Protein

Options

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 you're lucky you can get your protein without much effort.

Nah. I'm not lucky. I'd much rather eat ice cream than plain Greek yogurt. Eating ice cream with no ill effects would be lucky. Plates full of bacon rather than lean pork tenderloin would be lucky.

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt with some berries, ir my favorite - my gocery store sells rotisserie chicken already shredded off the carcass, eady peasy anytime. Eggs or I've even taken to adding beef collagen (with about 20g protein) to my morning coffee. Protein can be tough, I agree.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Facebook is creepy. An add popped up on my newsfeed regarding "The best protein sources for diabetics."

Of course I clicked on it. It was basically a click bait article. Not much substantial info. And definitely low carb but not keto.

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch the video: https://healthination.com/health/best-proteins-for-diabetics?utm_campaign=diabetescontent&utm_source=fbpaid&pl=diabetes-diet
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I am T2D, and I have P-35%, C-5%, and F-60%. I have to be pretty mindful of the protein since the target is 158, and I try to have 50 - 60 grams per meal to spread it out. I like canned mackerel and salmon, so if you look at the diary, I am often eating that for lunch at work. Frozen chicken breasts can be cooked and kept in the fridge, and you can have one with breakfast to boost the protein gram count for that meal.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    @2t9nty My life would be so much easier if I liked fish. I might try a small sample of salmon. I know it's so good for us...healthy fat and all. So things to try...cottage cheese and salmon. I'm kind of sick of chicken now. Of course I could eat bacon all day long! Can't stand the taste of turkey bacon. And I love turkey.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Facebook is creepy. An add popped up on my newsfeed regarding "The best protein sources for diabetics."

Of course I clicked on it. It was basically a click bait article. Not much substantial info. And definitely low carb but not keto.

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch the video: https://healthination.com/health/best-proteins-for-diabetics?utm_campaign=diabetescontent&utm_source=fbpaid&pl=diabetes-diet

Facebook spies on your browsing history to target advertising. Some are bothered by that, but tbh, I've been shown some insightful products as a result. Then other ads end up showing me stuff I recently bought and won't again for awhile (such as a sleeping bag or something else that doesn't get replaced for years). Still, it isn't all bad.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Jigglypuff00 - Look at different ways to prepare chicken. Chicken salad, we do shredded/chopped in Caesar Salad (skip the croutons or use parmesan crisps or pork rinds or nuts for crunch, and it's completely Keto with a good dressing), nacho style, crusted, dipping tenders, chicken bombs (which is a chicken breast wrapped around a cream and shredded cheese stuff jalapeno - then the chicken wrapped in bacon, and then basted while cooking in a sugar free barbeque sauce), chicken as pizza crust (you can just pound it thin, or you can cook it as crush), and goodness, countless recipes. Oh...Cracklin' Chicken by NomNomPaleo is a fan favorite...

Because chicken is such a blank palate, you can build nearly ANY flavor on top of it...

Ranch chicken, Low Carb Chicken Parm, etc.... (EDITED TO ADD - many of these can be done with turkey, too...or even ground turkey mixed with ground beef to up the protein, etc. Don't forget ground chicken is an option, too, for patties, etc.)

I've got a recipe to make sardines into a spread that's supposed to be really tasty, but I'll admit I haven't braved it. I love Braunschweiger (liverwurst) sometimes...

Pork, especially tenderloin, is another that accepts a TON of recipe options...
  • kpk54
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Shrimp is a good source of protein. Like shrimp? Provides a big hit of sodium too. Shrimp boiled in water and Old Bay. Shrimp sautéed in butter, garlic,lemon. Takes only a few minutes. Overcooked shrimp is tough and rubbery. Nasty.

Flounder is a very mild, easily found in-store frozen fish. As much as I like salmon, I personally think it is one of the "fishier" tasting fish. Cod is fairly mild too IMO.

If you like spicy, make blackened fish. I've never purchased Emeril's Essence (spice blend) but his recipe for Bayou Blast is all over the Internet. I started making it years ago when I was eating low sodium (had high blood pressure) and cut out most of the salt in the recipe. Now I add the salt. Unless you like "really hot", I'd limit some of the cayenne also.

Blackened chicken is also tasty. If you're into limiting fat and upping protein, blackened chicken is tasty, quick and easy once you pound out the skinless, boneless chicken breast. A thinly pounded chicken breast cooks quickly. Overcooked it is dry and tasteless.

Picatta. Recipes on line. Omit the scant coating of flour. Both chicken and fish picatta are tasty and quick. A little butter/oil, add white wine, lemon juice, capers at the end. Saute some fresh mushrooms or broccoli or both and you have dinner.

Rachel Ray's Everything Gumbo recipe is good to me. Eating the sauce isn't a requirement. A little sauce adds a lot of flavor though. Andouille , shrimp, chicken. Protein with a different flavor blend from the gumbo. Certainly not a high fat meal since you are wanting to limit your fat intake. The file' in the gumbo is not needed. IMO. It is a "thickener" that makes things slimy. It is sassafras root.

Get creative in the kitchen.
  • kpk54
    Options
    If you eat sliced deli meats (aka lunch meat, cold cuts), a few months ago someone posted an enchilada that was wrapped in sliced deli meat versus a tortilla. I thought that was brilliant.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I discovered that my exhaustion was not from low sodium but from low potassium and low magnesium. I now take a 1/4 tsp of No Salt for potassium and 2tsp of Natural Calm for mag every morning and it has helped tremendously. Maybe TMI but yr body will tell u if u r taking too much of either elyte if you get cramps or have very loose stools. A little goes a long way
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    @KPK54 I saw that post! I thought of trying it with ham.

