Christmas vs bad carbs

123sind
123sind Posts: 80 Member
With Christmas coming up and all the shops full of Christmas goody i think my carb devil is going to win for a bit. But i shall be back on after Christmas. Hopefully with only a very small grain.
Happy Christmas All

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    It's really hard to remember sometimes, but a "self care" post recently said, "It is becoming the person you know you want and are meant to be. Someone who knows that salt baths and chocolate cake are ways to enjoy life – not escape from it."

https://thoughtcatalog.com/brianna-wiest/2017/11/this-is-what-self-care-really-means-because-its-not-all-salt-baths-and-chocolate-cake/

Hard to read, hard to swallow, hard to be a mature grown up doing what's right for myself long term... (HUGS)

Thanks for sharing that link @KnitOrMiss, I really needed to hear that right now.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Another help may be to plan ahead and make a few fat bombs if you feel like that would help you resist that carb devil.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    123sind wrote: »
    Oh thanks all, reading your message makes me realise i can still stay on the wagon. And after a bad 2 days i fell blotted and sick. I shall go back to my low carbs again.

There is much to be said for listening to what your body is really telling you. The challenge is telling when it is your body speaking, and when it is your mind and tastebuds craving just a "few" Doritos.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Going off plan does not mean you gain 20 pounds... it’s how you handle yourself after you go off plan :smile:

That's soooo true and the problem I've tended to have in the past. I think I've broken my diet put on three pounds over night why continue.......No more!! The devil >:) will be there and probably, no certainly will win occasionally (Italian Christmas!!) but the angel o:) will be fighting back!

• Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    My plan (already in effect) is to eat low carb in the mornings and early afternoons and then allow carbs in the evenings... I find I only put a few lbs of water back on that way. Xmas day(s) all bets are off. I'll eat whatever I want in front of me as life is far too short to deliberately not eat food i like :) After Jan 1 it'll be back on the 80/20 lchf/whatever and back to the gym :)
  • goatlady6
    goatlady6 Posts: 37 Member
    So glad to hear that others "have a plan" for the Holidays. Being so new at this I feared what would happen. No more! I will be selective and if that bloat creeps up I will know to back off. I have a slight advantage (if you can call it that) in that my Celiac prevents me from eating much of the really bad treats. I dont really crave them cause I know it could be detrimental to my gut...but I WILL say yes to the twice baked potatoes and some fruit salad! And now my mouth is watering just thinking about Christmas Dinner! Double serving of Raw Beef and ditto the next day of Prime Rib for me please!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I managed to keep carbs low for Christmas, etc. I did not meet calorie goals every day, and that was my dietary squishiness. At the cookie and cracker table, you just get get hard salami, cheese and liver pâté and skip the cookies, fudge, etc. This seemed to work pretty well for me.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    edited December 2017
    Such great, supportive and non-judgemental attitudes on here, both from the people happy to splurge during the holidays and the ones preparing to stay on track.

I had my first sugar splurge two days ago when preparing for my son's birthday party (no, I'm not just serving the kids rolled up salami and no cake) and I had about 8 Oreos, a bunch of marshmallows and some chocolate, all within the space of 10 minutes. I felt buzzy, then like I had food poisoning combined with a hangover headache that stayed all day.
    Yikes!
    It was good to get an idea of what an all-out splurge does to my body, particularly sugar. I went through my son's birthday the next day without touching the cake or any other carbs. No one really noticed, but they did comment on the fact that I wasn't drinking (alcohol).
    I'll aim to stay on track over Christmas but know I'll have a few drinks at a "Xmas afterparty" (no kids) on the 26th, I'm hoping that won't cause too much havoc, that sugar hangover was the grossest!

Does anyone have experience with drinking on LCHF? I have read the hangover is worse than on a carb diet...?
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Flybeetle wrote: »

Does anyone have experience with drinking on LCHF? I have read the hangover is worse than on a carb diet...?

Stay hydrated. Throw in water throughout the night and I've been fine. If you havent' had a good drinking night in a while you will find your tolerance down but otherwise i've felt no difference if i stay hydrated.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    and with the staying hydrated, stay salted...I do extra salt and extra water after drinking, so far I've actually had LESS hangovers, probably because I'm pretty trashed after 2 drinks...can't drink much = not hungover much...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    If you do go off plan, do it for one meal...then hop right back on. You can do this hopscotch over the holidays a few times without much damage. Maybe 1 or 2 meals in an entire week... I would not go fully off plan.

Remember, each bite is a new beginning. Just because you ate a plate full of cookies doesn't mean your next meal has to be off plan. You'll have some water retention, but full keto the rest of the time will take it back off.

And be selective. The only person you cheat on this way IS YOURSELF... We all deserve better than that, don't we? Making it sustainable by choosing specific instances to be off plan - that's what we deserve. Going whole hog off plan into carb-insanity? That's not fun for me anymore...but it may not be as hard on you...

It's really hard to remember sometimes, but a "self care" post recently said, "It is becoming the person you know you want and are meant to be. Someone who knows that salt baths and chocolate cake are ways to enjoy life – not escape from it."

https://thoughtcatalog.com/brianna-wiest/2017/11/this-is-what-self-care-really-means-because-its-not-all-salt-baths-and-chocolate-cake/

Hard to read, hard to swallow, hard to be a mature grown up doing what's right for myself long term... (HUGS)

Thanks for posting this. I'd seen it before, but needed to see it again.
  • goatlady6
    goatlady6 Posts: 37 Member
    I actually went out to dinner tonight for the first time on LCHF. My dinner didnt put me over my numbers either! Only on carbs I was -5 and that was from the salad and raspberry vinagrette. I had a great time and both of my daughters commented that I wasnt having a drink with dinner. I just had Club soda with a twist of lime. Since before LCHF I was probably an alcoholic or close to it, they were impressed to say the least. It's pretty weird but I dont seem to crave it anymore. This is the weirdest thing of all to me! When I have had a drink or two I do seem to be affected more, but I dont feel like I have to have more than that!