General Chat

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    mfp2chris wrote: »
    Regarding 'active commuting' I purchased a little house specifically along a bike path that goes directly to my work. It takes 12 mins to drive along the streets with traffic and about 17 to peacefully bicycle along by myself with the birds and the squirrels and the kids that walk along going to the local High School. So of course 99.9% of the time I drive. I love commuting by bicycle, and didn't have a car for ten years where it was a daily thing. Now? I just don't know what I'm thinking.

I really enjoy my morning/evening walk, it gives me time to wake up before work and clear my head. Takes me about 35 minutes because there's a big hill in the middle so I there's a steep uphill walk both there and back. I have access to a car sometimes but don't own one, I am not convinced I ever want to buy one for that exact reason lol
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    there is no way I can currently commute to work other than car - but it is something I will definitely consider if/when I move house or job.

I used to walk to work when I lived in York and loved it - partly cos it allowed me my pre-work smoke. :D stopped that now and the fresher air would be great
  • beerfoamy
    Morning to all! (or the wide open space with tumble weed -whichever :p)

how is everyone's day shaping up?

I have lifted the heavy things and swum 3km
    I have had lil brekkie and have protein shake and apple (and maybe mince pie) for lunch
    then all you can eat Cosmo for tea! where I will have many a bbq rib, some southern fried chicken strips, lots of king prawns, some beef and sweet and sour chicken and some fruit/mini cakes for pudding. I have always picked the meat out of all the dishes for best stomach filling to price ratio! haha

balance! :D

• tinkerbellang83
    Not off to a great start here, I was woken by a phone call an hour before my alarm from the Philippines to say one of my crew was denied boarding a flight (I work for a shipowner) so had to get a taxi into work earlier than I normally start and get flights all changed. So no walk to work this morning :bawling:

I did switch my rest days around in the end as I'm going to an art exhibition and then out for dinner. So did a full-body strength training sesh last night. Lunch is a pretty bland made-ahead chicken & Sweetcorn pasta.
  • beerfoamy
    oh ouch!! :( you got your coffee/tea/morning drink of choice by now and everything settled?
    yeah life can really get in the way! hope your crew member is ok! mega stressful flight day :(

ooh but chicken and sweetcorn, not had that mix in ages!

what type/style of art? sounds fun evening. will make up for early taxi :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    oh ouch!! :( you got your coffee/tea/morning drink of choice by now and everything settled?
    yeah life can really get in the way! hope your crew member is ok! mega stressful flight day :(

ooh but chicken and sweetcorn, not had that mix in ages!

what type/style of art? sounds fun evening. will make up for early taxi :)

Yeah I hit the diet coke early and some Orkney Rum & Raisin fudge too that someone brought in for us.

A friend is studying geology as a hobby and there is an artist who used to work for the geological society who travelled up and down Ireland sketching and painting as he went, I've visited quite a lot of the places he has drawn/painted so it'll be quite interesting I think. http://www.crawfordartgallery.ie/Du-Noyer.html
  • beerfoamy
    ah cool. ooh fudge - gotta love it :D

great pics too :) Geology 'as a hobby' baffles me - but then I do believe I am done with learning. Admire it in others! haha
  • tinkerbellang83
    ah cool. ooh fudge - gotta love it :D

great pics too :) Geology 'as a hobby' baffles me - but then I do believe I am done with learning. Admire it in others! haha

I kinda like it myself too, but not enough to pay to study it, I just like pretty rocks and landscapes.

Jel of the buffet dinner, I haven't been for buffet dinner for ageees
  • beerfoamy
    hehe tis a good one too as it is allll world foods :) can have a roast dinner with sweet and sour chicken! :p fusion!
  • tinkerbellang83
    T'was the work christmas party last night, feel like today is probably going to be a bad food day. Had the good sense to drink plenty of water before bed but there was a lot of (delicious) red wine at dinner so there's a bit of head fog going on this morning.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    ^^^^ Oh dear!