I've decided I'm not going to worry about getting in my protein. I checked my protein reports, and they aren't as bad as I thought. I'm usually under, but not by a lot. My carbs are almost always over, and I'm still losing weight. Now that I'm keeping track of my sodium, I'll see if that helps with my overall weakness and fatigue.

But I will look for other ways to up my protein, but not going to stress about it anymore. It is what it is.

Thank you for all the replies!
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    @Shron123 I do use No Salt as well, and drink pickle juice a couple of times a day. I take a magnesium sup some days, not always. I'll try taking it every day. My potassium is usually around 1k. MFP doesn't track magnesium. How much of each should be we be getting?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If you eat sliced deli meats (aka lunch meat, cold cuts), a few months ago someone posted an enchilada that was wrapped in sliced deli meat versus a tortilla. I thought that was brilliant.

I'd probably pair the meat types together at first...ham for pork enchiladas, roast beef for beef enchiladas, roast chicken for chicken enchiladas, etc. Just to get flavor profiles matched before experimenting! LOL But this sounds AWESOME.
  • kpk54
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

I'd probably pair the meat types together at first...ham for pork enchiladas, roast beef for beef enchiladas, roast chicken for chicken enchiladas, etc. Just to get flavor profiles matched before experimenting! LOL But this sounds AWESOME.

I'd be inclined to do the same but then I think of something like Chicken Cordon Blue. Now there's another tasty chicken recipe with protein within protein within protein. Recipes on line. Skip the breading or do the keto thing and coat with crushed pork rinds/parmesean cheese.

A meat mallet is a handy kitchen tool for those eating chicken breasts. Even if they're not pounded out to a quarter inch for quick cooking s/b chicken breasts are much less dry and boring when pounded out to be the same thickness so half of it isn't overcooked. It takes a few hits/pounds and a few seconds once one gets the technique down.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Shron123 I do use No Salt as well, and drink pickle juice a couple of times a day. I take a magnesium sup some days, not always. I'll try taking it every day. My potassium is usually around 1k. MFP doesn't track magnesium. How much of each should be we be getting?

@Jigglypuff00 - I found that adding potassium first made me dump magnesium like crazy. Magnesium is harder to get in foods for a whole number of reasons, so most folks have to do a supplement. I almost never add potassium, but I take 400-800 mg of chelated magnesium glycinate a day... It is used in over 300 bodily processes. They say 75% of the first world population is deficient, and most of those people don't even know. It will never show up on a blood test unless you're on death's door, because the body keeps water, sodium, magnesium, and potassium in a delicate balance in the blood by stealing those things from your muscles and bones...

I had to double dose for over a year before bringing my dosage back to a single daily dose again...I was that deficient...
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    My appointment with the dietitian can't come early enough! I just hope she doesn't try to talk me out of eating keto. I'll be so disappointed. It's the only woe that worked for me.

If she does ignore her and remember they are trained to work following the old fashioned 'American Diet' which has been largely (pun intended!!) debunked. Keep on Keto-ing it's worked really well for you and as we know you are now in Onderland!!!! o:)o:)

• Jigglypuff00
    Options
    My appointment with the dietitian can't come early enough! I just hope she doesn't try to talk me out of eating keto. I'll be so disappointed. It's the only woe that worked for me.

If she does ignore her and remember they are trained to work following the old fashioned 'American Diet' which has been largely (pun intended!!) debunked. Keep on Keto-ing it's worked really well for you and as we know you are now in Onderland!!!! o:)o:)

Well, in and out! LOL! I was expecting either 201.2 or 200.8. Not the number I saw! I was so excited. Then let down. Who knew you could gain a pound within a couple of minutes?!?! LOL!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @Jigglypuff00 I would, if you get on and off your scales too often quickly they stop working properly until later (possibly through sheer annoyance with us!) I bet you are back down tomorrow and if not, you are sooooooo close now it will be just a day or two. <3
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cook some chicken each week and shred it... you can use it so many ways. Lots of protein!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My highest fat seems to come from bacon, eggs and avocados. And then from any other type of meat I eat. Might be chicken, hamburg, ham, turkey. Or Ranch salad dressing, cheese, peanut butter.

When I first started, I put butter on everything. Cooked with coconut oil, olive oil. I lost the bulk of my weight during that part! Now, I rarely use butter. I do use olive oil at times, but I use Pam most of the time.

And now I'm worried about my protein shake! It's like the easiest way to add protein for me! Sunny Bunny! LOL! My appointment with the dietitian can't come early enough! I just hope she doesn't try to talk me out of eating keto. I'll be so disappointed. It's the only woe that worked for me.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to stress you out.
    I will say that if it were me, I would use a protein shake rather than be low on protein. In my opinion, that’s still a better choice. Now that I think about it, I do see recipes using protein powder often in the Dr Bernstein Facebook group, so if he’s ok with people using it then maybe my warning should be taken lightly.
    It makes sense that eating a whole food source of protein is the best option but if you are just not having success getting enough protein overall doing that, then if it were me, I would probably go ahead and have it.
    The only other tips I could offer would be to maybe eat less fatty meats like the bacon and opt for more lean meats to make reaching the protein easier without overeating from an energy balance perspective.
    Also, you mention using Pam. Is that a vegetable oil? Do they have another spray oil option? One that’s coconut oil or avocado or something?