarters-of-an-inch of strong black coffee, in a small porcelain cup. If I want a macchiato, I want an espresso with a spoonful of milk foam on the top.
    Forget the fancy caramel, whipped cream, sprinklins, toffee, syrups and marshmallows and any other 'porcheria' these establishments insist on adding, while still daring to call them Italian names...! Davvero...?! WTF is wrong with a simple cup of coffee and some milk - ?!
    I’ve become a coffee purist but I didn’t start out that way.

Now I love a black coffee (a little salt in the grounds though) and at coffee shops I get an americano.
    This was mine and a friends coffee a few days again at a place in Dayton Ohio we met at.
    Mine is Americano and she had the cappuccino.
    They were both great!

Where at in Dayton? That's near me!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

And THAT'S another THING!! Football! Let me inform you... *tears off on a complete rant on whether it's rugby, football and the difference between football and soccer....!*

Better look up the etymology before you go down that street.

[/quote]

Yah, I know.... hence the inaudible rant....!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @AlexandraCarlyle, sí puo incontrare non solamente americani negli Starbucks in Italia... Hmm?

Si, ma non vuol dire che e universalmente popolare.... e i Baristi sono sempre incavolati! :D

I think their main 'lament' is 'se non e rotto, non aggiustarlo!"

Madonna mia! If that were how Italians think, the Renaissance would never have seen the light of day....
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    AlexandraCarlyle wrote: » You'll have to forgive me; I'm one of these die-hard Italian women that simply CANNOT understand the attraction of all these convoluted, corrupted and frankly, over-made, over-blown (in my opinion) disgusting embellished so-called 'coffees' that are available through these outlets.
    If I want a coffee, I just want a coffee. If I want an espresso, I want an espresso - that is, no more than three-quarters-of-an-inch of strong black coffee, in a small porcelain cup. If I want a macchiato, I want an espresso with a spoonful of milk foam on the top.
    Forget the fancy caramel, whipped cream, sprinklins, toffee, syrups and marshmallows and any other 'porcheria' these establishments insist on adding, while still daring to call them Italian names...!
    Davvero...?!
    WTF is wrong with a simple cup of coffee and some milk - ?!

And before anyone leaps down my throat defensively, I actually know I'm representing a nation of actually true, authentic Italian 'Baristas' who actually attend catering college for some considerable time to qualify for the title, and who cannot for the life of them either understand or condone such shenanigans. They take deep offense at the bastardization of Italy's national drink, and why shouldn't they?
    Just as cultural appropriation is frowned upon - so, let me tell you, is this.
    Wouldn't it be dreadful if Italians made burgers and claimed to make them better and more attractively than Americans? Can't be done!

Ok, I'm done now. Finito.
    Thank you for your time.

We just moved back from Italy and I totally understand your rant.

I love the taste of a good espresso and I miss the cappuccinos and macchiato and drinking it in a cup and saucer. Plus the price range in American dollars for a good cappacino ranged from $1 - 2.50. I find Starbucks overpriced, over sugared and calorie high drinks unappealing. We have a Nespresso and a Keurig. A relative tried to tell me the capsules of coffee for the Nespresso were overpriced...about 50 - 75 cents per capsule...plus Nespresso recycles the capsules for free. A simple cappuccino at Starbucks starts at $3.00? I would say invest in a good espresso maker and a frother and avoid Starbucks. You can find used ones on Craigslist. I recently bought a second one from Amazon for my Husband's office.

As for the burgers, the best one I had in my life was at Pop's Place in Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Pictures of a typical place to buy coffee in northern Italy and my husband. Euro rate to dollars = E1.18 to 1 dollar.

fqc4teicbikk.jpg
    tzosfx5sfigl.jpg
    98j75gjbm39e.jpg
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle, sí puo incontrare non solamente americani negli Starbucks in Italia... Hmm?

Si, ma non vuol dire che e universalmente popolare.... e i Baristi sono sempre incavolati! :D

I think their main 'lament' is 'se non e rotto, non aggiustarlo!"

Madonna mia! If that were how Italians think, the Renaissance would never have seen the light of day....

Il rinascimento means 're-birth' so they weren't so much re-inventing the wheel as improving on the design. Perspective came into being! The circle became the orb!

