General Chat

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! I'm at work right now, (shh don't tell on me) and already starting to feel hungry... Got up early this morning though and did my dvd work out. My husband was also up and cooked me eggs and coffee. But that was already 4 hours ago... I have another 2 hours until lunch. My job is really awesome and provides lunch for us everyday, but it's buffet meals and it's free, so it's hard for me to have self control. Instead I've started bringing my lunch to work and only eating the salad from the buffet. It's hard to resist, but easier than me overeating from the buffet. Does anyone else have problems with the free buffets? How do you consume responsibly? Lol!

I'm at work too! When I worked on the bases we used the same dining hall as the troops and I would have that issue where everything was free, I used to just try and stick to some meat and salad and avoid the dessert section.

Is it mostly the same stuff every day?
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes indeedy, I was on them working for the company that provides the coffee shops and convenience shops on camp for the Brits. Also did a stint working for another defence contractor but that was short-lived.

So neat! World traveler!!!
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    Hello friends! I'm at work right now, (shh don't tell on me) and already starting to feel hungry... Got up early this morning though and did my dvd work out. My husband was also up and cooked me eggs and coffee. But that was already 4 hours ago... I have another 2 hours until lunch. My job is really awesome and provides lunch for us everyday, but it's buffet meals and it's free, so it's hard for me to have self control. Instead I've started bringing my lunch to work and only eating the salad from the buffet. It's hard to resist, but easier than me overeating from the buffet. Does anyone else have problems with the free buffets? How do you consume responsibly? Lol!

I'm at work too! When I worked on the bases we used the same dining hall as the troops and I would have that issue where everything was free, I used to just try and stick to some meat and salad and avoid the dessert section.

No, it's a different buffet every day, with delicious food! The deserts are obvious for me to avoid, but still hard. But it's just hard in general to know what the calories are with the chicken wings, or Salisbury steak, or stuffed potatoes, homemade pizza, complete taco bar, meatloaf and gravy, stuffed cabbage with rice, etc. I work with developmentally disabled students at a hotel and the hotel treats us like we're hotel staff (so so so nice!). It's all free and all delicious... Ugh!!! Why can't I have better self control? :D
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

No, it's a different buffet every day, with delicious food! The deserts are obvious for me to avoid, but still hard. But it's just hard in general to know what the calories are with the chicken wings, or Salisbury steak, or stuffed potatoes, homemade pizza, complete taco bar, meatloaf and gravy, stuffed cabbage with rice, etc. I work with developmentally disabled students at a hotel and the hotel treats us like we're hotel staff (so so so nice!). It's all free and all delicious... Ugh!!! Why can't I have better self control? :D

Oh that's lovely and annoying at the same time. You can probably get a reasonably good idea for most food items from the USDA database for things like the chicken wings or steak or breakdown items by ingredient. I'd probably just try and stick to stuff that would be easier to account for if I was having anything at all.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options

At work here too! heh

Would it be a possibility to have a larger lunch, allow yourself more calories for all the yummy free food, then have a much smaller dinner in the evening?
    (I hasten to add that I would struggle with doing that myself as evening are when I like to cupboard radi so usually save cals for then. :/ )
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am Lara Croft, Fridge Raider in the evenings too haqwrlcpnv4u25.jpg
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    Yeah, I've tried that, but because it's free and everyone eats so much, I end up taking way more than I need to - to the point I've overeaten for the whole day... sigh! And then I'm cooking yummy dinner for the family, but eating my simple hummus... So then I give in and eat dinner with them too. Not helpful. Today, I had some of the taco bar, but not the shell, in addition to my lunch from home. Was so hungry after my morning workout.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Yeah, I've tried that, but because it's free and everyone eats so much, I end up taking way more than I need to - to the point I've overeaten for the whole day... sigh! And then I'm cooking yummy dinner for the family, but eating my simple hummus... So then I give in and eat dinner with them too. Not helpful. Today, I had some of the taco bar, but not the shell, in addition to my lunch from home. Was so hungry after my morning workout.