I have not partook of any alcohol yet. There is some lovely spiced gin and mulled wine though that are calling to me. Crimbo Day and maybe New Year. Will be at work New Year's Day as usual, so not too much of the good stuff. Really ought to buy a good whisky maybe that should go on Crimbo want list ha!

Food today is kitten loads. 3010 cals again. Lots of snacks - just downed a packet marmite crisps, chunky kitkat, digestive biccy, handful of trail mix, a mug o' soup broccoli and stilton and now sipping on meritene made into hot chocolate. Burp!

On a woman's issue note the hot flushes have returned with a vengeance even though herbal remedies, chose not to HRT.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Mine was around 3000 yesterday but it will be back to normal the rest of the week I'd say (although just pre-ordered a Domino's deal for lunch :lol:)

I don't think Christmas and New Year will be as bad for me.

Sorry to hear about the hot flush, doesn't sound like fun!
  • beerfoamy
    heya!
    yay for stealth skiving! less yay for hangover - red wine is tad evil though. good night?
  • tinkerbellang83
    heya!
    yay for stealth skiving! less yay for hangover - red wine is tad evil though. good night?

Yeah it was pretty good, half the office were stuck working so wasn't sure how much fun it would be, but we made up for them being missing lol I am not normally a heavy wine drinker, occasionally have a glass of Rose in the bath or a glass of wine with dinner, but had around 4 glasses last night (I think) my boss kept topping everyone's glasses up so never actually got to the bottom of it and it was some pretty strong stuff too.
  • beerfoamy
    I generally don't do wine. (I mean, I'll drink anything if it is around) More beer and cocktails for me.
    glad you made up for people not being there though!
    I went to Manchester Sunday/Monday, ostensibly for shopping, but we played mini golf, had 3 visits to the amazing ice cream parlour with 50 different flavours so there was fun too!

Is this your last week of work?
    I get released at 1pm Fri and am off to laser quest and pizza hut for buffet (hmmmm I am 31!! haha clearly reliving school days exactly with this!)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Jelly of all the peeps who have 2 - 3 weeks off at Crimbo...I get my two days - 25th and 26th (first time ever in 5 years). Then back to the grind. I had my hols earlier in the year so 2 weeks in summer balances it out I guess. Not really a Crimbo lover...

I tend to prefer white wine. Or there is that really fruity red one, not strong which is very more-ish...I go for spirits mostly.

Nearly lunchtime....gym sesh tonight.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Is this your last week of work?
    I get released at 1pm Fri and am off to laser quest and pizza hut for buffet (hmmmm I am 31!! haha clearly reliving school days exactly with this!)

haha ahhh Laserquest, I remember those days. We finish up at lunchtime on Friday, I am back in to cover the office on Wednesday for half day then just working from home until the 2nd. Heading back to the UK next Thursday for the weekend.

I don't know who keeps thinking that Monday nights are a good plan for our Christmas night out, having to come in on a Tuesday with a hangover and a whole week of work ahead is painful :lol:

• beerfoamy
    @nexangelus
    2 days! wow, seems harsh! but yeah if you have balanced earlier in the year......:)

I like Christmas - I LOVE having 22ndf-2nd Jan off work. It's all about the not working!! :D

yay lunch! Team christmas meal, then tonight I have back to back squash games for the league! ouch

what are you doing in the gym?
  • tinkerbellang83
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Jelly of all the peeps who have 2 - 3 weeks off at Crimbo...I get my two days - 25th and 26th (first time ever in 5 years). Then back to the grind. I had my hols earlier in the year so 2 weeks in summer balances it out I guess. Not really a Crimbo lover...

I tend to prefer white wine. Or there is that really fruity red one, not strong which is very more-ish...I go for spirits mostly.

Nearly lunchtime....gym sesh tonight.

I never liked Red Wine much until my birthday this year, it's funny how your tastes change over time isn't it.

This is the one we were on...
    https://www.donnybrookfair.ie/boekenhoutskloof-the-chocolate-block-2014
  • beerfoamy
    @tinkerbellang83
    haha yeah Monday nights may be cheaper out? but you pay more in morning

and that is a tres posh bottle of wine!! tasty!