@bisky, marvellous post, thank you so much! Grazie mille!! ((abbraccio!))
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @bisky, whereabouts in Northern Italy? My family hails from Lombardia round Lago Maggiore...
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Coffee from home or office with 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream and liquid stevia in choice of my flavor for the day. 100 calories/2 Tbsp cream and it is a smooth heavenly drink. Make it a 16oz and that is still just 200 cals. Saving money and calories makes it gourmet.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Starbucks? I wouldnt but if everyone was going there I would get a Columbian black coffee. If eating involved maybe 90% caco dark chocolate bar.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    vo5gre2bq953.jpeg
    Forget the fancy caramel, whipped cream, sprinklins, toffee, syrups and marshmallows and any other 'porcheria' these establishments insist on adding, while still daring to call them Italian names...! Davvero...?! WTF is wrong with a simple cup of coffee and some milk - ?!
    I’ve become a coffee purist but I didn’t start out that way.

Now I love a black coffee (a little salt in the grounds though) and at coffee shops I get an americano.
    This was mine and a friends coffee a few days again at a place in Dayton Ohio we met at.
    Mine is Americano and she had the cappuccino.
    They were both great!

Where at in Dayton? That's near me!!

It’s Ghostlight Coffee near the university.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Americano with steamed heavy cream....Yum
  • ivyleeger
    ivyleeger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You'll have to forgive me; I'm one of these die-hard Italian women that simply CANNOT understand the attraction of all these convoluted, corrupted and frankly, over-made, over-blown (in my opinion) disgusting embellished so-called 'coffees' that are available through these outlets.
    Forget the fancy caramel, whipped cream, sprinklins, toffee, syrups and marshmallows and any other 'porcheria' these establishments insist on adding, while still daring to call them Italian names...!
    Davvero...?!
    WTF is wrong with a simple cup of coffee and some milk - ?!

And before anyone leaps down my throat defensively, I actually know I'm representing a nation of actually true, authentic Italian 'Baristas' who actually attend catering college for some considerable time to qualify for the title, and who cannot for the life of them either understand or condone such shenanigans. They take deep offense at the bastardization of Italy's national drink, and why shouldn't they?
    Just as cultural appropriation is frowned upon - so, let me tell you, is this.
    Wouldn't it be dreadful if Italians made burgers and claimed to make them better and more attractively than Americans? Can't be done!

Ok, I'm done now. Finito.
    Thank you for your time.

When I traveled in Italy, I was surprised that 99% of food/beverage/quick mart/truck stops ALL had espresso machines.....and a small liquor section that I would load up on Lemoncello. Oh my my my........
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Our city road trip this past Saturday culminated in a pitstop at Starbucks for dessert on the way home (I was all black coffee'd out from the day!). It wasn't busy and I had a chance to chat with the barista about some different options. Sugar-free syrups are slim-pickings during the non-Christmas season. I decided to mix things up from my ordinary sugar-filled mocha delight and tried the sugar-free Cinnamon Dulce syrup in a latte made with heavy cream.

I had always assumed ordering "skinny" was low-fat/skim milk, but it also includes SF syrup... So the proper order would be "skinny cinnamon dulce latte with heavy cream"

I am a lover of cinnamon and spice, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got a venti and about 3/4 of the way through, whatever artificial sweetener is used in it started to leave a bad taste in my mouth, but that it a usual reaction for me so I'm not normally a big fan of AFs, but it did take a while to catch up to my taste buds, so that is a good thing.
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My friend just recommended these flavor drops she puts in her coffee. They are made with stevia and contain no calories and 1g carbs per ‘squirt’. However it’s pretty flavorful and sweet so 1/2 squirt was fine for me.prettyvtasty and have me that flavor I’ve been missing in my keto coffee.

They make them in vanilla/caramel/chocolate/coconut and regular. Here’s the link in amazon if anyone’s interested.

SweetLeaf Sweet Drops Liquid Stevia Variety 5 Pack 1.7 fl. oz each https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IF9UBW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0F29zbPX8ES5W
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ugh, Starbucks. Even their plain coffees are crap. I'm with you @AlexandraCarlyle! If you want a coffee flavoured dessert, get it sone other way, lol.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle!

We lived in Aviano. Our house was 0.25 miles from the road up to the ski area Piancavallo. I don't think I was ever served a cappuccino or espresso in a styrofoam or paper cup.

bml4s7q8y7ci.jpg
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Well, if you look up Porto Valtravaglia on Lago Maggiore (which is almost exactly at the other end of the country, virtually level to where you lived) that's where my family lives.... Ah, wonderful days. I love the Alps!!
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Venti Americano hot or iced depending on my mood and the weather. Occasionally add cream.
  • KetoKattt
    KetoKattt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you order the Iced Coffee, it comes as default with the classic syrup in it. Or at least it did when I ordered it last week!
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    They have heavy whipping cream behind the counter if you ask for it. That in an Americano and a bag of nuts and you are set.