In that case I'd probably try to strengthen my resolve and eat my own stuff most of the week, maybe you could have freebie food friday or one day a week where you have the buffet and work a little more into your day?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Good Morning Folks

kvzl00u095zk.jpg
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids so our food bill is normally scary!! I'd love some free food :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @amc2509 How do you manage your calorie intake when you're trying to cook for everyone? This comes up a lot in my newsfeed and in some of the forum threads, but being child-free it's not something I can relate to.
  • amc2509
    Options
    I generally cook from scratch and work out the entire calorie content of the meal... my hubbie eats a large portion of dinner, my daughter (12) and 2 boys (10 and 8) eat similar size portions, a bit less than me. I normally allocate 1/4 of the meals calories for myself. I used to try and make sure I had some excess calories every day to account for overestimates and this worked well for the first 6 months last year when I lost 1lb per week on average... I took a 6 month break and ate at maintenance. I'm back on track now and am hoping to lose 1lb per week until end of Feb (I gained 4lb in Dec!!) and then 0.5 until goal of 145
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    So you basically just all eat the same and portion accordingly. If it helps in terms of more accuracy for calorie calculating, another thread someone suggested weighing the entirety of the recipe, setting the total weight as the serving size and then you can use the weight of your portion as the number of servings.

For example if a Lasagne weighs 1250g, you enter the recipe as 1250 servings and your portion of say 405g you enter it as 405 servings.

I'd never thought about doing it this way until I saw it suggested but seems like a sensible way to do it if you're not the only one eating the portions.
  • amc2509
    Options
    I used to do something similar to this at the beginning, like I would cook a pot of potatos that I had pre-weighed, add a measured quantity of butter and milk and mash and weigh, then weigh the portions. After a while I got pretty good at guestimating the portions... I still meticulously weigh occasionally to keep myself in check! But in general this isn't feasible day to day! Dinner would be freezing and I'd be famished by the time I got to eat :smiley:
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just tare the scale and add everything at once the first time I enter the recipe, after that I tend to eyeball most things pretty well and do a spot check now and again.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    0pi4ndftmtti.jpg
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    do like Thursdays! and in 33 minutes I get pizza! woohoo!
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What's everyone's weekend plans? My positivity board goals this week/month include visiting a national park, treat myself to a foot spa reading a book, decluttering my room and making more effort to stay in touch with family. Some of these will help me meet my fitness/weight loss countdown challenge too.

So my plans are:

FRIDAY
    • After work clear out a couple of my shelves in my bedroom, to help with the decluttering
    • Shop for and prep my weekend food which is KFC Style baked chicken and Frylight Chips and Chicken Dinner.
    • Get out to do C25K Week 6 Day 2
    • Get my housework done.

SATURDAY
    • Leg Day
    • Head to Killarney National Park for a walk around the lakes
    • Sort through my wardrobe and clear out old clothes and start bagging some of my winter clothes up.
    • Give my mum a call

SUNDAY
    • Maybe head out to watch the Munster Game
    • Normal Sunday Meal Prep
    • Usual work week drudgery, ironing, etc
    • Do C25K Week 6 Day 3
    • Have a bath, glass of wine and use my foot spa
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

oooh what kind are you having?
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

oooh what kind are you having?

tesco made at counter, 14" double chicken, double pepperoni thin base with tomato sauce. :) had 1/3 last night, 1/3 for lunch, and last 1/3 for tea tonight. Love it. Super easy meals :D

This weekend:

Fri: after work go home and chill, maybe go for a walk with gf. Got M&S Dine in for 2 for £10 so that is that sorted

Sat: have other half of lasagne for brekkie after maybe doing a combat dvd or going to gym for SL 5x5 day
    go see step dad
    chill with gf
    mate is round at bout 6 for anime weekend - have saved some beers from xmas and if I do the combat dvd I can have all 3 hahah

Sun: anime til around 8pm, then food prep for week. Easy this week as am making big batch of bean burrito mix which should easily do me until Thurs when the next meat order arrives :)